News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 11:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3780714 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11445 on: September 18, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
I bought a laptop running Windows 7 and the seller insisted that he'd cleaned it.  Until I sent him a list of file names that I'd just removed by formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of the OS (he was lucky I had an install disk and a preacher for a dad who would have tanned my hide in his seventies and my fifties if I hadn't done the *right thing* and removed that information completely. Even if Dad didn't know how to do it, since I knew how to do it, I needed to do it. 

I started looking for "manufacturer refurbished" or "does not include operating system" notes on used computers.  That way, I felt a little more at ease about the hard drive having been wiped instead of someone just deleting files & missing everything under the name of a second user on the computer...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:55:44 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #11446 on: September 19, 2017, 04:05:39 AM »
Yesterday a friend's country-wide office email network was was suffering through what he calls the "Reply All-pocalypse". I wish it were a written warning worth offense to make the whole situation that much worse by hitting reply to all and saying "Please remove me" or "Please stop hitting reply all" and making the situation that much more irritating.   :-\  >:(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:09:03 AM by WolfWay »
<3

Gladly

« Reply #11447 on: September 19, 2017, 04:15:41 AM »
I don't think it resulted in PD, just a stern chat.

A colleague was telling me about an incident at his previous place of work.  The company's large, new email server ground to a halt.  This was because 2 employees had set up out of office messages, redirecting their emails to each other. 

Think about it for a moment....

MissRose

« Reply #11448 on: September 19, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »
Yesterday a friend's country-wide office email network was was suffering through what he calls the "Reply All-pocalypse". I wish it were a written warning worth offense to make the whole situation that much worse by hitting reply to all and saying "Please remove me" or "Please stop hitting reply all" and making the situation that much more irritating.   :-\  >:(

Honestly, in those situations, there should be a written warning to those who do a reply all and say stuff like "I am not part of that group or issue etc" or "Remove me" etc. 

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #11449 on: September 19, 2017, 05:52:42 AM »

A colleague was telling me about an incident at his previous place of work.  The company's large, new email server ground to a halt.  This was because 2 employees had set up out of office messages, redirecting their emails to each other. 

*winces*

Lo, many moons ago, I remember having to deal with the consequences of a similar mess. I think that was at about the time my company stopped offering our clients email accounts - in fact, I think it was probably one of the leading reasons we stopped.

o_gal

« Reply #11450 on: September 19, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
A while back, DH's workplace set out a bunch of file cabinets and marked them free. DH grabbed one.

He was going through it this weekend and realized that it's still full of documents...1099s and other tax forms.  :-X

I used to joke about my former workplace - the paperclips are locked up, but the forms with millions of SSNs and other info are on bookcases on the walls.... (Oh, and it was a Federal Govt office, too.)

In a previous workplace, none of the computer equipment was locked up. Server rooms did not have locks on them. Smaller equipment kept disappearing (the classic case of cleaning staff taking things at night - sometimes they would go through people's unlockable desk drawers to get stuff.) You could walk out of the building, past the security guards, with anything and no one would question you, because people did legitimately need to do some work at home overnight.

But when they were expanding one building, and putting in a beautiful and spacious foyer and reception area, they kept the marble tiles locked up overnight.

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #11451 on: September 19, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »

So it was a never-ending game of automated email ping pong? Wow. When we do out of office messages, it sends the O-O-O response once to each sender, and if they send another message later, it does not send the O-O-O response again. Then again, we don't have messages auto-forwarded.  :o

Yesterday we were at the DMV. A couple of the employees were talking about someone who had retired - apparently, abruptly. It was clear that the retiree was not going to be missed - no retirement party, but the staff wanted to have a party to celebrate the departure. I wondered how awful the retiree must have been and also thought it was rather unprofessional for them to have this conversation when/where customers could hear it.
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11452 on: September 19, 2017, 08:12:49 AM »

So it was a never-ending game of automated email ping pong? Wow. When we do out of office messages, it sends the O-O-O response once to each sender, and if they send another message later, it does not send the O-O-O response again. Then again, we don't have messages auto-forwarded.  :o

snip

We have had that happen twice in my section of the university. Both times, the accounts had to be suspended and manually cleared before the person got access again. It was a huge mess, and there were over 10K bounce back messages in each account.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Gladly

« Reply #11453 on: September 19, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »

snip

We have had that happen twice in my section of the university. Both times, the accounts had to be suspended and manually cleared before the person got access again. It was a huge mess, and there were over 10K bounce back messages in each account.

I gather that's what happened in this case.  As my colleague was the person who had to sort it out, my guess is that he probably disabled the auto-forward function. He'd have made darned sure he didn't have to do it again!  I don't know for sure, because it's not my story.

MyFamily

« Reply #11454 on: September 19, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »

So, my coworker used to work with your colleague?  She will schedule time off of work, not share it with any of her coworkers (her supervisor knows); and then set up her auto-reply telling people to contact me, without telling me (always fun to transfer a caller to her desk and then have them call back saying her voice mail says she's out of the office for a week and that all calls should be directed to me).  Then there was the time she did that and I was out of the office on training for two days (which was on the calendar) and not able to check my messages during the day at all, so that caused some great confusion.  And yet, it still doesn't even warrant a stern chat by her supervisor....
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

mime

« Reply #11455 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »
This is hard to call PD because the guy did this in his last week before retiring, but if he ever wanted to return to work (he was retiring a bit young on a buyout), he put himself in a bad position:

"Lyle" started setting up meetings with each person in the department for his last week of work. There were 15-20 of us. It turned out he kept a file on each person in the department, documenting dates and 'incidents' where he thought he was mistreated/insulted/whatever by us. The meetings he scheduled were for him to confront each person over all the horrible things they did or said to him over the years.

Personally, I had only worked with him for about 3 years. I did not like him at all, and did not hold him in very high regard-- I thought his work was not very thorough and that he was underqualified for his role and argumentative over everything. I think I kept those opinions to myself. When I heard about these meetings, I skipped out on mine. I took an afternoon off with 2 more of his 'targets', and we made ourselves scarce for his last day in the office.

What a way to go!
I'm surprised that this was allowed to go on after the first person.

sorry to bring this back after 3 pages, but...
it probably went so long because it took a few meetings for people to realize what was happening, and some of the first 'victims' just rolled their eyes and laughed at the whole thing knowing Lyle would be gone at the end of the week. Others just cancelled their meetings and skipped out. Finally, the Director over our department and VP over her both happened to be out of the office (one medical leave, one vacation), so the normal channels weren't operating very smoothly. HR was always a waste of time and red tape at that place.

Chipmunky

« Reply #11456 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »
As of 10:30 am today (Wednesday the 20th) Byte STILL has not contacted me by phone or email regarding the information to the other agency, nor has he sent said information and simply copied me on it.

Awesome Colleague emailed me this morning asking if I'd received a response yet, to which I stated I had not. During a subsequent phone call, we agreed that the lack of response was disturbing and ridiculous. I mentioned I had emails where I asked Byte what was going on, emails to Data regarding the matter, and emails showing Byte was made aware of when the confirmed information was available in part, when it was available in total, and that we'd requested this get done before the Labor Day holiday. Awesome Colleague requested I send her copies of those emails.

If Byte doesn't have a really darn good reason for what he's been doing/why this information isn't out yet, I anticipate it will not go well for him at all.  If he doesn't shape up by the time Boss Lady comes back, it will be worse for him- Boss Lady does not tolerate slacking off (she's fair and reasonable about people taking vacation, taking personal days, or if they've had a rough couple of days, doing something less stressful, as long as the work gets done in a timely fashion. Failing to do the work at all? baaaad move)

BeagleMommy

« Reply #11457 on: September 20, 2017, 10:39:09 AM »
My dad is retired, but works part-time at the driver's license center taking photos.  His position is paid through the disability office along with several others.  They have to be able to do the work according to the job description or the disability office will be called to either reprimand or replace them.

Cookie also has the same job through the disability office.  Whenever someone gets called to have their picture taken she manages to make some kind of round about pity party for herself.

Example:  patron lives in Snipsville.  Cookie says "oh, my late husband and I used to go to Snipsville all the time to go to the Greasy Spoon for breakfast but I can't go any more because he died 9 years ago and I'm not over it and can't imagine being at the Greasy Spoon without him and I just pray and pray and pray that I'll get to be with him some day".

She's been warned about this several times.  Now they are watching her and keeping count of the number of licenses she actually processes.  I don't see it ending well for Cookie.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11458 on: September 20, 2017, 06:28:59 PM »

Failure in the e-mail program. It should have recognized that it already forwarded the e-mail and stopped.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Peppergirl

« Reply #11459 on: September 21, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »

So, my coworker used to work with your colleague?  She will schedule time off of work, not share it with any of her coworkers (her supervisor knows); and then set up her auto-reply telling people to contact me, without telling me (always fun to transfer a caller to her desk and then have them call back saying her voice mail says she's out of the office for a week and that all calls should be directed to me).  Then there was the time she did that and I was out of the office on training for two days (which was on the calendar) and not able to check my messages during the day at all, so that caused some great confusion.  And yet, it still doesn't even warrant a stern chat by her supervisor....

POD POD. I nearly twitched with empathy when I read this. I had a boss who was famous for that. Would leave, direct people to me and would perhaps tell me she was off, but usually not.

The kicker was that the person calling for help usually had some convoluted mess that boss didn't share details with me about, leaving me to be forced to ask the customer to start over.  They love that!

Heck, I detest when that happens when I'm the customer so I get their frustration - it's just tough to be the messenger that's always shot. Particularly when it could be avoided with some management and communication. :(

Edited to correct spelling

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:45:14 PM by Peppergirl »