News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 03:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3623960 times)

CuriousParty

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11460 on: September 21, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
I accepted a resignation from someone who regularly threatened to quit.   My predecessor always caved in, and agreed to whatever this man wanted.  The first time he tried it with me was the only time he had the opportunity to try it.  Most satisfying..

It really is. I had an employee once who chafed at being supervised by a woman, and a young one at that. My boss hired him over my serious reservations - he had been in administration for his career and I thought it unlikely that he'd take to field work well in his retirement. Well I was right - his paperwork was a mess, his client meetings unproductive and poorly documented - things that could cause the business big problems. And of course it was my job to correct these things. He threatened to quit every time and my boss always soothed his wounded ego. Until I finally put my foot down - next time I'm accepting his resignation and it's him or me. She didn't know how to run the dingdangity place either. So the next time he threatened to quit he heard "If that's what you feel is best." So. Offended. He stormed out and wrote a three page letter to my boss about how unprofessional I had been to accept his resignation. I grinned like a Cheshire Cat for a week solid.

MrTango

« Reply #11461 on: September 22, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »
If you're a security guard and the policy book tells you not to do something because it will be a distraction from your duties, you probably shouldn't do it.

If you've been caught doing it and the supervisor gives you a verbal coaching, you probably shouldn't do it again.

When the supervisor checks the coaching log and realizes you've been coached before, and then gives you a verbal warning (with written confirmation to your employee file) at the end of the shift, you should stop doing it.

If, after a couple verbal warnings have been issued and the entire supervisory staff has been made aware of the pattern of behavior, you get caught again and written up, you really need to shape up.

In the end, I caught him again.  I knew that that point that his termination was just a matter of the Big Boss & HR person sitting down to do the paperwork, so I placed him on an unpaid suspension, which could only be lifted after a sit-down meeting with the Big Boss.  Apparently, the HR person just copied the suspension letter I wrote (which included the litany of documented coaching, warnings, and write-ups), changed the wording to indicate he was being terminated effective immediately, and that was the end of that little problem.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #11462 on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:29 PM »

If you've been skating on thin ice for a while, and in the middle of a huge argument with your manager you scream out, "I quit!", you shouldn't be surprised if your manager immediately accepts your resignation and no, is not interested in revisiting the topic.

And as a follow up...

When your manager discovers you hadn't done two particular jobs that by State statute had to be submitted in July and August, she's really not going to want to revisit the topic.

MissRose

« Reply #11463 on: September 24, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »
My dad is retired, but works part-time at the driver's license center taking photos.  His position is paid through the disability office along with several others.  They have to be able to do the work according to the job description or the disability office will be called to either reprimand or replace them.

Cookie also has the same job through the disability office.  Whenever someone gets called to have their picture taken she manages to make some kind of round about pity party for herself.

Example:  patron lives in Snipsville.  Cookie says "oh, my late husband and I used to go to Snipsville all the time to go to the Greasy Spoon for breakfast but I can't go any more because he died 9 years ago and I'm not over it and can't imagine being at the Greasy Spoon without him and I just pray and pray and pray that I'll get to be with him some day".

She's been warned about this several times.  Now they are watching her and keeping count of the number of licenses she actually processes.  I don't see it ending well for Cookie.

I am quite surprised with her lack of productivity and her complaining that she still works there.  In this day and age, you better behave yourself and do your job the best way you know how or face PD but then again by reading the stories here how long it takes (or if ever) those who are not productive etc still have work.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11464 on: September 25, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
My dad is retired, but works part-time at the driver's license center taking photos.  His position is paid through the disability office along with several others.  They have to be able to do the work according to the job description or the disability office will be called to either reprimand or replace them.

Cookie also has the same job through the disability office.  Whenever someone gets called to have their picture taken she manages to make some kind of round about pity party for herself.

Example:  patron lives in Snipsville.  Cookie says "oh, my late husband and I used to go to Snipsville all the time to go to the Greasy Spoon for breakfast but I can't go any more because he died 9 years ago and I'm not over it and can't imagine being at the Greasy Spoon without him and I just pray and pray and pray that I'll get to be with him some day".

She's been warned about this several times.  Now they are watching her and keeping count of the number of licenses she actually processes.  I don't see it ending well for Cookie.

I am quite surprised with her lack of productivity and her complaining that she still works there.  In this day and age, you better behave yourself and do your job the best way you know how or face PD but then again by reading the stories here how long it takes (or if ever) those who are not productive etc still have work.

In the US, government jobs can be very hard to lose.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #11465 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »

Around here, the unemployment rate is 2.7%.  We're having trouble finding qualified employees.

So, yeah, Cookie might have a government job for awhile.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #11466 on: September 25, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »

Around here, the unemployment rate is 2.7%.  We're having trouble finding qualified employees.

So, yeah, Cookie might have a government job for awhile.

They also have to be extremely careful since her job is through a disability program.  The state has to consult with the disability office to make sure all the proper citations about her work were provided to her and her supervisor.  Unfortunately, it's to make sure there's nothing that could trigger a lawsuit.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #11467 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
Yesterday we were at the DMV. A couple of the employees were talking about someone who had retired - apparently, abruptly. It was clear that the retiree was not going to be missed - no retirement party, but the staff wanted to have a party to celebrate the departure. I wondered how awful the retiree must have been and also thought it was rather unprofessional for them to have this conversation when/where customers could hear it.

Recently retired DMV employee here.  Years ago, we had a rash of armed robberies at DMVs in our state. One afternoon, I had to quickly pull two employees off the counter and tell them that their conversation was extremely inappropriate.  They were having the most spirited discussion with each other about the robberies, and how easy it would be to do.  When I overheard them, one was even detailing how they would do it, and what day of the week and time of day would net the best results!  There were about 6 different customers who could hear this.

As I explained to them, 99.99% of our customer would never even think about armed robbery, but do you want to motivate that 0.01% who might consider it?

The problem I always encountered was that there were clerical staff out there who seemed to think that customers were nothing more than robots and any conversation in front of them was all right.  These same clerks were also the poorest at their jobs, and for pretty much the same reason: customers could not really see or hear them even when 6 inches away.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #11468 on: September 25, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »
Eep!

We all have customer-inappropriate conversations at times, but having them in front of the customers seems- not good?
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Sirius

« Reply #11469 on: September 25, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
Although this isn't exactly PD, it could have been.

I was walking down the corridor in front of my office at the hospital, headed for the elevator.  Right behind me was the hospital commander and another officer, and they were talking about a third officer and not being at all complementary.  Since this hospital commander had made it clear that we employees shouldn't talk in front of patients or others who don't have a need to know when we're discussing patients, I felt I should speak up.  I said, "You know, you really shouldn't be talking like that." 

The hospital commander stopped in his tracks, and said to the other officer, "You know, she's absolutely right.  How about them 49ers?"  Or something like that.  I spoke up because I felt he as the hospital commander should be held to the same standards as the rest of us.  I didn't know the officer he and the other one were talking about, but it was still inappropriate for them to be talking the way they were in public.   

MissRose

« Reply #11470 on: September 26, 2017, 05:44:08 AM »
Eep!

We all have customer-inappropriate conversations at times, but having them in front of the customers seems- not good?

I've been in stores where I've overheard a wide variety of inappropriate conversations between employees.  I wish I could say to a few of the worst offenders I've overheard "I would like to talk to your manager, and mention that you are talking about subject X etc which is very not appropriate instead of doing your work."

Chipmunky

« Reply #11471 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »
I hate to sound like I'm building things up without any resolution, but felt I should give an update on Byte.

During the last update, I mentioned Awesome Colleague was  Not.Happy. with how Byte was handling things (or the complete lack thereof) and had requested copies of the emails and messages I'd sent requesting Byte contact me/attempting to address the issue/etc.

Awesome Colleague has had a conversation with Data (Byte's supervisor). I'm not privy to what was said, or how they are going to handle everything, but this does become relevant later.

Last week, Byte copies me on an email to the contact person for the other agency saying "information is ready to go, but the file is too big for email, do you have another preferred method to receive it?"  Now, this is the first I'm hearing of it. A little annoying, but not outside the scope of reason.  I send Byte a message that I cc'ed Data and SuperStar asking him to send SuperStar a link or file path for the compiled document that he plans to send to other agency.  This is because SuperStar worked on the gathering of confirmatory information from other parties with me, had politely sent messages to Byte as well, and per office protocols, had maintained the tracking of the entire information request from Day 1.  She cannot close the tracker as "completed" without a confirmed copy of the compiled data and its location, a fact that Byte is quite aware of.

Byte's response? "I don't think we have everything necessary for that [for SuperStar to close the tracker] because some of the other parties haven't responded yet."

Cue  :o :o :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:( out of me.

What Byte didn't know what I'd BCC'ed Awesome Colleague on the original message. I forwarded this one to her (since she is acting Boss Lady for the rest of the month) and state I am confused- why is Byte informing counterpart agency that we have everything ready for them if we really don't (a massive no no), or alternatively, why is Byte trying to give me inaccurate information, as I know we received responses from all parties- SuperStar confirmed them, sent Byte emails as information came in (and copied me), noted responses in the official tracking system, and even made a spreadsheet tracking who was still pending information and who responded that they didn't have any information matching to our request?

SuperStar was pissed, I was pissed, essentially it looked to us like Byte was again trying to get SuperStar in trouble for reasons unknown.  Awesome Colleague is addressing this with Data, but is not happy about Byte's shenanigans.  It may be she's waiting until Boss Lady gets back, will present this all of a piece, and suggest that Byte be placed on the mandatory improvement plan and if he doesn't shape up like Pitayara did, boot his bottom out.

On an interesting speculative note, I had a call with Data yesterday.  I had emailed Byte and another, relatively newer analyst (I'm going to call her Gigs) asking their availability to discuss data analytics and reports on two different cases- office policy is we must talk to the analyst and hammer out what the request will look like before an information request can be submitted. Gigs responded in timely fashion, we start talking, she realizes she hasn't handled a request like this one before, and asks to get Data on the line as well to walk her through it.  I agree, she gets him on the phone immediately and we get things straightened out for the request.

Towards end of the call, (just Data and I now, Gigs had gone back to her office) Data jokes that I said I have a number of requests to discuss. I responded that yes, I do, and I'm trying to find occasions that work with everyone's schedules to discuss matters by phone, but not everyone replies to emails, so I appreciated Gigs getting back to me. 

Data was quiet. He's aware of what's been going on with Byte, I mentioned I was emailing Byte with requests for a good time for him to discuss other cases.  If me being the polite one, asking when is convenient to discuss xyz matter every few days is annoying to Byte, so be it- we have work that has to be done, and I'm following the protocols. Byte can either get his head out of the sand or find he has a lot more time to build sandcastles, as far as I'm concerned.

I promise, when there's a final resolution to Byte, I will post about it!

Ginger G

« Reply #11472 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
So, my coworker used to work with your colleague?  She will schedule time off of work, not share it with any of her coworkers (her supervisor knows); and then set up her auto-reply telling people to contact me, without telling me (always fun to transfer a caller to her desk and then have them call back saying her voice mail says she's out of the office for a week and that all calls should be directed to me).  Then there was the time she did that and I was out of the office on training for two days (which was on the calendar) and not able to check my messages during the day at all, so that caused some great confusion.  And yet, it still doesn't even warrant a stern chat by her supervisor....

POD POD. I nearly twitched with empathy when I read this. I had a boss who was famous for that. Would leave, direct people to me and would perhaps tell me she was off, but usually not.

The kicker was that the person calling for help usually had some convoluted mess that boss didn't share details with me about, leaving me to be forced to ask the customer to start over.  They love that!

Heck, I detest when that happens when I'm the customer so I get their frustration - it's just tough to be the messenger that's always shot. Particularly when it could be avoided with some management and communication. :(

We had that issue at my job too! We have one payroll person (a major grouch and difficult to deal with on good days). She had a completely obnoxious (IMO) habit of taking days to a week off and not tell the two of us who work in HR and would have to act as her back-up. We would not even know she was off until we emailed her and got her out of office response directing her to my HR Administrator. My HRA was recently off for a few days at the same time as her, so if someone emailed Payroll, they were referred to my HRA, who referred them to me. Completely ridiculous and frustrating to our employees. After that, I finally complained to our mutual boss, and his solution was to just tell us himself when she is off instead of asking her to do it herself, which goes to show how difficult she is, even with her own boss. I'm counting down the days until she retires.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11473 on: September 27, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
Someone in HR at our large university will be getting terminated from their position.

So far, we know that they:
Cashed out all the vacation time for people who are in the 5 year retirement program.
Deleted all the vacation and sick time for two groups of employees.
Deleted the raises for one group of employees.
Caused paychecks not to be sent direct deposit on time.

HR is doing damage control, but this is going to be difficult to fix.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

MrTango

« Reply #11474 on: September 27, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Someone in HR at our large university will be getting terminated from their position.

So far, we know that they:
Cashed out all the vacation time for people who are in the 5 year retirement program.
Deleted all the vacation and sick time for two groups of employees.
Deleted the raises for one group of employees.
Caused paychecks not to be sent direct deposit on time.

HR is doing damage control, but this is going to be difficult to fix.

Ugh.  I work in payroll, and I'm on the team in my company that would be tasked with doing these fixes.  We'd be looking very closely into where the money went, and until we found proof that it wasn't an attempt at fraud, we'd be operating under the assumption that it was.