News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 07:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4285957 times)

AngelicGamer

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11535 on: March 15, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
A major case of PD appears to have happened at Florida International University today...

A pedestrian bridge collapsed on campus while still under construction.  From looking at the design drawings and photos of the bridge before and after the collapse, it looks like they put up the suspension span and had it supported from below, but hadn't built the tower/cable structure that would permanently support the bridge.  The supports underneath the span either failed or were removed, resulting in the entire section collapsing.

Several years ago, a parking garage collapsed at that same campus.

That campus or Miami-Dade West? I Google searched for it because that's just too freaky and was only finding the Miami-Dade West story.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11536 on: March 15, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
A major case of PD appears to have happened at Florida International University today...

A pedestrian bridge collapsed on campus while still under construction.  From looking at the design drawings and photos of the bridge before and after the collapse, it looks like they put up the suspension span and had it supported from below, but hadn't built the tower/cable structure that would permanently support the bridge.  The supports underneath the span either failed or were removed, resulting in the entire section collapsing.

Several years ago, a parking garage collapsed at that same campus.

That campus or Miami-Dade West? I Google searched for it because that's just too freaky and was only finding the Miami-Dade West story.

Both campuses had parking garages collapse. The one at FIU was back in 2006...took me awhile to dig up http://fiuathleticscom.proboards.com/thread/3174
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

snowfire

« Reply #11537 on: March 15, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »
The Hyatt one was in a book called "Why Buildings Fall Down". It covers a lot of disasters including "Galloping Gertie" and a bunch of others. I'll have to go find it in my stash. There is also a companion book called "Why Buildings Stand Up." They are probably 20+ years old but are very good reads.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11538 on: March 16, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »
The Hyatt one was in a book called "Why Buildings Fall Down". It covers a lot of disasters including "Galloping Gertie" and a bunch of others. I'll have to go find it in my stash. There is also a companion book called "Why Buildings Stand Up." They are probably 20+ years old but are very good reads.

I'll have to look for them! They sound interesting. THe HIstory Channel had a series a while back on "Engineering Disasters" where they'd look at major engineering fails, why they happened, and more importantly, what safety measures/changes had been made to prevent them from happening again. It was really interesting!

Twik

« Reply #11539 on: March 16, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »

There was something on the news that it collapsed while they were doing "stress tests" on it. If true, that means they were testing it *live* without the full supports in place.

My thoughts for everyone who was hurt, and the families of those killed. Whatever the cause, this was a horrific accident.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #11540 on: March 16, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »

My brother teaches there and was trying to find all his graduate students :-\

MrTango

« Reply #11541 on: March 16, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »

There was something on the news that it collapsed while they were doing "stress tests" on it. If true, that means they were testing it *live* without the full supports in place.

My thoughts for everyone who was hurt, and the families of those killed. Whatever the cause, this was a horrific accident.

Yeah, I saw that too.  Whoever authorized the "stress test" without stopping all traffic under the bridge ought to be held criminally liable for the deaths they caused.

Lula

« Reply #11542 on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:34 AM »
Some of the places that call our support desk could be partly committing PD as some of them when they call --

*are super pushy about their request/issue vs. being reasonably polite

*asking for multiple requests on one call instead of either calling in a few times if it is not super busy to log each request.  We are excepted to be to average around 4 to 5 minutes a call, and some places are so slow when placing request tickets via phone that some calls could take 10 minutes partly mostly due to not having correct details available.  The thing that gets me is that 99% of those in a particular group knows what we will ask for each time and it seems like you have to push for each detail.

*some people who think they can tie up the line to tell their life story before we are able to start logging their request or check a request that was opened.  We don't need extra details.  Just tell us I need a new request opened or check a current one, no need for extras.

I don't understand how any of this is PD, or, with the exception of the rudeness/pushiness, even SS.  Yes, it's an annoying part of your job, and you're allowed to hate it, but these people aren't doing any wrong in failing to intuit your company's policies.

Browyn

« Reply #11543 on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »
I worked a place that wouldn't let you access anything to do with two English counties...

Essex and Sussex!

What about Middlesex?  >:D

It does in New Jersey.  ;D
Doesn’t exist anymore.

It's in Massachusetts too.  Middlesex and Essex County.

GoTwins

« Reply #11544 on: March 16, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

The family owned construction company who built it have already taken down their site. It's horrific.

It made me think of the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse in '81, and also a bit of the 35W bridge collapse in '08.
The 35W bridge collapsed August 1st, 2007. I'll never forget it. I had just driven over it earlier in the day and almost drove over it again about an hour before it went down.
This just appeared in my local paper: https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/16/company-that-designed-collapsed-florida-bridge-also-designed-new-i-35w-bridge/
 :o

Bada

« Reply #11545 on: March 16, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »
I doubt the $180 she got was worth it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/custodian-at-a-south-carolina-school-steals-students-money-during-walkout/ar-BBKiM04?OCID=ansmsnnews11

While students in a South Carolina school participated in the National School Walkout this week, a custodian helped herself to their cash, police said.

The incident occurred at Richland Northeast High School on Wednesday.

Aisha Evans, a custodian at the school, went into a classroom while students were outside and rummaged through three book bags, the Richland County Sheriff's Department said.

In all, Evans stole $180, the department said.

The custodian was arrested soon afterward and charged with three counts of petty larceny.

Evans, 32, was employed by Service Solutions, an agency that provides custodial services to the district's school.

The agency terminated the woman, the school district told CNN affiliate WIS.

"On Thursday, March 15, Service Solutions notified Richland Two that Evans is no longer an employee of the company and was informed that she cannot come on any Richland Two property," Richland Two School District said in its statement to the affiliate.

gmatoy

« Reply #11546 on: March 16, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Galloping Gertie is a part of our town's story. Why there weren't deaths (other than a poor dog) is still beyond me. The horrible movement of the bridge from the wind probably saved lives.
There are still people who will do almost anything not to drive on the replacement bridge or the new bridge that was built so each bridge is one way.

HenrysMom

« Reply #11547 on: March 18, 2018, 02:20:33 AM »
Galloping Gertie is a part of our town's story. Why there weren't deaths (other than a poor dog) is still beyond me. The horrible movement of the bridge from the wind probably saved lives.
There are still people who will do almost anything not to drive on the replacement bridge or the new bridge that was built so each bridge is one way.

I read the Wikipedia article - poor Tubby!

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #11548 on: March 18, 2018, 10:31:14 PM »

Yes, that was the one!  It was a great read, I really enjoyed it.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11549 on: March 19, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »

Yeah, I saw that too.  Whoever authorized the "stress test" without stopping all traffic under the bridge ought to be held criminally liable for the deaths they caused.

That was my thought too; just like when they implode a building, the make sure a pretty large area around it is clear!