News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 02:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4289354 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11550 on: March 19, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
I worked a place that wouldn't let you access anything to do with two English counties...

Essex and Sussex!

What about Middlesex?  >:D

Doesn’t exist anymore.

Nobody's told their cricket club!  [Which was why I was looking as Sussex (ex's county) and Essex (ah, the lovely Nasser Hussain :-*).]
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #11551 on: March 19, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
Hi Chez Miriam,
You will probably appreciate the fact that I have a new auditor.  Imran Khan.  Very nice chap but unfortunately an Australian Accountant.  My mother told her fellow inmates at the Nursing Home about Imran and gained many kudos.  He said people were a bit taken back when they first met him, but it was a good ice breaker at parties.  He has an uncle who goes by his initials GK as you will never guess what his first name is - well you probably will.

rain

« Reply #11552 on: March 19, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »
Nope...
In search of a tag line

Mary Lennox

« Reply #11553 on: March 19, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
Imran Khan is a very famous former cricket player (not to be confused with Imran Khan who currently plays). I'm guessing his uncle is Genghis Khan.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #11554 on: March 19, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Imran Khan is a very gorgeous cricketer, with oodles of charm.  Not to mention he was a fantastic player. You probably ought to be from a cricketing nation to fully appreciate his adoration. 

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #11555 on: March 20, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »
Imran Khan is a very gorgeous cricketer, with oodles of charm.  Not to mention he was a fantastic player. You probably ought to be from a cricketing nation to fully appreciate his adoration.

You could also mention that he founded two hospitals in Pakistan and that he's (I think) a currently sitting member of the Pakistan National Assembly - things that might get more of a notice outside of the cricketing world. (And, heck, he's been a politician now far longer than he was a cricketer at this point!)

And I'm highly amused by the idea of someone's uncle being Ghengis Khan :) (Can see why he'd go by GK, though!)

Chez Miriam

« Reply #11556 on: March 20, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »

You could also mention that he founded two hospitals in Pakistan and that he's (I think) a currently sitting member of the Pakistan National Assembly - things that might get more of a notice outside of the cricketing world. (And, heck, he's been a politician now far longer than he was a cricketer at this point!)

And I'm highly amused by the idea of someone's uncle being Ghengis Khan :) (Can see why he'd go by GK, though!)

I'd love to have an Uncle Ghengis!!  Thanks for the smile, amandaelizabeth!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

AnnaT

« Reply #11557 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:30 PM »

Given his prolific offspring (the original that is), there is a chance that you do (many many times great) - quick google search says its 1 in 200

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #11558 on: March 21, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »

Given his prolific offspring (the original that is), there is a chance that you do (many many times great) - quick google search says its 1 in 200

I saw that statistic somewhere as well, it's mind boggling.

rashea

« Reply #11559 on: March 21, 2018, 10:09:03 AM »

I saw that statistic somewhere as well, it's mind boggling.

Not really. If you go back in time far enough, it's hard to not be related to almost everyone. If you figure 30 years for each generation, and figure he died in 1227, there are 26 generations. So each of his kids having 2 kids would mean that he has 67,108,864 decedents per child today. He had a lot of children, so it's not surprising that many people are related to him.

Same thing works out if you go far enough back in most cultures. If you have English blood, you likely are related to royalty in some way. The trick is to get back far enough that you hit the well documented lines.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #11560 on: March 21, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »
The unusual thing about Genghis Khan is how many direct male-line descendants he has: yes, go back far enough, and we tend to share ancestors, but usually it's through daughters as well as sons. In Genghis Khan's case, those sons of sons of sons of... are in addition to the more common situation where my maternal great-great-grandfather is the brother of your paternal great-great-great grandmother.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

guihong

« Reply #11561 on: March 22, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
The unusual thing about Genghis Khan is how many direct male-line descendants he has: yes, go back far enough, and we tend to share ancestors, but usually it's through daughters as well as sons. In Genghis Khan's case, those sons of sons of sons of... are in addition to the more common situation where my maternal great-great-grandfather is the brother of your paternal great-great-great grandmother.
[/b]

That was the case with my parents!  They never knew they were distant cousins; I found out through my genealogy work.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #11562 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
Can we get back to PD stories and leave genealogy to another thread?

This didn't end up being serious PD , but it didn't look good for the company at all. In 2015 a Krispy Kreme store in England advertised their Krispy Kreme Klub promotion. The problem? They billed it as KKK Wednesday. That got yanked really fast. Whoops.

Another one I just heard about was Urban Outfitters launching a board game. Now, they're already problematic when it comes to things like appropriation. In 2003, they decided to launch Ghettopoly, a parody of Monoploly. It was billed as good wholesome fun doing things like "buying stolen properties, pimpin hoes, building crack houses and getting car jacked!" and had lines like, “You got yo whole neighbourhood addicted to crack. Collect $50.” Score!” You will not be surprised to hear that it was quickly pulled off the shelf and they had to pay $400,000 in damages.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Aleko

« Reply #11563 on: March 23, 2018, 02:52:49 AM »
In 2008 much scandal was caused in the UK when Woolworths (an offshoot of the original US company, but independent) advertised in their online catalogue a pink bedroom furniture set designed for little girls, the product name being . . . "Lolita".

It really was extraordinary. Large retail companies have whole departments whose job is to invent product names and check them for any negative connotations. Senior managers approve them, someone else proofs the text, someone else again uploads it to the website. Several dozen people at least must have been directly involved in getting that item advertised online, and who-knows-many more must have seen it, and apparently it didn't occur to anybody at all that the name Lolita had any undesirable connotations for a little girl's bed.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #11564 on: March 23, 2018, 03:49:53 AM »
In 2008 much scandal was caused in the UK when Woolworths (an offshoot of the original US company, but independent) advertised in their online catalogue a pink bedroom furniture set designed for little girls, the product name being . . . "Lolita".

It really was extraordinary. Large retail companies have whole departments whose job is to invent product names and check them for any negative connotations. Senior managers approve them, someone else proofs the text, someone else again uploads it to the website. Several dozen people at least must have been directly involved in getting that item advertised online, and who-knows-many more must have seen it, and apparently it didn't occur to anybody at all that the name Lolita had any undesirable connotations for a little girl's bed.

Given that by the end of 2008 Woolies was no more, that really could be described as the ultimate in PD!

In a similar vein, I present Gerald Ratner. He's the former chief exec of a jewelry company that virtually collapsed after he gave a speech in which he described his company's products as "total crap"...