News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3711453 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11565 on: October 19, 2017, 12:54:21 AM »
A California restaurant passed off a chain restaurant's fried chicken as their own. The owner insists she's not "reselling" the chicken, she's just using it as an ingredient  ::)

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/43ng4n/california-restaurant-admits-its-been-serving-popeyes-chicken-for-months

http://www.longbeachize.com/long-beach-foodie-update-sweet-dixie-kitchen-defends-repackaging-popeyes-fried-chicken
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:57:01 AM by TeamBhakta »

PastryGoddess

« Reply #11566 on: October 19, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
A California restaurant passed off a chain restaurant's fried chicken as their own. The owner insists she's not "reselling" the chicken, she's just using it as an ingredient  ::)

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/43ng4n/california-restaurant-admits-its-been-serving-popeyes-chicken-for-months

http://www.longbeachize.com/long-beach-foodie-update-sweet-dixie-kitchen-defends-repackaging-popeyes-fried-chicken

She couldn't have been making any money off the chicken...what an idiot

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #11567 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:34 AM »

and she really won't be once Popeye's sends her a cease and desist and possibly asks for money for her doing that.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11568 on: October 19, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »

Did you see how much she's charging for it? If memory serves, that was $12.50 for chicken & waffles - if she's actually making the waffles in-house (even if she uses a mix), she's making money. If I'm paying that much, though, I expect that chicken was house-made, and fried to order, and the waffles scratch-made as well. If she's serving Popeye's chicken, I wouldn't even bank on those waffles not being Eggo.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11569 on: October 19, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »
Honestly, I could understand her outsourcing some items due to limited kitchen equipment, but to be defensive when called on it is extremely unprofessional.

Also, you have requirements to be able to list ingredients and possible allergens to your customers, and I am not sure she could do that with either the Popeye's chicken or the gumbo she buys from someone.

She further admits they don't make the jam they call house made, they don't make the biscuits that are listed as house made, and they don't make any of the pastries or desserts. Wow.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:56:12 PM by ladyknight1 »
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Twik

« Reply #11570 on: October 19, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
Honestly, I could understand her outsourcing some items due to limited kitchen equipment, but to be defensive when called on it is extremely unprofessional.

Also, you have requirements to be able to list ingredients and possible allergens to your customers, and I am not sure she could do that with either the Popeye's chicken or the gumbo she buys from someone.

She further admits they don't make the jam they call house made, they don't make the biscuits that are listed as house made, and they don't make any of the pastries or desserts. Wow.

So she's less of a cook and more of an aggregator?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

eltf177

« Reply #11571 on: October 19, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »

Sounds like someone's been taking lessons from Amy's... ::)

LadyBe205

« Reply #11572 on: October 19, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »

Sounds like someone's been taking lessons from Amy's... ::)

Amy's was the first thing that popped into my mind too. 

rose red

« Reply #11573 on: October 19, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
I may not expect food made from scratch, but I assume food at least comes from some kind of "generic" supplier. Not a famous name-brand chain! :o

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11574 on: October 19, 2017, 05:31:56 PM »
The owner is known for expounding on how everything is made from scratch. Um.  :-X
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GreenBird

« Reply #11575 on: October 19, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
The owner is known for expounding on how everything is made from scratch. Um.  :-X

Well, someone made it from scratch somewhere!  Just not her. 

miranova

« Reply #11576 on: October 19, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
I do not understand owning a restaurant if you don't like cooking real food.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #11577 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »
If you are new, don't repeatedly no-show and expect to keep your job.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #11578 on: October 20, 2017, 12:18:38 AM »
That sounds like someone who keeps repeating the same thing over and over like they need you to believe it and the harder they insist, the more you know it's the opposite. Like people who tell you they're "a nice person". No mate, nice people never have to say that, you can figure it out from their behaviour.

Or my boss who once insisted 7 times in one meeting that our hourly time sheets are "not a policing tool" (yes they are!) and "I certain don't pull them weekly looking for people who haven't logged their time" (oh yes you do!).
<3

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11579 on: October 20, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
At a fast food restaurant, I noticed a (rather prominent, marker drawn) sign taped to a door frame leading to the kitchen. They should have posted it in the back, because I could see from the counter that it said "Closing from Wednesday night was NASTY!" And it mentioned all the gross, unsanitary things the employees didn't do properly. I don't want to eat at that location again  :-X