News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 12:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3718456 times)

MissRose

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11580 on: October 23, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
One of my co-workers, her sister has a PD candidate on her hands.  A bit of background: Her sister K works a 2nd job as a bartender & server at a local tavern/bar several nights a week. 

One of her co-workers comes in on her day off to have a few drinks. The co-worker gets drunk and unruly, and starts to cause some trouble with a few other patrons.  The co-worker tries to pick a fight with a woman patron, and "K" calls for the male owner to help her intervene between the 2 fighting women.  The co-worker was apparently trying to pull at Woman Patron's long hair hard, and instead scratches K's face instead during the time K was trying to separate the women.  K has let the owner know she will quit the tavern/bar if this co-worker is still employed there after that incident.  K has not pressed charges, and the co-worker should be glad the cops were not contacted.

goldilocks

« Reply #11581 on: October 24, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
I have a male contractor working for me, who desperately wants to be hired full time.   He does an okay job, so I might actually consider it, except - The first day he showed up in a suit.   We are more casual than that (jeans and t-shirts),and so of course told him the dress code was a little looser.

Since that time he has shown up every day in jogging pants, which he cannot seem to keep up all the way.  So they sag down, and since his shirts are very long, his belly is exposed the majority of the day.

I know some of you are going to tell me to address, but I feel I shouldn't have to.   This is a highly paid professional job, and I'm not hiring anyone that I have to explain basic wardrobe rules to.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11582 on: October 24, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
I have a male contractor working for me, who desperately wants to be hired full time.   He does an okay job, so I might actually consider it, except - The first day he showed up in a suit.   We are more casual than that (jeans and t-shirts),and so of course told him the dress code was a little looser.

Since that time he has shown up every day in jogging pants, which he cannot seem to keep up all the way.  So they sag down, and since his shirts are very long, his belly is exposed the majority of the day.

I know some of you are going to tell me to address, but I feel I shouldn't have to.   This is a highly paid professional job, and I'm not hiring anyone that I have to explain basic wardrobe rules to.

Why wouldn't you address it?  You already told him the suit was too much.

goldilocks

« Reply #11583 on: October 24, 2017, 03:51:22 PM »
I知 not going to address it because his last day is ina few days.   And I知 not going to hire him mostly because of this

MissRose

« Reply #11584 on: October 25, 2017, 05:55:51 AM »
I知 not going to address it because his last day is ina few days.   And I知 not going to hire him mostly because of this

I don't blame you one bit.  Maybe he will get a clue at his next place but I highly doubt it.  Apparently, dressing too casual and sloppy has become a trend and not just in work places - go to the People of Walmart site to see a few examples.  I've seen at all even at church where some people don't even show up in decent clothes much less the meaning of "Sunday Best".  Its one thing to dress sloppy if you need to get something in an emergency but in pajamas or half dressed looking like you've crawled out of bed without even combing your hair?

o_gal

« Reply #11585 on: October 25, 2017, 06:28:26 AM »

I don't think you are being fair to him. As pointed out by Harriet Jones, you already told him that he was at one end of the clothing spectrum and he didn't need to be. But you won't tell him about the other end? Both ends are the wardrobe rules that you say you don't want to explain. Is he young and inexperienced? You certainly aren't required to hire him, but you say he's doing an OK job. I think he deserves to have some feedback from you in an exit interview.

goldilocks

« Reply #11586 on: October 25, 2017, 08:13:25 AM »
No, he is not young and inexperienced.  he is in his 40's, and is a contractor that I'm paying a lot of money for.   I don't feel the need to do him a favor and let him know his clothes are inappropriate. 

GreenHall

« Reply #11587 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
No, he is not young and inexperienced.  he is in his 40's, and is a contractor that I'm paying a lot of money for.   I don't feel the need to do him a favor and let him know his clothes are inappropriate.

Unless Goldilocks and the contractor are the only two people there (and even then) he should have eyes and common sense enough to look at everyone else and dress accordingly.  That's what I did at my first office job (the professor in shorts and sandals was an outlier, I quickly realized).

If, by chance the suit and the jogging pants are the full extent of his wardrobe, he should be dressing down the suit, and buying one or two items per pay period to expand his wardrobe.  If he's american and does not own jeans, I'd be surprised.

MissRose

« Reply #11588 on: October 25, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

Unless Goldilocks and the contractor are the only two people there (and even then) he should have eyes and common sense enough to look at everyone else and dress accordingly.  That's what I did at my first office job (the professor in shorts and sandals was an outlier, I quickly realized).

If, by chance the suit and the jogging pants are the full extent of his wardrobe, he should be dressing down the suit, and buying one or two items per pay period to expand his wardrobe.  If he's american and does not own jeans, I'd be surprised.

Even I knew at my first full time job, I had to wear certain clothes, and when I got a tour of the place before the official offer was made, I saw people dressed in nice business casual clothes.  Until I was able to get more clothes, what I generally wore for church would meet that code til I got more things to my post college wardrobe (in the days of the grunge styles lol)

DanaJ

« Reply #11589 on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »

Sadly, I've found that a lot of people just don't have adequate observation+common sense abilities and do need the obvious things spelled out for them. For example, let's pretend that there is a blue document that always must be filed in a blue folder. We have one employee who uses any random color, like yellow, for her blue document, then opens a drawer in the blue filing cabinet labelled: "BLUE Folders Go in Here!", sort through the sea of blue-only folders, and stuff in her yellow one.

She would definitely never notice that her folder was different than all the others, and it would never occur to her to wonder: "Hm. The blue drawer is full of blue folders. Is it okay to put my blue document in a yellow folder?"

Granted that is the same employee who came to work wearing one 4"-heeled shoe and one flat shoe and walked up-down-up-down all day.

gramma dishes

« Reply #11590 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »
^^^  Might she be blue/yellow color blind?

Of course that wouldn't explain the shoe issue.  :-\

DanaJ

« Reply #11591 on: October 26, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

That was just an illustrative example. It's not actually a color issue. It's more a complete inability to play the game: "One of these things is not like the other" when the differences are really, really obvious.

Most employees are reasonably intuitive. For example, invoices are filed by project and date. We rarely ever have to actually instruct new employees on how to file invoices. Most just need look at a few invoices that are already in the filing cabinet. They see the pattern and follow it. But on some occasions...

It's like the Steven Wright joke:

"My friend said my socks didn't match, because they were two different colors. I said they did too match because I go by thickness."

Browyn

« Reply #11592 on: October 26, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »

I wore one blue shoe and one brown to the office once.  They were the same style shoe, and I am color blind.  I do better with color with more light and in the low morning light I just couldn't tell and didn't look close enough.  I am red/green color blind.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #11593 on: October 26, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how she left the house with shoes that different on and didn't notice... :o
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

GreenHall

« Reply #11594 on: October 26, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »
...so my social anxiety is good for something? (wanting to make sure I match the rest of the office to a degree in most areas).

..I do sometimes wonder what it would be like to just be that oblivious.