News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3775451 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11610 on: November 02, 2017, 01:51:20 AM »
Is she genuinely that oblivious or is this something she does occasionally when she needs a bit of an attention fix?

Oh, sorry - I missed this question. She is genuinely that oblivious about 90% of the time. The company has had to create entire systems and put company-wide protocols in place so compensate for her scatterbrained behavior because the work she does is excellent, but she may forget to give it to anyone.
I've seen some articles about how superstars that are difficult are not worth the effort to keep, and it can be better for productivity and profits to have more average workers than one difficult superstar. If you're having to spend the time (and therefore hours and money) designing and implementing entire company wide protocols simply to make her productive, she does not sound worth the investment.
<3

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #11611 on: November 02, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Please never let her go on safari. She will be eaten by lions within minutes.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

rose red

« Reply #11612 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:21 PM »
Please never let her go on safari. She will be eaten by lions within minutes.  ;D

She'd probably injure herself getting on or off the airplane and never even make it to where the animals are.

Joking aside, she sounds really scary. I can't imagine the worry she's caused loved ones (or even coworkers) if she's ever late without calling.

I've met people who are, well, spacey or clumsy or downright ditzy, but forgot to use her legs? What?!

bo

« Reply #11613 on: November 02, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »
I am watching this unfold right now on facebook.

Someone posted a review of a children's boutique on a group I am a member of. Apparently customer had a headband made for an infant and after sizing the infant's head it was too big, customer brought baby in again and had them write down the correct measurement and again it was too big. Customer talked to owner and apparently owner got nasty. Customer posted a review of the boutique on their facebook page. Apparently owner has a long time issue of being rude to customers, so previous customers are posting recalling stories of past rude behavior. Owner responds to negative comments on calling customers, liars, trash, and also insulting their family! When other posters comment and say this isn't helping your case and just shows you don't know how to deal with customers, owner just says "I don't care any publicity is good publicity".
 It's like an East Coast version of Amy's Baking Company.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to their facebook page. If I am I will post it.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11614 on: November 03, 2017, 12:57:03 AM »

Someone posted a review of a children's boutique on a group I am a member of. Apparently customer had a headband made for an infant and after sizing the infant's head it was too big, customer brought baby in again and had them write down the correct measurement and again it was too big. Customer talked to owner and apparently owner got nasty. Customer posted a review of the boutique on their facebook page. Apparently owner has a long time issue of being rude to customers, so previous customers are posting recalling stories of past rude behavior. Owner responds to negative comments on calling customers, liars, trash, and also insulting their family! When other posters comment and say this isn't helping your case and just shows you don't know how to deal with customers, owner just says "I don't care any publicity is good publicity".

I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to their facebook page. If I am I will post it.

Amy's is in a league of its own... this is more similar to that recent restaurant blow up a few months ago... I don't remember what it was though...

rose red

« Reply #11615 on: November 03, 2017, 06:54:14 AM »

Amy's is in a league of its own... this is more similar to that recent restaurant blow up a few months ago... I don't remember what it was though...

The vegan place where owners let their (unclothed) children run around bothering customers? Not that similar so it may not be the  story you're talking about but that's  the one that popped into my head.   

Chipmunky

« Reply #11616 on: November 03, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
Byte has been surprisingly quiet as of late, and actually getting assignments and requests completed in a timely fashion....

This may have in part been due to Boss Lady's return and several well worded complaints lodged with her. Boss Lady does not have time for drama and shenanigans, and does not like to chase down what is going on when supervisors (ie, Data) should handle things.  Awesome Colleague approached Boss Lady with a list of the grievances and supporting documents.

I myself had a call from Boss Lady with Data in the room to hear what was going down and hear the law get laid down.  I outlined my experiences with Boss Lady, and when she stated Byte had been working on some last minute projects at the end of August for her (when the biggest mess with my project occurred), I was able to politely point out to her that I understand some projects take priority over others, especially on emergency bases, but there was no reason Byte couldn't send an acknowledgment email indicating he was currently swamped and would try to get back to me by X date, and it didn't explain his telling the requesting party one thing, and me something entirely different.  She did agree that I had a point there, and emphasized that just because I'm in the satellite office, does not mean my requests should not be treated with the same enthusiasm as if I were just down the hall and could come in person to pester about them.

So, as far as I know, Byte has gotten a verbal whap on the nose and has been pulled onto another big project for Boss Lady.  Data visited my satellite office yesterday, and we hashed out a few things related to communications, as well as discussed a matter I think will take priority in the coming months. Data has a conference with the other analysis people each week, so I'm making my list of other information requests we need to hammer out and at least "have in the pile" before year's end.

On another note, SuperStar is quietly interviewing elsewhere. She's unfortunately being given a runaround by others, and is tired of the shenanigans. While I'll be sad to see her go, she has to do what is best for herself and her family.

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #11617 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »
It's sort of a pet peeve, but it's resulting in the person not getting a promotion she wants, so I'm putting it here.

Where I work, the standard procedure is that new employees start in Area 1, which is a small team. This provides thorough on-the-job training and gets them very familiar with most aspects of our job. Most employees quickly move to Area 2 or 3, which is a promotion and utilizes the training they received in Area 1. Those areas don't have much turnover, but when vacancies do occur, they are always filled from Area 1. If there are no vacancies, Area 1 employees do not advance. Also, promotion does not depend on seniority but on skill set/aptitude.

We have one employee who has complained several times that she has not advanced to Area 2 or 3. One vacancy has occurred during her time here, but a newer employee was promoted. She's angry about that and says she deserved it more than the newer employee.

Except that the newer employee was brought in specifically to fill that vacancy (and was therefore put in Area 1 for training for the shortest possible time); the newer employee has a better attitude - as in, I've never heard them complain about anything; the newer employee always presents well and has never tried to get ahead by going outside protocol. The newer employee also seeks out and volunteers for opportunities for increased responsibility.

The complaining employee was hired because she knows one of the bosses, but because of that, she seemed to think she could get her way by going to that boss instead of her own supervisor. (For example, she went directly to the big boss to ask to be transferred to the same job I do - but she doesn't have any qualifications for what I do.) She doesn't seek opportunities to expand her opportunities where she is - and that is possible, because another employee who was hired at the same time has done exactly that and is now a team lead.

She often doesn't look or act professional, and in our field, that is extremely important. And there's the attitude and complaining... I've thought of telling her she will never get the promotion she wants without making some changes, but I'm not in a role to do so, and I'm not about to overstep my bounds, because I don't want to commit PD myself!

Update to this: the employee in the bolded text above, who seeks out new responsibilities and opportunities, has been promoted to Area 2. The original employee mentioned above is bitterly complaining (to me, at least) that she didn't get the promotion. Still, I can't tell her that she's miles from getting a promotion - she had a couple of major flubs in the past 12-18 months, and she really hasn't done anything to overcome those and re-earn promotion potential. I'm not in her department, so I just kept the conversation short, mostly responding with "Hmm."
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

MissRose

« Reply #11618 on: November 04, 2017, 07:17:06 AM »
One of my co-workers, her sister has a PD candidate on her hands.  A bit of background: Her sister K works a 2nd job as a bartender & server at a local tavern/bar several nights a week. 

One of her co-workers comes in on her day off to have a few drinks. The co-worker gets drunk and unruly, and starts to cause some trouble with a few other patrons.  The co-worker tries to pick a fight with a woman patron, and "K" calls for the male owner to help her intervene between the 2 fighting women.  The co-worker was apparently trying to pull at Woman Patron's long hair hard, and instead scratches K's face instead during the time K was trying to separate the women.  K has let the owner know she will quit the tavern/bar if this co-worker is still employed there after that incident.  K has not pressed charges, and the co-worker should be glad the cops were not contacted.

**Update to story**

K's co-worker is now an ex-co-worker.  She was lucky that charges were not pressed by either the woman she was planning on attacking or by K.   The X worker is not allowed on the premises at all either.

LadyDyani

• So it goes. -Kurt Vonnegut
« Reply #11619 on: November 06, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
...belly-flopped onto the sidewalk like a bag of wet towels.

This line made me laugh far too much.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

MissRose

« Reply #11620 on: November 13, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »

Same here....

DanaJ

« Reply #11621 on: November 15, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »
I've seen some articles about how superstars that are difficult are not worth the effort to keep, and it can be better for productivity and profits to have more average workers than one difficult superstar. If you're having to spend the time (and therefore hours and money) designing and implementing entire company wide protocols simply to make her productive, she does not sound worth the investment.

That has come up at meetings. She has cost the company and I know for a fact that she has been a contributing factor to three (good) employees leaving. But so far it has also worked out that the systems put in place were beneficial for everyone else anyway, and her job security is also coming from the fact that we're having a hard time finding new candidates who can do her job well.

AnnaT

« Reply #11622 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
We are currently getting the internal stairs at work upgraded (no idea why - they're stairs...) and it's down to the last week which means that the fibro boards which enclosed the space have been removed and there is now just plastic sheeting.

Some of the comments we are now hearing from the builders: "where's all this water coming from?", "who did that?", "maybe no one will notice"... not sure they are aware of the non-sound proof qualities of a bit of plastic...

MissRose

« Reply #11623 on: November 26, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
We are currently getting the internal stairs at work upgraded (no idea why - they're stairs...) and it's down to the last week which means that the fibro boards which enclosed the space have been removed and there is now just plastic sheeting.

Some of the comments we are now hearing from the builders: "where's all this water coming from?", "who did that?", "maybe no one will notice"... not sure they are aware of the non-sound proof qualities of a bit of plastic...

Too bad someone can't record their comments and get them to higher ups of some kind at their company.  I am sure they would notice who did that and find out where the water is coming from!

Twik

« Reply #11624 on: November 27, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »

Same here....

Clearly she is my sister from another mother.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."