News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 09:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4290949 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11610 on: April 25, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »
In all fairness and honesty, how would we peons fare in the CEO's job?  How many of us would accept the CEO's responsibilities, and undergo all the required education, for modest pay?  As a store employee, I do have to say it's not so bad to get to clock out each day and forget all about work, and to not have my screw-ups on the job make international headlines.
At one point in my career i supervised, lets say, 5 people, who, in turn supervised 30 people. Once a year I set up a one-on-one with each of those 30 people. Each time, I began with "let me tell you about my job."  It was usually a real revelation to both of us. Newbies, especially, had no idea what I did, but even longterm staff appreciated updates on how things might have changed for me. I benefitted from learning what staff thought i could (or couldn't) do for them.

The idea to do this was the best piece of managerial advice i ever got.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11611 on: April 25, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
In all fairness and honesty, how would we peons fare in the CEO's job?  How many of us would accept the CEO's responsibilities, and undergo all the required education, for modest pay?  As a store employee, I do have to say it's not so bad to get to clock out each day and forget all about work, and to not have my screw-ups on the job make international headlines.

I don't think anyone's saying the CEO's job isn't hard, but that it's easy for the upper levels of management to lose sight of what's reasonable to require of their worker bees.

rose red

« Reply #11612 on: April 25, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »

I don't think anyone's saying the CEO's job isn't hard, but that it's easy for the upper levels of management to lose sight of what's reasonable to require of their worker bees.

Not only do many good workers jump ship because they lose sight, but also customers.

How many of us avoid a place because of sales harassment? Or how frustrating a phone call is? Look at all the stores and malls closing.

Being on top is difficult (I don't want that job), but they need to be aware of those at the bottom.

MrTango

« Reply #11613 on: April 25, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »

Not only do many good workers jump ship because they lose sight, but also customers.

How many of us avoid a place because of sales harassment? Or how frustrating a phone call is? Look at all the stores and malls closing.

Being on top is difficult (I don't want that job), but they need to be aware of those at the bottom.

Yep.  And when sales goals become unrealistic (and oversight from senior management is lacking), you get a situation where you have to fire 5,300 employees and admit that your company opened up 2 million fraudulent accounts.

eltf177

« Reply #11614 on: April 26, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »

Yep.  And when sales goals become unrealistic (and oversight from senior management is lacking), you get a situation where you have to fire 5,300 employees and admit that your company opened up 2 million fraudulent accounts.

Oh yeah, check this out...

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=115817

TeamBhakta

« Reply #11615 on: April 26, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »
PD & Special Snowflake all in one: A port authority commissioner tried to throw her weight around when the police pulled over a car her daughter was a passenger in. Everyone was over 18, so the cops said she needed to ask the driver & the passengers instead. She told the cops "You may shut the (front door) up"

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/watch_video_shows_pa_commissioner_telling_cops_to.html

https://youtu.be/Goj-1stJpoA?t=51m11s
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:18:31 AM by TeamBhakta »

eltf177

« Reply #11616 on: April 27, 2018, 03:03:08 AM »
Apparently she's been fired over this, and she should be. Talk about abuse of power!

And with this all over the internet she'll have no trouble getting more work... ::)

HoneyBee42

« Reply #11617 on: April 27, 2018, 06:33:55 AM »
Wow ... you would think that Yale grad students and whatever would have enough intelligence to make sure that they had the registration/insurance info available (in which case it would have just been cite-and-release).

I guess there is an inverse relationship between ego and common sense.

MrTango

« Reply #11618 on: April 27, 2018, 07:37:49 AM »
Apparently she's been fired over this, and she should be. Talk about abuse of power!

And with this all over the internet she'll have no trouble getting more work... ::)

Interviewer: "Hey, aren't you the former politician who went ape over your daughter being pulled over a few months back?
Crazy Lady: "Umm..."
Interviewer: "Yeah, the position's been filled."

LadyBe205

« Reply #11619 on: April 27, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »
PD & Special Snowflake all in one: A port authority commissioner tried to throw her weight around when the police pulled over a car her daughter was a passenger in. Everyone was over 18, so the cops said she needed to ask the driver & the passengers instead. She told the cops "You may shut the (front door) up"

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/watch_video_shows_pa_commissioner_telling_cops_to.html

Those officers did an awesome job handling the situation.

Reika

« Reply #11620 on: April 27, 2018, 12:45:23 PM »
The part that gets me with that commissioner is that she was part of the ethics board.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #11621 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:27 PM »
LEOs were consummate professionals. An outstanding example of how to be polite but firm in a challenging situation.

She's a real piece of work. I wonder what her kids are like with a smother like that.

jpcher

« Reply #11622 on: April 27, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

Those officers did an awesome job handling the situation.

Totally agree with this. The officers were amazing.

I almost wanted to see them pull her over for not using her turn signal when she pulled into the traffic lane. (Bad, jpcher, bad!)

But, then again, the term "Don't engage the crazy" comes to mind. ::)

squeakers

« Reply #11623 on: April 28, 2018, 03:37:41 AM »

Modest pay? CEOs tend to make much more than modest pay.  And CEOs have "people".  Under them. To take care of screw ups.  They only have to worry when their "people" screw up taking care of screw ups.  Since that means they are responsible for what their underlings did.

Which is the way it is supposed to be: crap rolls downhill... but someone is responsible for the crap.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

MissRose

« Reply #11624 on: April 28, 2018, 06:02:43 AM »

I read about her.  I am glad she is out of a job.  Even if you have a position of power, no need to throw it around to get yourself or someone else out of trouble.