News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 4201758 times)

Bada

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11775 on: March 16, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »
I doubt the $180 she got was worth it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/custodian-at-a-south-carolina-school-steals-students-money-during-walkout/ar-BBKiM04?OCID=ansmsnnews11

While students in a South Carolina school participated in the National School Walkout this week, a custodian helped herself to their cash, police said.

The incident occurred at Richland Northeast High School on Wednesday.

Aisha Evans, a custodian at the school, went into a classroom while students were outside and rummaged through three book bags, the Richland County Sheriff's Department said.

In all, Evans stole $180, the department said.

The custodian was arrested soon afterward and charged with three counts of petty larceny.

Evans, 32, was employed by Service Solutions, an agency that provides custodial services to the district's school.

The agency terminated the woman, the school district told CNN affiliate WIS.

"On Thursday, March 15, Service Solutions notified Richland Two that Evans is no longer an employee of the company and was informed that she cannot come on any Richland Two property," Richland Two School District said in its statement to the affiliate.

gmatoy

« Reply #11776 on: March 16, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
Galloping Gertie is a part of our town's story. Why there weren't deaths (other than a poor dog) is still beyond me. The horrible movement of the bridge from the wind probably saved lives.
There are still people who will do almost anything not to drive on the replacement bridge or the new bridge that was built so each bridge is one way.

HenrysMom

« Reply #11777 on: March 18, 2018, 02:20:33 AM »
Galloping Gertie is a part of our town's story. Why there weren't deaths (other than a poor dog) is still beyond me. The horrible movement of the bridge from the wind probably saved lives.
There are still people who will do almost anything not to drive on the replacement bridge or the new bridge that was built so each bridge is one way.

I read the Wikipedia article - poor Tubby!

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #11778 on: March 18, 2018, 10:31:14 PM »
The Hyatt one was in a book called "Why Buildings Fall Down". It covers a lot of disasters including "Galloping Gertie" and a bunch of others. I'll have to go find it in my stash. There is also a companion book called "Why Buildings Stand Up." They are probably 20+ years old but are very good reads.

Yes, that was the one!  It was a great read, I really enjoyed it.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #11779 on: March 19, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
A major case of PD appears to have happened at Florida International University today...

A pedestrian bridge collapsed on campus while still under construction.  From looking at the design drawings and photos of the bridge before and after the collapse, it looks like they put up the suspension span and had it supported from below, but hadn't built the tower/cable structure that would permanently support the bridge.  The supports underneath the span either failed or were removed, resulting in the entire section collapsing.

There was something on the news that it collapsed while they were doing "stress tests" on it. If true, that means they were testing it *live* without the full supports in place.

My thoughts for everyone who was hurt, and the families of those killed. Whatever the cause, this was a horrific accident.

Yeah, I saw that too.  Whoever authorized the "stress test" without stopping all traffic under the bridge ought to be held criminally liable for the deaths they caused.

That was my thought too; just like when they implode a building, the make sure a pretty large area around it is clear!

Chez Miriam

« Reply #11780 on: March 19, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
I worked a place that wouldn't let you access anything to do with two English counties...

Essex and Sussex!

What about Middlesex?  >:D

Doesn’t exist anymore.

Nobody's told their cricket club!  [Which was why I was looking as Sussex (ex's county) and Essex (ah, the lovely Nasser Hussain :-*).]
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #11781 on: March 19, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »
Hi Chez Miriam,
You will probably appreciate the fact that I have a new auditor.  Imran Khan.  Very nice chap but unfortunately an Australian Accountant.  My mother told her fellow inmates at the Nursing Home about Imran and gained many kudos.  He said people were a bit taken back when they first met him, but it was a good ice breaker at parties.  He has an uncle who goes by his initials GK as you will never guess what his first name is - well you probably will.

Shalamar

« Reply #11782 on: March 19, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
Am I the only one who’s completely bewildered by amandaelizabeth’s post?

rain

« Reply #11783 on: March 19, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »
Nope...
In search of a tag line

Mary Lennox

« Reply #11784 on: March 19, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
Imran Khan is a very famous former cricket player (not to be confused with Imran Khan who currently plays). I'm guessing his uncle is Genghis Khan.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #11785 on: March 19, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Imran Khan is a very gorgeous cricketer, with oodles of charm.  Not to mention he was a fantastic player. You probably ought to be from a cricketing nation to fully appreciate his adoration. 

Shalamar

« Reply #11786 on: March 19, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »
Ah, that helps ... I don’t follow sports at all and have never heard of him.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #11787 on: March 20, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »
Imran Khan is a very gorgeous cricketer, with oodles of charm.  Not to mention he was a fantastic player. You probably ought to be from a cricketing nation to fully appreciate his adoration.

You could also mention that he founded two hospitals in Pakistan and that he's (I think) a currently sitting member of the Pakistan National Assembly - things that might get more of a notice outside of the cricketing world. (And, heck, he's been a politician now far longer than he was a cricketer at this point!)

And I'm highly amused by the idea of someone's uncle being Ghengis Khan :) (Can see why he'd go by GK, though!)

Chez Miriam

« Reply #11788 on: March 20, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »

You could also mention that he founded two hospitals in Pakistan and that he's (I think) a currently sitting member of the Pakistan National Assembly - things that might get more of a notice outside of the cricketing world. (And, heck, he's been a politician now far longer than he was a cricketer at this point!)

And I'm highly amused by the idea of someone's uncle being Ghengis Khan :) (Can see why he'd go by GK, though!)

I'd love to have an Uncle Ghengis!!  Thanks for the smile, amandaelizabeth!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

AnnaT

« Reply #11789 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:30 PM »

I'd love to have an Uncle Ghengis!!  Thanks for the smile, amandaelizabeth!
Given his prolific offspring (the original that is), there is a chance that you do (many many times great) - quick google search says its 1 in 200