Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1468827 times)

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
Re: Professional Darwinism
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
I worked for a major pharmaceutical manufacturing firm.  One of our products contained codeine, a very effective narcotic pain reliever.  It was delivered to our facility by armored car and armed guards.  We had very strict rules for handling it and storing it.  It was kept under lock and key at all times.

One of our employees got his hands on the form we used to order codeine.  He ordered some to be delivered to his home address.  The supplier noticed the new, unauthorized address and notified the Drug Enforcement Agency.  The delivery was made, but the delivery person was a DEA agent.  

I heard the employee got 15 years in federal prison.  

One of the legendary stories here at work was my former boss' boss (he has since gotten promoted yay!) Got a call from our procurement officer. This guy was extremely through. As in if you had a question you would come in the next day and find 15 voicemails from 2 hours before you were to have started. Anyhow Procurement Office (PO) is accidentally delivered a package from our lab that is supposed to go to Bad Employee, and it contained something that  can be used to make either meth or cocaine (I don't recall which) and he calls Boss and says "Hey your employee's package got delivered here by mistake. What are you using drug ingredient on?" None of the other procurement officers would have opened the package, but this guy was VERY thorough.
Boss says "Hmmmm... as far as I know nothing... maybe it was a mistake." (This happens a lot. You order agar and they accidentally ship you Lab B's order, chloroform, and Lab B gets your agar).
He goes back and realizes that Bad Employee has been fudging packaging slips, ordering the ingredients to make drugs and then photocopying old invoices from normal orders for the same amount, and submitting those with the credit card slips. Since the old system just had the name of the suppier and the cash amount, it all seemed above ground.

But... better yet, he was making up the drugs and then taking the government vehicle into the hood to sell them! My boss followed him one day (I think he fantasises about being on 24 or something :) ) and discovered that the bad employee was driving into the hood and selling drugs while on the clock. So he called the feds and the guy was put in prison. The best part was hearing him tell the story at his house at a party and his wife turns to him and says "Wait... you FOLLOWED this idiot WHERE?!?!? Are you INSANE?!?!?"

taralee

• Just happy to be here
    • TheQuiltingSpot
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
I worked as a circulation supervisor at a university library for a couple of years. We used a lot of undergrads to man the desk, and generally they were pretty reliable and trustworthy, although there were exceptions, of course. I hated firing people, but it had to be done occasionally. The one I remember the most (Robert) was actually one of our best workers, which was a shame. The circ. desk computer had two logins -- the student login, and the admin login (which allowed a lot more capability, obviously). We generally kept the computer logged in to the admin login, because it was a bother to have to transfer back and forth between them all the time. Robert had apparently seen me forgive someone's fines at some point, and so knew the process to do it.

What he didn't know is that I would get reports every week on various circulation related processes, one of which is a list of all fines forgiven with the time and date. When I saw the report that said that over $100 in fines had been forgiven from his account during a shift that he had worked, and I knew that neither I nor the other supervisor forgave them, I didn't have any other choice but to let him go. It was awful firing him -- he cried.
Come check out my quilting website: http://www.thequiltingspot.com

otterwoman

« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »
Update to Post #1:  Bob called me at 6:30a this morning saying he had hit a patch of ice and blew a tire and wouldn't be in.  (Odd, I didn't see any ice when I was driving in, but I digress...)  Two hours later, his Facebook is updated with "Icy today, think I'll stay home."  We're supposed to get 1"-3" of snow tonight so I guess we won't see him for the rest of the week.

If you need me, I'll be at work...  ::)

Wow.  :o You'd think this guy would realize Facebook isn't the place to be when you don't go into work.

sparklestar

« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
Ah the drugs thing... I knew I had more stories!

When I was young and naive I had a job at an entertainment company - I was just answering the phones, making coffee, working reception etc.  Usually couriers would come in and I would sign for the packages and take them to whoever they were for leaving them on their desk.  However, several employees would come down on Fridays insisting "If a package comes for me in a yellow jiffy bag you can't leave it on my desk - keep it with you and give it only to me".   I found out all the other receptionists had refused to sign for the weekend party supplies - and I always wonder when I see yellow jiffy bags! 

A few years later when not so naive but still working in entertainment, we had an employee who would have a regular annual drug addiction cycle:
October-December was party season and no one really noticed his consumption getting out of hand
Jan/Feb - Consumption contiinues but is now obvious as everyone else is on their new year detox - he continues.  HR step in when he does something heinous - this has included swearing at clients, standing on the boardroom table screaming "I am the dogs!!" and telling a policeman that no one in the industry gets arrested for doing drugs (he did, because he declared this whilst snorting a few lines off the pub table).
Mar-May Spent in rehab.  As this happens annually, he's had to resign or be fired a few times for the company's health insurance to pay for it again.
June - he re-emerges with a phone call "Hiya, what's the goss? What've you got for me?  I am AMAZING!  Like really alive, totally off the drugs".  He works solidly for 4 months and does more business during those 4 months than an entire team put together which is why he remains employed... Possibly his little holiday refreshes him!

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
Here's another.  A friend of a friend applied for a job, and for a reference gave the name of the boss who'd just fired him.  Who had sacked him for gross misconduct and thought he was a disgrace.

Apparently the new workplace rang him up and had to hold the phone a foot away.  He didn't get the job, but they did tell him why.

We had a phone call only today from a woman who was sacked for gross misconduct (hiding work and costing the company a fortune plus risking us losing the government contract that keeps the firm going) asking for a reference.  Since she's been through 3/4 jobs since she was summarily fired (and in the UK that is really hard to do without being sued), the fact that she thinks our mutual boss will give her a better reference than anyone else says something about her conduct in subsequent jobs.

Namárië

« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
Hmmm... I fired a work study student once because she showed up to work several times under the influence of LSD.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
Update to Post #1:  Bob called me at 6:30a this morning saying he had hit a patch of ice and blew a tire and wouldn't be in.  (Odd, I didn't see any ice when I was driving in, but I digress...)  Two hours later, his Facebook is updated with "Icy today, think I'll stay home."  We're supposed to get 1"-3" of snow tonight so I guess we won't see him for the rest of the week.

Wow.  :o You'd think this guy would realize Facebook isn't the place to be when you don't go into work.

I dont see anything wrong with posting to social networking sites if one is legitimately prevented from going to work - ie. "6ft of snow, guess I'm staying home today..."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:13:44 PM by aiki »
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »

Wow.  :o You'd think this guy would realize Facebook isn't the place to be when you don't go into work.

Especially when:

1) He feels the need to post his transgressions,  ::)  and

2) He's befriended the rest of the team, all of whom have FB accounts and view them while at work.   :o

Sounds like "Bob" has some short-term memory issues.

You'd think he'd remember two hours later about already having gotten up, left for work, and blown that tire on that patch of ice...    ;)

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »
I dont see anything wrong with posting to social networking sites if one is legitimately prevented from going to work - ie. "6ft of snow, guess I'm staying home today..."

Bob called one morning last week to say that even though the roads were now plowed, his driveway was still piled high with snow and his 2WD Jeep was stuck... so he wouldn't be in.  When asked why he didn't shovel it, he said that while the roads were not plowed he couldn't go anywhere anyhow so why shovel?  ???

We're wondering what will happen when the weather gets better.  "Hi, Pat.  This is Bob.  It's really sunny today and I can't find my sunglasses so I won't be in."  We'll be watching FB very closely that day.  8)

I've gotten the call about a dead battery, and when asked about jumper cables, he said they are in his son's car and his son is at school.  (I suggested since he's making a six figure salary that maybe he could head to Sears and get another set of really good cables for about $35.)

You're misreading me. I didn't say that Bob was legitimately prevented from getting to work. I was objecting to Pat's blanket condemnation of Facebook while one is off work for whatever reason.
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
I remember being told about this one at my last job.

New building going up across the street for our company's new division (expansion back in 1999).  Apparently the balconies were an attractive nuisance, as a couple had to......."christen" them - after the security video cameras went live............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »
Ah, the drug theme reminded me of this one... my friend Sue gets on from work one night and her DH tells her that they have to go to Bobby's (Bobby is his 16-year-old son) workplace - a large department store.  Why she asks?  Well, it seems that he is being held by the police in the manager's office. 

Turns out that Bobby had been skimming store points off of customer cards somehow and then converting them into store gift cards for himself.  He had done this to the tune of $2000 before management noticed something amiss. Anyway, the police officer wrote up a report, but let him off with a warning because the store dropped the charges as Bobby's mom was willing to pay back the money.  The manager, needless to say, had to fire him, but was almost in tears because Bobby had been one of their best employees and everyone loved him... and now felt totally betrayed.

Sue and her DH eventually (later that week) found out that Bobby was stealing to support his cocaine habit  :o!

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2010, 11:46:17 PM »
I am not in any way condemning use of Facebook.  Everyone else on my team uses it all the time.  I was just stating that Bob's repeated posting to a public forum, which he knows is being viewed in the office, when he is using perhaps less than valid reasons for being home is a poor choice. 

I posted on Facebook one day when I was off work... to complain about how sick I was.  8)

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
I am not in any way condemning use of Facebook.  Everyone else on my team uses it all the time.  I was just stating that Bob's repeated posting to a public forum, which he knows is being viewed in the office, when he is using perhaps less than valid reasons for being home is a poor choice. 

I posted on Facebook one day when I was off work... to complain about how sick I was.  8)

I don't disagree with that at all - but at the same time, that's why I don't have any co-workers on my Facebook (it's only a very few people).  I agree completely that even if someone feels moderately ill, they can probably still post - but then the workplace could figure the same thing.  If they felt well enough to post on Facebook, they had darned well better get themselves into the workplace.  They obviously weren't that sick.....

I'm not disagreeing at all that ill employees should stay home, just that the employer could have a different perspective.

redsfan

« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2010, 12:45:24 AM »
A coworker that I didn't particularly like applied for a job that I had previously applied for (and didn't get).  Four interviews later, she gets the job.  I put on my best face about it, because it did get me down.  I finally resigned myself to being happy that she was leaving when she announced that the new job didn't work out, and she was happier at the current place. 

What I later found out was she couldn't pass a drug test.  She had asked a friend to supply her with a clean sample, and friend obliged.  Unfortunately for her, friend wasn't exactly clean.  When prescription pills and cocaine(!!) showed up, the new job went away.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2010, 01:19:45 AM »
This happened shortly after I left a company.  I knew someone who still worked there.

The really good HR person had left the company and so corporate had to hire someone new.  This company published statistics on workplace diversity because of all the government contracts and e-mailed this to the entire staff, which was located across multiple states.  This was the HR person's responsibility.

Well, apparently she didn't really know how to use Outlook and Excel all that well.

Instead of mailing everyone a copy of the section on racial makeup, meaning just sending out a chart in the e-mail, she attached the entire spreadsheet to the e-mail.  This was the full employee database, including everyone in the company's salary information.  Turns out, there were some huge disparities in pay at a time when people were being laid off or having their salaries cut to "control costs".

The resulting chaos storm got ugly, to say the least.

(I still don't know why the company insisted on using a spreadsheet instead of a real database.)

Ours is in a spreadsheet. (It's also in the online payroll system, but I guess the spreadsheet is for easy reference).   

I live in terror of accidentally sending it out to the main dist list... I often do have to email it to various different head office HR people or executives.   We have horrific pay discrepancies, so it would mean mass walk-outs when people discover somebody is getting paid $20,000 more for doing the exact same job that they are, just because the company hired them at a different time.   We pay as little as we can to each person.   Did I mention I hate my company?

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"