Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1370839 times)

PeterM

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2745 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
I will say though, that I was with kglory and just thought "Why didn't she just give him a nickel instead of a sandwich one day?" We overly literal types have to stick together, you know...

The prevailing theory in my family has always been that she was not as eager to be reunited with Charlie as she wanted others to think.

figee

« Reply #2746 on: August 12, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »
Now I understand!  Thank you.    :D

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2747 on: August 13, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
A Boston Traffic Supervisor (whatever that entails) was struck by a bus as he was trying to ticket the driver.   The driver also struck several parked cars.

Just so you know, working for the MBTA is a HIGHLY coveted job.

Just an aside, when my dad started work  for the MBTA (probably over 50 years ago, now), it wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew.

He knew someone, went in for an interview. They asked him if he had a bus license. He said yes. They never asked to see it. He didn't even have a DRIVER'S LICENSE. He had never driven a car in his life. (Poor city kid). He went out that week and got a learner's permit. He drove a public bus for months on a learner's permit.

But did he ever return?

***ducks***runs***
***runs after, shouting*** NO, he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned.

Was his name Charlie? *flees*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

blueyzca01

« Reply #2748 on: August 13, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
I used to work for Car Rental Company that specializes in replacement vehicles, i.e., insurance rentals.

Obviously, we did a lot of business with the local auto repair facilities and insurance companies.  And because of the high volume of insurance rentals, we did a lot of wooing of insurance adjusters, to make sure that our office was the referral.

I was relatively new at this particular office, and I was asked to go along with the Assistant Manager (AM) while she took a local adjuster to lunch.  I sat in the back seat.

Somehow, we ended up in this discussion about how some people really do trash the rental cars and some of the disgusting things we found while cleaning the cars (Male desensitizing lotion, anyone?).  This morphed into a discussion about the cars that run the poorest and don’t take well to abuse. 

So, Bigmouth in the Backseat starts talking about the Ford Tempos and how awful they are.  For a solid 5 minutes.  “They’re the most disgusting cars! They’re absolutely horrible!  Why on earth would anyone in their right mind purchase one of these cars?!?!?”

Nice Adjuster Lady in the front seat is quiet during my soliloquy.  Then AM asks Nice Adjuster Lady what kind of car she drives.  And she proceeds to tell us all about her Brand-Spanking-New-First-New-Car she’s ever bought…Ford Tempo.

We didn’t hear from her a lot after that lunch. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #2749 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
I used to work for Car Rental Company that specializes in replacement vehicles, i.e., insurance rentals.

Obviously, we did a lot of business with the local auto repair facilities and insurance companies.  And because of the high volume of insurance rentals, we did a lot of wooing of insurance adjusters, to make sure that our office was the referral.

I was relatively new at this particular office, and I was asked to go along with the Assistant Manager (AM) while she took a local adjuster to lunch.  I sat in the back seat.

Somehow, we ended up in this discussion about how some people really do trash the rental cars and some of the disgusting things we found while cleaning the cars (Male desensitizing lotion, anyone?).  This morphed into a discussion about the cars that run the poorest and don’t take well to abuse. 

So, Bigmouth in the Backseat starts talking about the Ford Tempos and how awful they are.  For a solid 5 minutes.  “They’re the most disgusting cars! They’re absolutely horrible!  Why on earth would anyone in their right mind purchase one of these cars?!?!?”

Nice Adjuster Lady in the front seat is quiet during my soliloquy.  Then AM asks Nice Adjuster Lady what kind of car she drives.  And she proceeds to tell us all about her Brand-Spanking-New-First-New-Car she’s ever bought…Ford Tempo.

We didn’t hear from her a lot after that lunch.

Oh dear.   In my experience, it's always wise to avoid expressing overly-strong opinions in the business world unless you're confident of not offending somebody.  If you'd expressed your opinion more gently, you'd have been able to backtrack.   Because you expressed it so vehemently, it was impossible to save the situation.  This is why I also recommend people be factual instead of judmental in their criticism.  You could have criticised a specific fact about the car - poor boot space?  Strange looking hood?   Instead you implied that people who bought those cars were crazy and tasteless, no way to get out of that one!   Ouch!   

I guess on the bright side, it could have been worse - it could have been your boss whose car and taste you just trash talked!   ;D
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

NbyNW

« Reply #2750 on: August 13, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
An earlier posting reminded me of one from my early years long, long ago.

I had just gotten out of school and was searching for my first " grown up" job. I was sent out to interview for an office job . During the course of the interview  the man interviewing me asked me to guess how old he was (I don't remember why). Well, to me anyone older than my friends and I was OLD to begin with and this gentleman's hair was thinning and his hairline was unfortunately receding. To my young eyes he looked older than dirt (at least 55!!). Even I knew it would be better to underestimate his age so I shaved off 10 years and guessed 45. He was 37. Yeah, I didn't get that job!

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #2751 on: August 13, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »
Unless you were applying for the carnival job of "I'll Guess Your Weight" or "I'll Guess You Age" he had no reason to ask that.
 >:(
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #2752 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
Unless you were applying for the carnival job of "I'll Guess Your Weight" or "I'll Guess You Age" he had no reason to ask that.
 >:(

The words "fishing for compliments" comes to mind. :P

By the way, my son had that job at an amusement park.   He had no clue what he was doing.

One day a really really portly gentleman played.   My son said "250."    He knew he was way more, but he didn't want to hurt his feelings.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2753 on: August 14, 2012, 09:13:41 AM »
When in a law enforcement career, particularly when working in a jail, it is unwise to befriend the people you are responsible for keeping locked up.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/14/georgia-jailer-fired-after-facebook-friend-requests/?test=latestnews

Two jail deputies in Georgia were trading scrabble conversation with a 23-year-old female inmate, then sent friend requests to her on facebook. One was fired and one resigned first.

::)

Pippen

« Reply #2754 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:42 PM »
From my own personal archive

When I was an business account manager for a large Telco my manager informed me one day that the GM of our division was sending his 15 year old son to us for 3 days. Guess which muggins was charged with looking after him and teaching him about the business. Yes. Me. Not flipping happy. It turns out this kid lived overseas and didn't get to see his dad that often and he didn't want him hanging around at home alone so he sent him to us, ostensibly to get some work experience but basically we were babysitting him.

It was an unmitigated disaster. The first day he arrived 3 hours late with a hangover (yes at 15) after being out all night. I was out having a smoke with some work mates and he kept trying to cadge them off me and got snotty when I told him 'Like Heck!". He wanted to tell me all about the parties and clubs he would go to in his home city so I got no work done. He 'borrowed' $10 of me to go and get McDonalds. Disappeared for the rest of the afternoon so when his Dad came to pick him up around 5.30pm I had to inform him not only had I lost his child but I had a pretty good idea where he would be, which was some dodgy pool hall he had been telling me he had been at the night before.

Basically informing the GM his child is an out of control, lazy, alcoholic, thieving snot nosed brat and could I please have my $10 back is not easy but there was no way on God's Green Earth I was putting up with 2 more days of that.

weeblewobble

« Reply #2755 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
I will say though, that I was with kglory and just thought "Why didn't she just give him a nickel instead of a sandwich one day?" We overly literal types have to stick together, you know...

The prevailing theory in my family has always been that she was not as eager to be reunited with Charlie as she wanted others to think.

That's what I said!!

My husband accused me of trying to ruin his favorite song for him.

Iris

« Reply #2756 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »

That's what I said!!

My husband accused me of trying to ruin his favorite song for him.

Well, it's the only logical conclusion, surely :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2757 on: August 16, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
From my own personal archive

When I was an business account manager for a large Telco my manager informed me one day that the GM of our division was sending his 15 year old son to us for 3 days. Guess which muggins was charged with looking after him and teaching him about the business. Yes. Me. Not flipping happy. It turns out this kid lived overseas and didn't get to see his dad that often and he didn't want him hanging around at home alone so he sent him to us, ostensibly to get some work experience but basically we were babysitting him.

It was an unmitigated disaster. The first day he arrived 3 hours late with a hangover (yes at 15) after being out all night. I was out having a smoke with some work mates and he kept trying to cadge them off me and got snotty when I told him 'Like Heck!". He wanted to tell me all about the parties and clubs he would go to in his home city so I got no work done. He 'borrowed' $10 of me to go and get McDonalds. Disappeared for the rest of the afternoon so when his Dad came to pick him up around 5.30pm I had to inform him not only had I lost his child but I had a pretty good idea where he would be, which was some dodgy pool hall he had been telling me he had been at the night before.

Basically informing the GM his child is an out of control, lazy, alcoholic, thieving snot nosed brat and could I please have my $10 back is not easy but there was no way on God's Green Earth I was putting up with 2 more days of that.

Pippen, you are my new hero!

Grancalla

« Reply #2758 on: August 16, 2012, 03:57:06 PM »
I don't I posted this, yet, but if I did, I apologize.

Way back when I was working on my undergrad degree, I worked in a fast food restaurant part-time. There was another cashier and an assistant manager who were friends outside work, with whom I'd gotten along nicely, or so I thought. Both were in their late 20's- in other words, old enough to know better.

One day, during the lunch rush, when we were packed to the gills, the assistant manager in question was assigned to work drive-thru. The cashier and I were on the front line. But then the drive-thru alarm kept going off. And going off. And going off. Then people came in to complain that they'd been waiting in drive-thru for unusually long periods of time. The GM goes to see what the deal is, and finds that both the AM and her friend were gone. They'd just up and left in the middle of lunch rush.

It wasn't a case of finally getting the straw that broke the camel's back, either. They'd both planned it. From what I found out later, the week before this, the GM had written up one of the cooks for something. As it turned out, the AM was dating this particular cook. She and her friend planned to walk out and leave the store short-handed in the middle of lunch rush as "revenge".

What makes this even more Sweet monkey fritters!-y is that the previous week, the AM had treated me and the other cashiers on duty to a loud rant, clearly audible to the everyone in the store, on how men of a certain ethnic group were untrustworthy scum, and the cook she was dating belonged to that ethnic group. I could only assume the rant was because of something he did. I guess they made up, if she was willing the throw her job away for him a week later.
My gallery

I sell art and crafty things! Linky

JadeAngel

« Reply #2759 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:28 PM »
I was out shopping on the weekend and ran into a Professional Darwinist sales assistant.

There's a shop I particularly like because the sales staff are really excellent - example: I was trying on tops and skirts and the sales assistant I was dealing with brought me three or four suggestions, items I hadn't seen on the rack, which looked great on me, two of which I ended up buying.

At the store were the manager, the senior sales assistant and a junior sales assistant. I have dealt with the manager and senior sales assistant before and they are both pretty familiar with the things I like. The manager was helping me at this time, and the senior sales assistant was helping a lady in another changeroom who was looking for a dress for her son's wedding (the mother of the bride was wearing plum so she went for something very pretty in lilac) the junior sales assistant had hung my clothes when I first came in, but the senior staff member had taken over. I was talking with the manager who had brought me a few more options when we both became aware of raised voices out on the shop floor. The junior sales assistant was accusing the senior sales assistant of 'stealing' her customers, and taken umbrage when the senior sales assistant told her that she wasn't needed for the mother of the groom and to find another customer or tidy the racks.

At this point the manager handed me the garments we were discussing and hurried out onto the floor telling both of them to keep their voices down and not argue in the middle of the shop. I have no idea how it was resolved, but when I went out to pay for my garments, junior sales assistant was nowhere to be seen and senior sales assistant was tidying the racks. I'm sure it is very frustrating when you help a customer and then have someone higher placed just take over, but that's entry level positions. You get the coffee, sweep the floors, tidy the stockroom and keep your mouth shut and soon you will have your own regular customers and a junior staffer of your very own to boss around...