Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1283758 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2760 on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
Many years ago, I was taking Basic Training in the Army Reseserve , one of the first things we learned was the fundementals of drill - marching, standing at attention and so forth.
Drill is taught ' by the numbers - each movement is executed as the instructor calls out the count.

One of the recruits was having a very hard time with this.
He was consistently a half beat behind every movement, and there was a brief - but noticeable - lag before he responded to the count.

Finally, the instructor started asking him questions, trying to figure out why this recruit just.wasn't.getting.it.

The recruits answer was honest - and total PD - "It's probably the cocaine I did last night. It really slows down my responses."  :o :o

He wasn't there the next day... ::) ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2761 on: August 21, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
A group of daycare workers ran a toddler "fight club". Concerns me about the future of humanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/21/daycare-workers-accused-running-toddler-fight-club/

Jones

« Reply #2762 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
A group of daycare workers ran a toddler "fight club". Concerns me about the future of humanity.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/21/daycare-workers-accused-running-toddler-fight-club/

Hands of our Future Daycare: Where the hands of the future are fists.
Such an ironic name.
This is a truly disturbing article!!

gadget--gal

« Reply #2763 on: August 21, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
ooh, I just remembered this one!

A couple of winters ago, I knitted myself come beautiful fingerless mitts (Malabrigo - if you're into hand dyed yarn, you'll "get" it!) One morning at work, I thought I'd misplaced one, so I tried to find it quickly. couldnt find it, so I took a screen break and went to look in the around the car.

There was no sign of the mitt in  the car but there was a road sweeper. so I asked him if he'd seen a purple mitten lying around. He said he hadnt. After I turned to walk away he began to make obscene comments about my, ahem, figure. I was aghast and eaven turned around to day, "are you serious?!" but he kept right on.

Now here's where the Darwinism comes in:

1. He's a roadsweeper in uniform, clearly employed by the local government. Moreover, as he's working on a particular street at a particular time he's easily identifiable.  it would take a member of the public one phonecall to have him reported.

2. I'm not just a member of the public -  I work for the very same local government; but as I dont wear a unform, *he* wouldn't have known that.  ;)

All I had to do was go back to my office, look up the manager of the street cleaning department and make my unbrage known. The Manager on the line apologised and told me something would be done. Ten minutes later, another manager called me from a cellphone to clarify a couple of points, as he was on his way to the designated place to fire him.

At first I felt bad (why does that hapopen??) that I'd got someone fired the day before New Year's Eve but then realised that no one foriced him to say those vile things.

oh an the kicker was, the mitt was in the bottom of my handbag all along.  :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:29:05 PM by gadget--gal »

sevenday

« Reply #2764 on: August 21, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »
Just had one. Don't know if it's complete PD but it's certainly not going to help her any.  Visited a doctor yesterday, and doc wanted me to get bloodwork through a certain lab affiliated with their offices.  Well and good, but she didn't  mention if you had to have an appointment or if walk-ins were okay.  It was late when I left the office, so the labs were closed.  I called Location A at 1:30 today - their location is near my dentist, who I have to see on Thursday anyway. I figured if it was walk-in friendly, then I could kill two birds with one stone.  Important to the story is that I am deaf and to make calls I use an IP Relay service.  Basically, I use IMs to contact an interpreter, who calls a number for me.  This means I have logs of these calls on my computer. 

So - first call, 1:36 AM, to Location A.  Ring 1, 2 - "I'm WORKING, I'm busy, buh-bye." CLICK.  I ask the operator to redial, hoping maybe I'll get someone else.  Nope.  Ring 1, 2 - same person picks up.  "you know you can't call a business. this is a MEDICAL CLINIC."  click.  Now, the operators do identify themselves as being relay service for the deaf, so why this woman didn't clue in that a CUSTOMER was trying to call, I don't know.  I realize that some businesses get "fake" relay calls trying to scam them, but if you are in a business that permits customers/clients to CALL YOU asking for information, you need to realize that on occasion an actual deaf customer might want to call - therefore, you can't blanket-policy hang up on relay customers like this charming lady did. 

I call Location B, near a different clinic that I will need to visit in the future.  Ring 1, 2, woman answers, introduces herself, acknowledges the relay call. I ask her if walk-ins are okay.  She tells me they are, asks if I need directions.  I say no, that's all I needed to know, thank you.  She wishes me a great day and hangs up. Call over in less than 2 minutes, and much more positive.

I found an email address for customer relations for this particular labratory service and wrote them a very stern email outlining what happened and that I had verifiable computer logs to prove exactly what she said.  This woman, I hope, is going to find herself facing some retraining because of her behavior.  And rightfully so.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #2765 on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:20 PM »
Hmm - I hadn't thought of this, but Sevenday's post reminded me...

In 2011, my health insurance company had *Big Lab Company (BLC), as their designated lab. That means that, if I go to that company's local lab, I pay nothing, but if I use a different one, I have to pay a percentage.

I have 3 doctors. By coincidence, they all wanted lab work the same week, and they all wanted the same two tests. So I took all the forms and went to the BLC branch. I figured it would save my insurance company some money, since they could do two tests, and send the results to all three doctors.

I started getting billed by BLC, so I called my insurance company. We got the mixup sorted - but it was revealed that the lab had billed them for three separate versions of those two tests. The insurance company paid for 6 tests when they should only have been billed for 2.

This year, we have a different lab company. Gee, I wonder why?  >:D
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Minmom3

« Reply #2766 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »

What feeble brained fool thought they could do that and not get caught?!?!?   ::)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2767 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »

What feeble brained fool thought they could do that and not get caught?!?!?   ::)

POD. How can they be cruel enough to turn the child and send them back in to fight?

kitty-cat

« Reply #2768 on: August 22, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
I don't know if this is PD, or Greek Life Darwinism. Last semester we had a girl who was pretty much just coasting by waiting for graduation. She would have succeeded except for a few things. BG- Drinking while wearing letters is forbidden. If caught you will get called into standards and you will be in trouble. Also, at formals, your date is not allowed to have a flask. End BG

Yeah, pretty obvious. She got caught drinking in letters more than once and pretty much showed no remorse for it. And her date for Spring Formal showed up already drunk and with a flask. As your date's behavior reflects on you, it was pretty much the straw that broke the camels back.

And the sad part? It was only like 3-4 weeks left in the semester before graduation.

NE Florida

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2769 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »

Before cell phone cameras I think they would have totally gotten away with it.

Around 1990, some friends of mine were watching the news during sweeps week and that is how they learned their daycare was drugging their baby.  They saw their baby being drugged by the daycare.  The news show had put hidden cameras on some kids.  My friends had done all the things you are supposed to do to check-out a daycare. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #2770 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »

Before cell phone cameras I think they would have totally gotten away with it.

Around 1990, some friends of mine were watching the news during sweeps week and that is how they learned their daycare was drugging their baby.  They saw their baby being drugged by the daycare.  The news show had put hidden cameras on some kids.  My friends had done all the things you are supposed to do to check-out a daycare.

So the parents weren't even informed by the people with the hidden camera before it went out on the news?!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2771 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
Nope.  I think they were focused on ratings.  In fact, the video had been from a few weeks before but they'd held it until sweeps week.

We'd had plans to meet at their place and then go eat, and we showed up while they were still shell-shocked. 

I am very pro Stay-At-Home-Parent.  That experience is only a small part of it, but it is a part. 

s

« Reply #2772 on: August 22, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
Not sure if I have mentioned this before.  Awhile back, maybe a year or more, there was one employee that would go work out in the gym for the rest of his shift (a good 2 1/2 hrs) after our supervisor had left for the day.  There was hardly anyone in the office at that time but some senior employees noticed and promptly reported him. The sad thing is I think he had a legitimate problem in that he was obsessed with losing weight because we did notice him losing lots of weight quite rapidly.  I think there's a word for it, but I forget what it's called but it's akin to being anorexic or bulimic except that the person is just addicted to over exercise.

Two other long time employees with the company were fired for logging into each other's computers to clock each other in if one of them were running late. 

Another person was fired for being a terrible driver.  They had been reported by many employees for their terrible/dangerous driving in the parking lot.  Driving too fast, cutting other employees off, etc.  I think I only once witnessed this, I just saw the car quickly speeding away at speeds not appropriate for a parking lot.

Pippen

« Reply #2773 on: August 22, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »

Probably the same morons who took a group of pre schoolers for a walk on a motorway.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10384517

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2774 on: August 22, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
DH volunteers at the student radio station.  He was asked yesterday to substitute for a DJ who won't be DJing anymore.  She didn't show up for her time slot and didn't call anyone to say she wasn't coming in.  The radio station has an FCC license that prohibits dead air, so someone had to stay late and someone else came in unscheduled.

The radio station knows that students have full plates and busy schedules.  Their purpose is to introduce students into the wonderful world of broadcast radio and they are very good at it.  Learning to act like a professional is part of the training.  The station has many great, dedicated DJs and a couple flakey ones.  Par for the course even if you aren't working with stressed out students.  If you have to study for an exam or have a schedule conflict, let people know in advance and someone will sub for you.  If you get sick at the last minute, at least call the station to let the DJ on duty know.

Don't call? Don't come in?  Don't bother calling or coming in again. >:(

My DH is not a student, but a community member.  The radio station would go off the air between school sessions without the community members who all work for free. :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius