Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1252232 times)

Reika

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2775 on: August 22, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
I think I may have a possible candidate.

BG: I'm not a supervisor in my call center, but I'm on the escalation team.

Customer calls in and wants a supervisor to make a complaint about a rep. He gives me the details of about when he called and said that not only was she rude, but she was silent for quite awhile so he asked, "Are you still there?"

She says, "Yes, I just had you on mute."

Me as I'm listening to the gentlemen :o . And of course the rep didn't document the call so I didn't know who it was. Not that I told him that, just that I'd get it addressed. So I emailed one of our quality people to see if they could locate the call. She did locate it and said that she was forwarding it to the manager of the call center to address.

I thought maybe he exaggerated a bit because of how angry he was. But that she actually did it is horrifying and they make a big deal about when it's okay to use the mute button.

Minmom3

« Reply #2776 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:39 AM »
DH volunteers at the student radio station.  He was asked yesterday to substitute for a DJ who won't be DJing anymore.  She didn't show up for her time slot and didn't call anyone to say she wasn't coming in.  The radio station has an FCC license that prohibits dead air, so someone had to stay late and someone else came in unscheduled.

The radio station knows that students have full plates and busy schedules.  Their purpose is to introduce students into the wonderful world of broadcast radio and they are very good at it.  Learning to act like a professional is part of the training.  The station has many great, dedicated DJs and a couple flakey ones.  Par for the course even if you aren't working with stressed out students.  If you have to study for an exam or have a schedule conflict, let people know in advance and someone will sub for you.  If you get sick at the last minute, at least call the station to let the DJ on duty know.

Don't call? Don't come in?  Don't bother calling or coming in again. >:(

My DH is not a student, but a community member.  The radio station would go off the air between school sessions without the community members who all work for free. :-*

My FIL set up the radio station at San Jose State in California.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2777 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:58 AM »
The sad thing is I think he had a legitimate problem in that he was obsessed with losing weight because we did notice him losing lots of weight quite rapidly.  I think there's a word for it, but I forget what it's called but it's akin to being anorexic or bulimic except that the person is just addicted to over exercise.
Orthorexia I think.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

StarFaerie

« Reply #2778 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:47 AM »
The sad thing is I think he had a legitimate problem in that he was obsessed with losing weight because we did notice him losing lots of weight quite rapidly.  I think there's a word for it, but I forget what it's called but it's akin to being anorexic or bulimic except that the person is just addicted to over exercise.
Orthorexia I think.

Orthorexia is an obsession with healthy food.

Anorexia Athletica or Hypergymnasia is the exercise one.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #2779 on: August 23, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
Nope.  I think they were focused on ratings.  In fact, the video had been from a few weeks before but they'd held it until sweeps week.

We'd had plans to meet at their place and then go eat, and we showed up while they were still shell-shocked. 

I am very pro Stay-At-Home-Parent.  That experience is only a small part of it, but it is a part.
I know that some people have to work and can't stay home with their kids, and you do what you have to do, but every time I see a story like this about a daycare I am thankful that I'm able to stay home and not have that worry.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2780 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
A man decided to get out a video camera a film himself getting involved in a confrontation with a fast-food employee - who, though there is currently a controversy ongoing concerning the chain where she works, was simply doing her job. As soon as the video goes online, surprise, he got fired from his job as the CFO of a company.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/arizona-cfo-fired-berating-chik-fil-a-drive-through-employee-company-policy-gay-article-1.1128386

It just makes me shake my head that people can't think ahead and realize this is the kind of thing that would get them fired. CFO is a pretty high position in a company. You pretty much represent the company at all times when you're that high up in it.

I disagree *Vehemently* with Chik-Fil-A corporate stance.  But as an employee similar situation, I am utter disgusted with this creep. He went into a DT and ordered WATER and then berated the minimum wage slave at the window about her company  policy?  Like she has ANY input whatsoever?   He totally deserved whatever he got and then some.

Here's my POD!!!

I believe there should be a draft - NOT for armed services but for food service and retail.  I believe that if everyone had to work 6 months to a year in either, the world would be a much politer place.    People would see what it felt like to be underpaid, overworked, and abused for doing their jobs.  It just might cause them to develop a little empathy.

A friend of my bf's has said something like this, that everyone should be required to work 2 years in retail to see what it's really like.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #2781 on: August 23, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »
Nope.  I think they were focused on ratings.  In fact, the video had been from a few weeks before but they'd held it until sweeps week.

We'd had plans to meet at their place and then go eat, and we showed up while they were still shell-shocked. 

I am very pro Stay-At-Home-Parent.  That experience is only a small part of it, but it is a part.
I know that some people have to work and can't stay home with their kids, and you do what you have to do, but every time I see a story like this about a daycare I am thankful that I'm able to stay home and not have that worry.
And some people *choose* to work; even look forward to it. Imagine that. Most daycares are warm, loving places that encourage socialization and frankly, are a lot of fun for the kid. They are not solely for parents who have the misfortune of "having" to work.
Utah

Jones

« Reply #2782 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »

And some people *choose* to work; even look forward to it. Imagine that. Most daycares are warm, loving places that encourage socialization and frankly, are a lot of fun for the kid. They are not solely for parents who have the misfortune of "having" to work.

This can be a very explosive subject, let's all agree to disagree as necessary and move on before the thread gets locked, please.

NyaChan

« Reply #2783 on: August 23, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
Should be Professional Darwinism, but it looks like he's here to stay - apologies if I've already posted this...

Professor at my school was notorious for having relationships with the female students.  After he married and divorced 3 of them, rumor had it that the school instituted a rule that he could not shut his office door if he was meeting with a female student.  A friend went to a group meeting with a male student in his office, and the professor actually hesitated, looked at them both, and then turned to the male student saying, "Well, you're here too so I guess it'll be alright," before getting up to shut the door.  Rumor confirmed.  Same professor spent a good part of a class period showing FB pictures of a dog biting his (thankfully!) clothed crotch.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2784 on: August 24, 2012, 07:35:17 AM »
Here's my POD!!!

I believe there should be a draft - NOT for armed services but for food service and retail.  I believe that if everyone had to work 6 months to a year in either, the world would be a much politer place.    People would see what it felt like to be underpaid, overworked, and abused for doing their jobs.  It just might cause them to develop a little empathy.

A friend of my bf's has said something like this, that everyone should be required to work 2 years in retail to see what it's really like.

I've said basically the same thing, for years, except that I didn't specify the type of job.  Everyone should work at least one year in a typical low-wage job for at least a year after high school.  They would learn to appreciate those types of jobs and the people who work them so much more.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2785 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »
Here's my POD!!!

I've said basically the same thing, for years, except that I didn't specify the type of job.  Everyone should work at least one year in a typical low-wage job for at least a year after high school.  They would learn to appreciate those types of jobs and the people who work them so much more.

I temped through college and law school, so I was a receptionist, a file clerk, a secretary, etc. I think it made me a better attorney, because I can work so much more smoothly with the various support staff in order to get stuff done!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2786 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
Here's my POD!!!

I temped through college and law school, so I was a receptionist, a file clerk, a secretary, etc. I think it made me a better attorney, because I can work so much more smoothly with the various support staff in order to get stuff done!

And from someone who has been a legal admin and paralegal, I agree!  I've worked with attorneys who, because of their position, felt that making a copy or sending a fax (after hours when no one was there was quite beneath them). And wouldn't

I think part of it is many people go from college to law school, and get a job where they start out as "the boss" - even first year associates, with an admin and paralegal to assist them.  So they don't really know what its like to start in an entry level position.  Others of course, are just arrogant, as in any profession and refuse to do anything like that.  Some of my favorite attorneys are the one who temped through school, and another who told me that she figured out how to fax and copy, so when she was there late, and something had to be done, she could just do it herself.

I agree that everyone should have to work in retail or some other service-oriented position, dealing with the general public, just to see what its like for those of us on the front lines

onikenbai

« Reply #2787 on: August 24, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Today's PD by the boss:  W writes a ranty email complaining about S noting he is a 'toxic idiot' and the main reason why W recently left the company.  Boss fails to read the whole email and immediately forwards the email to S, along with copying several other people, including myself.  Cue the rest of us looking around wondering what boss was thinking.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
Stewart/Colbert '16

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2789 on: August 29, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
We chanced it and won - we hope.

Last year was hellish at school. The principal and AP were just plain ugly to everyone. We had made AYP but by an exception to the rules - literally by one AA boy passing. We were treated to rants than ran 1/2 an hour about how we were salaried exempt employees and he could make us work till midnight and fire us if we refused.  Several veteran teachers were told we were horrible teachers that need to get out the business. (I was told I work to hard - so were a couple of other employees.

A teacher at another school filed a complaint about Data Team meetings happening during her planning period. (Data Teams do a good deal of planning so I don't get it.) So they were being very ugly when we asked why they were moved after 3:30 (end of contract time). People were confused about why we can be docked pay for leaving before 3:30 but don't get extra pay for staying for Data Teams after 3:30. Especially because
1. We get paid for sponsoring various after school activities.
2. My first principal at this school was removed - for making people stay after 3:30 among other things.

(Honestly I think the legal issue was so tangled that they didn't understand either - rather than admitting it they snapped heads off)

Well at the end of the year this survey was sent out - electronically. Now bunch of us that are tech smart don't trust these to be truly anonymous. We were fed up and took a chance - gave them the lowest marks possible, and included specific examples. 

They told the team leaders they got negative feedback - no joke I don't know one teacher that admits giving them above a 2 on anything. There as been a vast improvement. I'm still documenting violations of the 1st adm.   (prayers at meetings, being told "some might not like this but I have testify about X. I moved out of the bible belt - why am I still having to put up with this. :-\  ). But they aren't snapping people's heads, if you ask a question. They are being much more pleasant. Also the higher ups have been on campus every couple of days - hopefully they are monitoring the situation and it will continue to do so.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future