Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1258709 times)

MissRose

Garden Goblin

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #2791 on: September 07, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »
We have a nice little ice cream parlor in town.  They open about the same time all the kids are getting home from school, and have various 'rushes' during their business day that tend to coordinate with the times kids are getting released from an activity - sports practice, scout meeting, etc...  They have a large outside patio and it's not uncommon to see the whole team there.

Professional Darwinist, junior, got fired for yelling at a group of the kids to go home and change out of their 'filthy, disgusting' uniforms before coming in for ice cream. 

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #2792 on: September 07, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
Local PD by me..... Oh myyyyyyyyyyy

http://www.wnem.com/story/19465000/4-police-officers-accused-of-stealing-items-during-raid-suspended

And me, as well.  And people say Flint's worse than Saginaw.  Stories like this make me wonder....

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2794 on: September 11, 2012, 12:33:49 AM »
Not entirely sure if this qualifies, because it's not leading to anything good, but I doubt the person responsible will get in anyway held accountable for the outcomes of their actions.

NewBoss is not endearing himself to the dept.

One team in department goes out to lunch and takes longer than expected (I think it turned into a two hour lunch, I'm not sure) and they worked inthe extra time at the end of the day to balance it out. The next day the team are sent threatening emails informing them that they need to provide a written explanation for their absence from the office and if it's not a valid reason they will be issued with a warning. I happened to get this email because even though I wasn't part of that team, I was seen to leave the office at the same time as them. I happened to have a halfday that particular day, so I didn't come back to the office but  I was still included in that warning email.

Fine, okay, our dept decides that next time anyone does a team lunch (to celebrate the completion of a major project), they're going to ask NewBoss for permission first. Team is paying for their own lunch, they just need to notify NewBoss that it's highly unlikely they will be able to get into and out of a restaurant in under an hour including drive time, so can they please work the extra hours in later. NewBoss replies with a four word sentence "I do not approve".

I get pulled in to work overtime on a Saturday morning. I do not get paid overtime for this, so I always have previously been allowed to take comp time (the matching number of hours) out of my weekday schedule to balance the hours out to what I'm paid to work. Come Monday morning, the team who worked the weekend to get the project in on time ask NewBoss if they can take the three hours out in comp time. NewBoss replies with "Giving people time off would send the wrong message". The only message we're getting right now is that going the extra mile to get things done will not get you rewarded, but it will get you punished.

We have been told (and I'm only slightly paraphrasing here) "morale is low so you all need to cheer up! Oh and work harder, because upper management all think youre incompetant at your jobs.".

Gosh, I wonder why we've lost nearly 30% of our dept staff to other companies in the last few months. So now we're having to do more work with less staff and repeatedly being told that upper management thinks our department are useless and can't deliver anything decent.

Unfortunately, management tend to protect each other and NewBoss is great at spinning thing to flatter himself, so I doubt he'll get in any way held responsible for the situation.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

greencat

« Reply #2795 on: September 11, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »
I'd suggest going to HR and informing them of the morale damage this NewBoss is causing - point out the sudden high turnover in your department and, if some of those personnel had key skills, point out that the loss of those personnel has made productivity in the department drop.  Point out the sudden change in policy regarding lunches and overtime and that you were threatened with a written warning for leaving at your scheduled time.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2796 on: September 11, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
I haven't gone into the full extent of NewBoss's demoralizing actions but we've already learnt twice that HR won't help us. We appealed to HR about the comp time and nothing came of it. NewBoss has also already managed to give someone a final written warning (for completely bogus reasons, despite the complete lack of evidence for the accusation or any previous problems with a stellar dedicated knowledgable employee) that contravenes all of HR's policies and HR still won't step in to assist the person.

Like I said, Management protects its own. Anyone who does go to HR about this will probably get targetted and since HR won't stand up for their own employees, noone is willing to risk it. It's simpler to move to another company and let this company just run itself into the ground. Anyone who does try and change things will get just get penalised, not rewarded, and the company has done nothing to earn loyalty from this dept.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:23:30 AM by WolfWench »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2797 on: September 11, 2012, 02:48:01 AM »
RUN FORREST RUN!!!!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Jones

« Reply #2798 on: September 11, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »
This sounds a lot like my previous job--not just one manager though. After we were bought out, HR ended up having high turnover because no one was listening to them and they didn't want to be accountable for the decisions being made. I could tell horror stories about the company that bought us out; I am surprised the division they purchased are still in business, as all the qualified personnel from the existing business (from HR to Safety, Management to Accounting and even the secretaries) were running like rats at the same time I did.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #2799 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
WolfWench, I'd almost suspect you work with one of the former managers here! One holiday, all the departments were invited to a (mandatory) off-campus event that was supposed to promote teambuilding and workplace appreciation. It started around lunch and was supposed to run all afternoon, and then the managers were supposed to let everyone leave about an hour before regular quitting time. Hooray, right?

Near the end of the afternoon festivities, we realized that all the employees from one department were gone. Turns out that their manager had told them that they would NOT be comped this time, and would have to make it up, so one by one they had snuck out of the fun-having to go back to work to make up their time. Not cool.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2800 on: September 11, 2012, 12:02:26 PM »
We have been told (and I'm only slightly paraphrasing here) "morale is low so you all need to cheer up! Oh and work harder, because upper management all think youre incompetant at your jobs.".

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #2801 on: September 11, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
I was thinking just the same, Art.

Someone swiped my sign bearing that pronouncement a while ago.   :o

Kariachi

« Reply #2802 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »
I'm not really knowledgeable in this sorta stuff, so maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking somebody in trouble here.

My mom's company builds widgets. Basically, you order a widget, they build the widgets, they ship the widgets, in that order. This format has served the company well for a good long time. It works. Everything was going well. They were headed for a nice yearly profit.

About three months ago the company hired a new High-Muckity-Muck, who decided to change how they do things. Essentially, instead of waiting for Company A to order Widget A, then building it and sending it to them, now they're building Widget A in the hopes that Company A will order them because they did last year. So now, they're rebuilding all of last year's orders in the hopes of having them repeated this year.

Well, yesterday an e-mail went out from the Highest-Muckity-Muck to all the workers. Apparently, since the change, the company has lost over half a million dollars. In three months.

Once again, can't say I'm an expert. Maybe that's the real way you run the widget industry. Maybe it's not his fault. But...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

Carotte

« Reply #2803 on: September 11, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
High-Muckity might have been going for a tight flux production, hoping to only have Widgets stay the bare minimum in storage but the way they did it sounds stupid, especially if widget A can only go to Company A and if new Company X can't even profit from them...

Cleargleam

« Reply #2804 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:03 PM »
High-Muckity might have been going for a tight flux production, hoping to only have Widgets stay the bare minimum in storage but the way they did it sounds stupid, especially if widget A can only go to Company A and if new Company X can't even profit from them...

Now I have a picture in my head of High Muckity Muck doing some sort of sales pitch. "Widgets! We have your Widgets! Won't you order some widgets - ready for immediate delivery."

Meanwhile, Company A rep is looking at the pitch, murmuring to his boss, "How do we tell him we changed the specs and need half as many widgets, but need them *blue* instead of *green*?? And that we need a prong coming out of one face?"