A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (603/1293) > >>

faithlessone:
Getting back on topic, I think one of my co-workers is heading for a bit of Professional Darwinism!

She works as a waitress Thursday lunchtime, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings. The evenings don't seem to be a problem for her, but every single Thursday for the past month, she's had some excuse why she couldn't come in. Car trouble, a sick dog, the flu, and a burst pipe in her house. Strangely, none of these things have been an issue the following evening.

She hasn't been reprimanded really yet, because the boss is a bit of a softie and he likes her, but I can't see it going on much longer without something happening.

However, on a lighter note, it has led to a lot of us musing on what she's doing with those extra four hours!

Mental Magpie:

--- Quote from: faithlessone on November 16, 2012, 04:08:19 AM ---Getting back on topic, I think one of my co-workers is heading for a bit of Professional Darwinism!

She works as a waitress Thursday lunchtime, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings. The evenings don't seem to be a problem for her, but every single Thursday for the past month, she's had some excuse why she couldn't come in. Car trouble, a sick dog, the flu, and a burst pipe in her house. Strangely, none of these things have been an issue the following evening.

She hasn't been reprimanded really yet, because the boss is a bit of a softie and he likes her, but I can't see it going on much longer without something happening.

However, on a lighter note, it has led to a lot of us musing on what she's doing with those extra four hours!

--- End quote ---

My guess is she's sleeping.  If she's used to working evenings, she may stay up late when she gets home, then sleeps later the next day.  Getting up for a lunchtime shift may be difficult, so she's calling off to sleep.

faithlessone:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on November 16, 2012, 07:36:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: faithlessone on November 16, 2012, 04:08:19 AM ---Getting back on topic, I think one of my co-workers is heading for a bit of Professional Darwinism!

--- End quote ---

My guess is she's sleeping.  If she's used to working evenings, she may stay up late when she gets home, then sleeps later the next day.  Getting up for a lunchtime shift may be difficult, so she's calling off to sleep.

--- End quote ---

This has only been an issue for the last month though. She's been working there (with those shifts) for almost a year!

BabyMama:

--- End quote ---

I had a coworker like that (I'm sure I posted about her hundreds of pages back, lol.) Her excuses started out normal and then just got more and more outrageous. "I can't come in today, my husband put racing tires on our car and it's supposed to snow and they don't have traction." (On your Subaru??) "I rescued a squirrel that was hit by a car and I'm at the vet now so I won't be in this afternoon." "My house is tilted so workers are coming today to un-tilt my house." Yeah, those were all actual excuses. My other coworkers had a game where we'd try to figure out what crazy excuse she'd come up with next.

wheeitsme:

--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on November 16, 2012, 07:36:51 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

My guess is that she doesn't feel she makes enough to come in.  Thursday lunch tips aren't anywhere near Friday/Saturday/Sunday night tips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version