A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (603/2329) > >>

doodlemor:

--- Quote from: faithlessone on November 16, 2012, 03:08:19 AM ---Getting back on topic, I think one of my co-workers is heading for a bit of Professional Darwinism!

She works as a waitress Thursday lunchtime, and Friday/Saturday/Sunday evenings. The evenings don't seem to be a problem for her, but every single Thursday for the past month, she's had some excuse why she couldn't come in. Car trouble, a sick dog, the flu, and a burst pipe in her house. Strangely, none of these things have been an issue the following evening.

She hasn't been reprimanded really yet, because the boss is a bit of a softie and he likes her, but I can't see it going on much longer without something happening.

However, on a lighter note, it has led to a lot of us musing on what she's doing with those extra four hours!

--- End quote ---

Maybe she's living with someone who has Thursdays off, or if she has children maybe her sitter can't work on Thursdays.

Why don't you think up a reason why you need to call her on a Thursday, and see how long before she answers, and what sort of background noises you hear?  Guess I'm a natural born snoop!

Just read LazyDaisy's post - I bet that is what has happened.

Outdoor Girl:
What I don't get is why she hasn't gone to management and said, 'Here's the deal.  I got a second job to make ends meet and I have to work there on Thursdays.  (Or:  my new boyfriend has asked me to watch his children during the day, including Thursdays.  Or whatever the reason Thursdays no longer work).  Is there any way we can adjust the schedule so I'm not working Thursday lunch hour?  I can work [these times], instead.

To just not show up and/or call in with increasingly implausible explanations is just dumb.  (And hence, PD.)

LazyDaisy:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on November 16, 2012, 11:00:05 AM ---What I don't get is why she hasn't gone to management and said, 'Here's the deal.  I got a second job to make ends meet and I have to work there on Thursdays.  (Or:  my new boyfriend has asked me to watch his children during the day, including Thursdays.  Or whatever the reason Thursdays no longer work).  Is there any way we can adjust the schedule so I'm not working Thursday lunch hour?  I can work [these times], instead.

To just not show up and/or call in with increasingly implausible explanations is just dumb.  (And hence, PD.)

--- End quote ---

I agree, that would be the reasonable thing to do. I don't know the employers policy regarding second jobs but I've had bosses that state right at hire that they will not allow an employee's second job to interfere with scheduling -- it's grounds for termination. Faithlessone's coworker may be stalling for time -- calling out repeatedly hasn't gotten her terminated (so far) but clueing her boss in that she has another job that she's giving preference to might.

Shalamar:
Back when I was a contractor, I had a co-worker who worked pretty much whatever hours he felt like working.  In fairness, he was working a full eight-hour day - but if he decided to come in at 11:00 a.m. and work until 7:00 p.m., he figured that was fine.   The client didn't agree, and that was bad enough - but when he decided to bring his Xbox into the office and start playing a game at 2:00 p.m. (because, for him, THAT was lunchtime), they really objected.

Then his extra-curricular activities began.  Despite being newly married with a baby on the way, he because obsessed with a Gentlemen's Club that was close to the office, and he often went there after work.  Fine, except that he was always yelling around the office to see who wanted to join him, saying (very loudly) that he NEEEEEEEDED A LAAAAP DAAAAANCE!

He was laid off a few months later.

mbbored:
The mail topic on the Exchanges that Make Your Brain Hurt thread reminded me of something that I witnessed.

A few years ago, I had a problem where the mail would only be delivered or picked up a few days a week. Then I started getting a bunch of misdelivered mail, addressed to a bunch of different houses in my neighborhood and included magazines, bills and personal mail. I would put return to sender or forward to, but within a few weeks, that stopped being picked up. Finally, one day I marched into the post office demanding to see the highest ranking supervisor there. I explained everything then handed him 2 tote bags full of misdirected mail. He was appropriately horrified and called me back that afternoon to explain that the mailman for my neighborhood was spending most of his days playing hooky then rushing to deliver the mail every once in a while. Eventually he gave up on properly delivering the mail and wouldn't pick up the misdelivered stuff so nobody could figure out he wasn't doing his job. Not surprisingly the mailman got fired. The nice thing was that the supervisor periodically called me for the next few months to make sure that the new mail-person was working out.

The craziest thing to me is the fact that I'm the only one who apparently complained.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version