Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1292738 times)

mumma to KMC

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3045 on: November 23, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
This is from a few years back but the best example of Professional Darwinism I've ever seen:

b/g: I used to work for a residential home for at risk children. We were broken up into different groups, by houses and each house, theoretically had three employees working as a team. To be offered employment with this group, you had to have certain qualifications (college degree for example), you had to pass an intense interview process and background screening, as well as attend a month's worth of training before being in the house. The people working on campus were relatively intelligent and generally had common sense and a great ability to think quickly on their feet. end b/g.

One woman on our campus started working in a house, after working as a supervisor for many years. (Essentially a demotion, but something she wanted to do.) As she was a supervisor, she should have known when paperwork was due, how to file it, and how to fill it out, as well as knowing the safety protocols on campus (such as off campus outings, transportation, and so on).

In her time as a house parent, she:

1: Drove over the lawn in a company van, because she didn't want to take the extra 20 seconds it took on the road. (With youth in the van.)

2. Left a pan of water of water on the stove, then left the house for 8 hours. When she returned home, she saw her error, picked up the pan, to take to the sink. but the bottom fell out of the pan and scorched the floor. (requiring a replacement of the whole kitchen floor.)

3. While picking up one of the youths at an off campus activity, when the youth reached for the door handle (on the van) she started to drive away. She did this multiple times.

4. When it came time to turn in paperwork, (like monthly progress reports) she'd be WEEKS late. This was time sensitive paperwork and she'd hold up essentially the whole process of releasing the paperwork by not turning it in.

Because all of the things she did involved witnesses, she received a "corrective action" each time she did something wrong. I don't recall what she did to finally be let go, but it wasn't pretty, as she didn't understand what she did wrong.

War_Doc

By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3047 on: November 24, 2012, 10:54:08 AM »
PD at its finest:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22/nonprofit-worker-fired-after-photo-scandal-at-arlington-national-cemetery/

I just don't get how people can be so disrespectful of those that gave their lives and surviving family members. I can't wrap my brain around it. I remember going to Arlington as a child. My parents sat Sis and I  down and explained why the area was sacred and how we were expected to behave. It was spring and I had an allergy/asthma cough. Mom made sure that I had cough drops in my pocket and that I had one in my mouth before we went to watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, so I wouldn't disrupt the ceremony by having a coughing fit.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BarensMom

« Reply #3048 on: November 24, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »
PD at its finest:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/22/nonprofit-worker-fired-after-photo-scandal-at-arlington-national-cemetery/

The non-profit helps those with physical and mental disabilities, including disabled veterans.   How could this woman think there'd be no consequences?

Elisabunny

« Reply #3049 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »
PD at its finest:

I just don't get how people can be so disrespectful of those that gave their lives and surviving family members. I can't wrap my brain around it. I remember going to Arlington as a child. My parents sat Sis and I  down and explained why the area was sacred and how we were expected to behave. It was spring and I had an allergy/asthma cough. Mom made sure that I had cough drops in my pocket and that I had one in my mouth before we went to watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, so I wouldn't disrupt the ceremony by having a coughing fit.

An earlier article gave me the idea that the whole family has an attitude that it's funny to break posted rules.  The whole, "Nobody's going to tell me what to do" mentality.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Iris

« Reply #3050 on: November 24, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »

An earlier article gave me the idea that the whole family has an attitude that it's funny to break posted rules.  The whole, "Nobody's going to tell me what to do" mentality.

Well, in fairness I could see myself pretending to break posted rules for a funny photo so I don't think that's an *inherently* evil act. It's important to understand what's an appropriate target to aim at though...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3051 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »

Well, in fairness I could see myself pretending to break posted rules for a funny photo so I don't think that's an *inherently* evil act. It's important to understand what's an appropriate target to aim at though...

You have to know where to draw the line, too. Pretending to yell at a sign is funny. The finger is actual disrespect, not pretense. :(
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Iris

« Reply #3052 on: November 24, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »

You have to know where to draw the line, too. Pretending to yell at a sign is funny. The finger is actual disrespect, not pretense. :(

True, and in all honesty I wouldn't have done the 'fake yelling' at Arlington either, and I'm not even from the US. Some things are fair game to make light of and others ... just aren't.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Nora

« Reply #3053 on: November 24, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
Not from the US either, and though I do have a macabre sense of humor I simply don't know what was going through her head having that photo taken. I do know that if she had tried that over here at the massacre sites she would probably have been lynched and quartered by the calmest people on earth. A sense of humor only goes so far.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

PeterM

« Reply #3054 on: November 24, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »

My thoughts exactly. When I first saw the story on  TV I thought she was just pretending to yell, which was dumb but not bad enough to get fired for. Then the newscaster pointed out that they'd blurred her finger and I thought, "Oh, like hell. Fire her."

I do think she was in the same mental space as the many folks who post "I do what I want" pictures, with them disobeying various signs. The vast majority of those are stupid at best, but at least vaguely funny and perfectly harmless. There are rules, though. Swigging a soda next to a "No Food Or Drinks" sign is not the same thing as flipping off the Tomb of the Unknowns, for God's sake.

Hillia

« Reply #3055 on: November 24, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
What stands out to me is she had to go out of her way to do this. You don't just stumble upon the Tomb of the Unknowns, you have to ride the bus through Arlington for some distance, then walk through gardens and a ampitheatre type building to get there.  She really put in a lot of effort to spit in the faces of heroes.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LEMon

« Reply #3056 on: November 24, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
And she was on a company trip and the photo was taken by a fellow worker.  This is one time, in my opinion, the company was very justified in firing the workers since it very much reflected on the the company; their funded trip, and their company focus of working with vetrans.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #3057 on: November 24, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »
PD at its finest:

Fired is certainly appropriate. The death threats she's been receiving since this picture went viral are OTT, though.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3058 on: November 24, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »
PD at its finest:

Fired is certainly appropriate. The death threats she's been receiving since this picture went viral are OTT, though.
death threats are always OTT
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3059 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
And she was on a company trip and the photo was taken by a fellow worker.  This is one time, in my opinion, the company was very justified in firing the workers since it very much reflected on the the company; their funded trip, and their company focus of working with vetrans.

I agree. I am one of those "my personal life has nothing to do with my professional life" kind of people, but she was on a work funded trip.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.