A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (615/2257) > >>

Twik:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on November 25, 2012, 10:34:06 PM ---I think there's a difference between disrespect for the authorities, though, and disrespect for the dead / for veterans.  I suspect she intended to just disrespect authority (i.e. whoever put in that sign and is trying to dictate that everyone must be respectful) and it didn't even occur to her that someone might interpret her actions as disrespectful to the deceased, the armed forces, or anyone else.  I can especially see that if she was going there with a mindset of the middle ground - not thinking soldiers are particularly worthy of extra respect but not thinking their careers make them worthy of extra disrespect either.  Some people see serving in the armed forces as a special thing and some people see it as a career choice just like being a doctor or a plumber.

--- End quote ---

Even if this had been a memorial to dead telephone sanitizers, it is a memorial to the dead. Most people believe that that, in itself, requires a reverent attitude, out of respect to our shared humanity.

afbluebelle:

--- Quote from: Winterlight on November 27, 2012, 11:02:08 AM ---*Wild applause for PeterM*

--- Quote from: BB-VA on November 24, 2012, 08:27:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: VorFemme on November 24, 2012, 08:20:19 PM ---If the photo had STAYED in the camer of her or her friend - it would be one thing.

But it got posted to the internet.....and now it's public that "nobody can tell ME what to do (or not do)" and she's learned that there is a price to be paid for doing some things in some places and breaking the rules very, very publically.

That she doesn't think ahead about consequences is a direct cause of the effect that she ignored the rules, had the photo taken, and then posted very publically on the world wide web.

No Vulcan or Betan training on logic in her educational background.

--- End quote ---

If she had been on her own, and not on a business trip paid for by her employer, I might have said she didn't deserve to be fired.  But considering that not only did the employer pay for the trip, but they are in the business of helping the disabled to boot, well...She and her friend definitely became liabilities.

Wonder when the lawsuit for wrongful dismissal will be filed?

--- End quote ---

It could be argued either way if she was on her own time- she might still be seen as representing her company. However, since this was a work event, she really PD'd herself. Good luck getting another job in her field.

--- End quote ---

In that field? Good luck getting a job where the hiring people did a Google search... What company wants to be known as the guys that hired the "Arlington Bird" Chick?

blueyzca01:
Letís just state this up front:  itís disgusting, she was fired for it, hopefully sheíll learn.

But, (a very little but), isnít this what these people fought for?  The right to express yourself as you want?  The right to be able to say something against the government or the countryís leaders or whoever youíre upset with without fear of being jailed and/or killed for it? 

She didnít yell ďFire!Ē in a movie theater,  she didnít endanger the safety or rights of others.  She did something incredibly disrespectful and sickeningÖbut, isnít the right to say it why these people fought?  Yes, you can argue that they didnít anticipate someone acknowledging their sacrifice so rudely.  But they did make the sacrifice because they wanted and needed to protect their country and the people in it.  If we're going to say we believe in Freedom of Speech, shouldn't we show it?

E.g., I cannot stand Howard Stern.  I think heís a despicable human being and cannot believe that people enjoy his show.  With that, I totally support his right to have the show and say what he wants.  I just change the station. 

Elfmama:
Certainly.  She has a right to make a pariah of herself in the name of "free speech."  No one stopped her; she has not been arrested or imprisoned. No governmental entity has said "You can't say that."

And her prospective employers also have the right to free speech.  That speech is "No job for you!"

afbluebelle:

--- Quote from: blueyzca01 on November 27, 2012, 06:09:35 PM ---Letís just state this up front:  itís disgusting, she was fired for it, hopefully sheíll learn.

But, (a very little but), isnít this what these people fought for?  The right to express yourself as you want?  The right to be able to say something against the government or the countryís leaders or whoever youíre upset with without fear of being jailed and/or killed for it? 

She didnít yell ďFire!Ē in a movie theater,  she didnít endanger the safety or rights of others.  She did something incredibly disrespectful and sickeningÖbut, isnít the right to say it why these people fought?  Yes, you can argue that they didnít anticipate someone acknowledging their sacrifice so rudely.  But they did make the sacrifice because they wanted and needed to protect their country and the people in it.  If we're going to say we believe in Freedom of Speech, shouldn't we show it?

E.g., I cannot stand Howard Stern.  I think heís a despicable human being and cannot believe that people enjoy his show.  With that, I totally support his right to have the show and say what he wants.  I just change the station.

--- End quote ---

I agree with your thoughts on free speech. I also agree that I have the right to disagree about what the lady said. There is nothing that guarantees Consequence Free Speech  ;)

Completely OT - 2008 we had a bunch of political protestors outside of the base I was stationed at. I was doing a lunch run and made it a point to wave hello and thank them for exercising their right to assemble peacefully. They were actually pretty cool! Plus, anyone willing to brave a Tampa summer in a full body foam costume and face mask has major props from me :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version