Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1247948 times)

nuit93

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3120 on: December 05, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
One of my friends occasionally will call in because he'd rather play Scrabble all day with his wife.

And yes, that's what he tells his boss.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #3121 on: December 05, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
Docking this as possible PD: Nurse at King Edward VII's hospital gives out information to a radio show about Duchess of Cambridge's medical details, thinking she was talking to the Queen.  It was a prank call but I'm not sure why nobody could figure that out - that must be one really good impression.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/05/kate-middleton-pregnant-hospital-nurse-radio_n_2243362.html

Rumour has it that the show is already on probation for other pranks. I don't think it will take long for the axe to fall.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if that was illegal (impersonating a member of the royal family in order to get information that they would not otherwise legally be able to obtain).

I agree MrTango.  Also, I feel really bad for the nurse and I hope that nothing happens to her.  I do hope that the radio station gets kicked.
Admittedly, as someone who works in the business office of a hospital, my first thought was "I wonder what the British version of HIPAA is like?"   (I know HIPAA is a US-only law, but I'm sure most countries have some sort of law regulating who can legally be given what private medical info.)

pwy a wyr

« Reply #3122 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
Actually, ours is probably a little stricter, if anything, because over here, noone but the patient ever has a right to information or decision making without a legal document. No information is ever meant to be given out over the phone because you can't see who you're talking to. Furthermore, did the nurse actually think the Queen conducts her own phone enquiries? As a nurse, I think this is PD on the nurse's part too, and rightly so. A major part of her job working in a private hospital that the royals use, is protection of their privacy and confidentiality. She failed miserably in a way an NHS nurse knows better than to do. We have rules in place for these situations. She didn't follow them.

BB-VA

« Reply #3123 on: December 05, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »
Actually, ours is probably a little stricter, if anything, because over here, noone but the patient ever has a right to information or decision making without a legal document. No information is ever meant to be given out over the phone because you can't see who you're talking to. Furthermore, did the nurse actually think the Queen conducts her own phone enquiries? As a nurse, I think this is PD on the nurse's part too, and rightly so. A major part of her job working in a private hospital that the royals use, is protection of their privacy and confidentiality. She failed miserably in a way an NHS nurse knows better than to do. We have rules in place for these situations. She didn't follow them.

Maybe she was just so overwhelmed at actually.talking.to.the.QUEEN (well, she THOUGHT she was)  that she just lost all judgment.   Besides, who is going to say no to the Queen?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #3124 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:36 PM »
I called in sleepy once.
I accidentally took my morning medication dose in the evening.

As a one time thing it wasn't hazardous, but it did make me unable to wake up enough to function.
I called in and explained I'd taken the wrong meds and needed to sleep it off.
They were much more concerned than upset.

But I definitely wouldn't want to make a habit of it!!

{edited for tablet related spelling}
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:05:16 PM by White Dragon »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3125 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
I called in dleepy once.
I accidentally took my morning medication dose in the evening.

As a one time thing it wasn't hazardous, but it did make me unable to wake up enough to function.
I called in and explained I'd taken the wrong meds and needed to sleep it off.
They were much more concerned than upset.

But I definitely wouldn't want to make a habit of it!!

I think "I took the wrong meds" is definitely a reason to call in!!! ???

(and I'm glad it wasn't hazardous!)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3126 on: December 06, 2012, 12:44:33 AM »
Mom heard about this situation this morning on the news and I figured it was perfect for this thread.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Man-accused-of-booting-ambulance-arrested-182254361.html

I love the bit where he's been in the country for at least ten months, but according to his co-worker he doesn't know what an ambulance looks like...

No kidding. I did a lot of eyerolling at that part. :)

Even if he doesn't know exactly what kind of vehicle it is, it had flashing emergency lights on the top of it! Why would he think it is an ordinary car owned by a customer??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3127 on: December 06, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »

Yes, I once had to make quite a fuss before a hospital would even admit my mother was in there (I was 15 and I knew was, and probably a bit of a petulant teen at that moment!) let alone let me talk to her.  They wouldn't tell me her condition - they asked a bunch of questions to check who I was, checked with my mother and then passed her the phone.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3128 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:18 AM »
I once called in to go shopping.  Yep, you read that correctly.  Shopping.  There was a SPECTACULAR sale going on at this mall about 45 minutes from where I live and I really wanted to go.

My boss was pretty awesome about it though.  She thought it was the most interesting reason she was ever given and besides she had way over schedule payroll hours that day. Granted, she did ask me to pick her up a pair of specific, hard to find, shoes if I came across them.

She was probably glad you were honest with her, too.

Dark Sister skipped a day in high school to go hunting with Dark Father.  When she showed up and told them why, they gave her detention.  That's what telling the truth gets you, I guess.

No, that's what truancy gets you.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3129 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »
I once called in to go shopping.  Yep, you read that correctly.  Shopping.  There was a SPECTACULAR sale going on at this mall about 45 minutes from where I live and I really wanted to go.

My boss was pretty awesome about it though.  She thought it was the most interesting reason she was ever given and besides she had way over schedule payroll hours that day. Granted, she did ask me to pick her up a pair of specific, hard to find, shoes if I came across them.

Dark Sister skipped a day in high school to go hunting with Dark Father.  When she showed up and told them why, they gave her detention.  That's what telling the truth gets you, I guess.

Is it truancy if you're with a parent?

weeblewobble

« Reply #3130 on: December 06, 2012, 07:07:19 AM »

Is it truancy if you're with a parent?

Yep.  There are plenty of families around here who regularly get pulled into the court system for persistent truancy.  In a lot of cases, the parents are home with the kids all day, but they say they can't make their kids go to school, so the kids don't go.  A particular problem is parents who "can't" make their kids go to school, and they're tried of getting in trouble with the truancy officers, so they withdraw the kids from public school and declare themselves a "home school." (It's a pretty easy process here.)  In our state, home schools are regularly reviewed/visited by local reps from a state board.  The "can't make their kids go to school" families have no curriculum or lesson plan or anything, in a lot of  cases, the kids are found to be playing video games all day. It's a double whammy because the kids aren't getting an education and it makes life that much harder for the people who are running legitimate home schools and working hard to make sure their kids are getting an education. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:09:02 AM by weeblewobble »

squeakers

« Reply #3131 on: December 06, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »

Dark Father should have called her in sick/ taking a personal day/going on a family vacation or whatever pre-excused type of days the school offered. 

My school district has the first day of hunting season as a day off because so many of the kids do go hunting with their families.  But even if they didn't have it off I could pre-excuse my kids by sending in a note a few days ahead of time (so they can get their homework assignments from their teachers for the missing day).  Or call them in sick at any time during the day .. though if I haven't called them in by 9 AM the school calls.  Had that happen once when we were all sick and I forgot to get up and call them in.  Also had the bus driver call and check on us because it was winter time* and he was concerned because I hadn't called my sister to let her know he (the bus driver) didn't have to pick the kids up.  Her kids are the pick-up before mine.

*Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to using a fireplace was what had him worried.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Shalamar

« Reply #3132 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
My husband once Called In Superman.  In other words, he took time off to go buy the "Death of Superman" comic, since he knew it would be a hot item, and he loves Superman.

Even though he was using his banked overtime for this, he got a lot of "Geez, what a nerve" attitude from co-workers - including one lady who regularly "called in sick" on Monday mornings when she was too hungover to work.   ::)

Amava

« Reply #3133 on: December 06, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
My husband once Called In Superman.  In other words, he took time off to go buy the "Death of Superman" comic, since he knew it would be a hot item, and he loves Superman.

Even though he was using his banked overtime for this, he got a lot of "Geez, what a nerve" attitude from co-workers - including one lady who regularly "called in sick" on Monday mornings when she was too hungover to work.   ::)

Did that "fly"? lol Sorry couldn't resist.  ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3134 on: December 06, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
I occasionally call in for 'snow days'.  Meaning it snowed last night and the hills are going to be fantastic so I'm going skiing.

How it works, though, is I call my boss at home at 7:00 am, let him know and then ask, 'Pick you up at 7:30?'   ;D

We are fortunate that our work is flexible enough that we can do this and we don't use sick time for this, we use vacation time.  And quite often, we've skiied our buns off by 11:30 and then come in to work for the afternoon.  We do try to schedule a day or two in advance but sometimes you just get that surprise dumping that you just can't resist.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario