Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1284599 times)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3300 on: January 20, 2013, 01:47:40 AM »
I did catch a Wal of Mart employee shouting a certain, Scrabble act to a co-worker while we were in there today and making a joke about it.  It was loud enough I heard it from a good ten or so feet away.

I tried to get his name, but the nametag wasn't to be found.  However, I don't expect him to last long, either.

[[I figured he was a worker.  He was dressed in the uniform, and was talking to another employee.  I think I saw his nametag hanging from the hem of his shirt, but couldn't get it, it was flipped over, or else I would've reported it myself.  I mean, kid friendly Wal of Mart, and you don't refer to the act, out loud, by name. :o]]

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3301 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:35 AM »
Update on Mr 16 Years:

He was pulled into a meeting with Boss and Project Manager yesterday. Apparently project manager told Mr 16 Years to "grow up", and learn to accept that when people in the team pointed out faults in his solution design it wasn't because we were being mean, it was because everyone in the deptartment was providing constructive feedback to get the best possible solution put into production.

Mr 16 Years is now talking to Senior Analyst again, with a rather horribly sweet nicey-nicey overtone that skirts the border of sarcastic, but at least he's talking to her again.

I greeted Mr 16 Years this morning with a cheery "Good morning" and was rewarded with a sullen "morning" accompanied by a face that looked like he was sucking lemons just having to be in the same room as me.

I continue to find the whole thing hilariously highschool in tone.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #3302 on: January 23, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
Please promise us, WolfWay, that you will continue to drive him crazy simply through cheeriness. I have to say, it passes the polite test but, well, it's also kind of fun to know it bugs him.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3303 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
After I screwed something up at work, a co-worker gave me the silent treatment for about six weeks. I did a cheery "Morning, [hisname]!" every day, just to listen to him grunt back.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Reader

« Reply #3304 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
I work for a janitorial contractor.  At my office in our lobby is 2 cubicles to fill out applications.  Had an applicant come in this morning to fill out an application, with her small son under 5 with her.  Now normally we don't mind if you bring your kids in (some are just so cute and polite, plus well behaved), as long as you are keeping an eye on them, which this woman did not do.  Not only was I subjected to the kid's high pitched squeal, multiple times, (the lobby is less than 4 steps from my office), but then I heard a banging sound (did not find out what he did to cause it).  So I stopped the work I was working on to go check at this point, only to find he had grabbed two applications and scribbled on them rendering then useless and was playing with the pens we have to there for applicants.  What's mom doing?  Just filling out her application, and barely looks in my direction when I have to tell her kid no because he was about to start writing on the desk  :o.  I had to move the pens out of his reach.  She finishes and hands me the application and I watch her walk out to a running car that has someone sitting in the driver's seat.  Leaving me to wonder why the child could not have been left in the car.  Since I am the first point of contact for most applicants, my thoughts and recommendations weigh in on the possibility of them getting hired.  Having me have to stop destruction of our property, and getting a headache from the squealing, does not make me want to recommend the applicant for employment at this point.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #3305 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »
...and why do I think she might think that she could bring her child to work with her? After all, nobody will be there at night!  ::)

RooRoo, former late night trash emptier, vacuum shover, and mop-slinger
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #3306 on: January 26, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
My husband stopped at the grocery store last night and thoughtfully picked me up some flowers.

The employee asked him, "Gettin' lucky tonight?"

Whaaaaa. I can only hope next time his boss hears... :o

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3307 on: January 26, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
I think one of my newer team members is following the PD path.  She was out yesterday (scheduled day off) and we had to take care of two of her tasks that were due.  When working on those tasks, it was discovered that she had received some mail pertaining to one of the tasks 10 days ago, but hadn't done anything with it, and hadn't sent out some mail pertaining to the other task.  Both tasks had to be delayed, which could possibly cause some compliance issues down the road.  Apparently her list of tasks is backlogged by about two weeks, as well.  Our business protocol is that we follow up on mail within 3 business days, send mail two days prior to it being due, and keep our tasks backlogged by no more than 2 days.  Oh, and she's still on probation, having just finished her training in November.

I don't think she's going to have a very happy Monday, since our supervisor was the one who discovered most of the problems!

wheeitsme

« Reply #3308 on: January 26, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
My husband stopped at the grocery store last night and thoughtfully picked me up some flowers.

The employee asked him, "Gettin' lucky tonight?"

Whaaaaa. I can only hope next time his boss hears... :o

"Got lucky when she said yes..."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #3309 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
I'm seeing two classmates approach a type of PD.

This semester I'm TA-ing for a course that's required for my PhD program and is being taught by the department chair. All 10 students are first years enrolled in this PhD program.

After being explicitly told that they needed to work on assignments independently, two women, both international students from the same country, handed in identical assignments. I gave the papers to the professor so he could look over them himself and speak to the students involved. He decided to grant them partial credit, in hopes they misunderstood the directions since they aren't native English speakers. He gave me their papers back at the beginning of today's class so I could record their grades and hand everybody's papers back. Before I could do so I turned to answer a question from another student. When I went back to enter their grades, their papers were gone.

I asked them for their papers back and they said they didn't have them. The professor overheard us and said they would be receiving a 0 since I had no grade to record and what do you know, they produced their papers. However, those papers had obviously had sections crossed out and rewritten and their grades visibly changed. The professor told me to go ahead and trash them and enter the 0.

LEMon

« Reply #3310 on: January 29, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

This semester I'm TA-ing for a course that's required for my PhD program and is being taught by the department chair. All 10 students are first years enrolled in this PhD program.

After being explicitly told that they needed to work on assignments independently, two women, both international students from the same country, handed in identical assignments. I gave the papers to the professor so he could look over them himself and speak to the students involved. He decided to grant them partial credit, in hopes they misunderstood the directions since they aren't native English speakers. He gave me their papers back at the beginning of today's class so I could record their grades and hand everybody's papers back. Before I could do so I turned to answer a question from another student. When I went back to enter their grades, their papers were gone.

I asked them for their papers back and they said they didn't have them. The professor overheard us and said they would be receiving a 0 since I had no grade to record and what do you know, they produced their papers. However, those papers had obviously had sections crossed out and rewritten and their grades visibly changed. The professor told me to go ahead and trash them and enter the 0.
I hope you kept them so you had proof of what they did.

Dr. F.

« Reply #3311 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »

I hope you kept them so you had proof of what they did.

Wow. So they took their papers back and tried to change them and change the grade written on them, in the hopes that you would record their "new" grade? Did they think you'd forget the conversation with the professor, or what? How odd.I can't quite imagine what they hoped to get from this (though it was certainly academic misconduct).

lilfox

« Reply #3312 on: January 30, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
Whoa.  I've had students turn in identical papers (one printed in B/W, one in color, like that would make a diff), and I've had students turn in verbatim excerpts from a website that I used as an example in class (like I wouldn't be familiar with it).  But I never had students try to falsify a better grade!  :o   I'd have thought that would be grounds for failing the whole class (or being forced to drop the class), not just the assignment.  Particularly if the professor was there to witness it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3313 on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »
I have seen people submit assignments with the placeholder text still in it.

Lorem ipsum...

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3314 on: January 30, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
I have seen people submit assignments with the placeholder text still in it.

Lorem ipsum...

A friend of mine teaches English at the university level, and she has had several students plagiarize from the textbook.  And not just a line here or there, but whole paragraphs and pages.