A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (666/2257) > >>

WolfWay:

--- Quote from: amandaelizabeth on February 01, 2013, 03:58:56 AM ---The advert that appears directly below wolfways post is for a job seeking site.   It is headlined "find a better boss". Most apt.

--- End quote ---
  ;D

kherbert05:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on January 31, 2013, 10:40:01 PM ---Does TurnItIn still automatically keep the text from all the papers submitted and add them to its database?  That's the part I have a problem with  :-\  I can definitely see how it would help catch plagiarists, though!

--- End quote ---
POD -- They have no ethical ground to stand on if they are stealing student work to add to their database. If students are required to use the service - then they are not giving their permission of their free will. Students work is their intellectual property and deserves the same respect as any other author.

ClaireC79:
Also many students will run their own work through it first, to check they haven't accidentally got too close - then if the teacher also does it, well turnitin has seen 100% of this paper before

Dindrane:
I was once in a literature class in college where a significant portion of the class committed at least a mild form of professional darwinism (student style).

The class covered a variety of works of Shakespeare, so the professor assigned a textbook that contained most of the plays we were going to read (rather than assigning a bunch of individual books). The textbook also included an introduction of sorts for each play, each one written by a different academic in the field. We also had a paper due after we finished studying each play.

About halfway through the semester, right after everyone had turned in a paper for one of the plays, the professor started the class by making a point to remind everyone that it was necessary to properly cite the introductions to the plays as well as the plays themselves, if we used anything from the introduction in our papers. Such a reminder was understandable enough, although it seemed rather oddly pointed.

Until one enterprising student happened to check the by-line of the introduction for the play we'd just written a paper on, and word spread that our professor had in fact authored that particular introduction.

Oops.

Fortunately, the professor seemed to give the class as a whole the benefit of the doubt, and to my knowledge, no actual charges of plagiarism were leveled against any of the students for this particular incident. My guess is that most people, after reading and being influenced by the introduction, used the ideas in their own words without realizing how similar their thoughts were to the introduction. Failing to cite the introduction in that case is, of course, still plagiarism, but at least it's not the intentional variety.

ClaireC79:
That said when I was in uni our plagarism declaration included a sentence about that we had not submitted any portion of that essay for grading before

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version