Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1370077 times)

mmswm

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3390 on: February 06, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
My husband asked me if I would recognize my company's CEO if he did something like this. I said of course I would. He asked how I knew. I told him that it was because our CEO is French and has a very distinct accent.  :P >:D :P

Our CEO is orange.

He spends a LOT of time in his tanning bed that is in his penthouse office.

I would imagine our CEO wouldn't show up himself, as he's far too recognizable. Several of the other executives have been known to show up randomly at various locations just to check things out and talk to the ground level employees.   On the other hand, due to the privacy concerns in the banking world, I have a hard time any bank doing this show.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3391 on: February 06, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
My husband asked me if I would recognize my company's CEO if he did something like this. I said of course I would. He asked how I knew. I told him that it was because our CEO is French and has a very distinct accent.  :P >:D :P

Our CEO is orange.

Did he inherit the company after his boss, Mr Wonka, passed?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3392 on: February 06, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »

Our CEO is orange.

Did he inherit the company after his boss, Mr Wonka, passed?

Cold milk in the sinuses on its way out your nose is not comfortable. But I am giggling insanely......how tall is the boss, by the way (which movie would he have starred in)?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #3393 on: February 06, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
I haven't been watching Undercover Boss lately but I remember one episode in the first season where the boss sat down with a woman on the phones who was absolutely horrible at dealing with customers.  The boss met with her, told her how disappointed he was with her performance and put her on a program/course to improve.  The little blurb at the end where they picture everyone and have words up with an update indicated that she'd failed to improve and was fired.

I think that was an appropriate way to do it.  It is kind of drama inducing to fire the guy on camera, I think.

But honestly, I don't know how this show works anymore.  I know I'd be suspicious if someone showed up at my workplace with cameras in tow, talking about filming a documentary about so and so getting back into the work force/changing careers, etc.

I would be too - first thing I would do is look up the executives to see if the "new" person was one of them. Even if it is legit - a reality show about getting back in the workforce I would still be on my best behavior - afterall i am being filmed and it is going to be shown somewhere. I don't want to make a fool of myself where the world can see.
Exactly.  He knew they were filming.  You have to wonder how he would behave when he was not on camera.
On the other hand, you have to wonder if he would have said what he said if someone wasn't pumping him about how he liked working there.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #3394 on: February 06, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

Our CEO is orange.

Our CEO is almost 7 feet tall.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #3395 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

The premise of Undercover Boss is a meta-reality show, so all employees would sign releases before any filming or they likely wouldn't be scheduled to work that day. I doubt employees can be forced to appear on camera if they aren't willing. Everyone knows they are being filmed all the time they are with the trainee. That's the point of the show.

There's nothing wrong with a little humility. Sounds like this isn't the place for him, but rather than get himself a job where he doesn't have to put up with 'demands', he badmouths the people putting food on his table. On camera. It's not the job of the Exec to guide this man, it's her job to remove him before he ends up on Youtube. He was hoist by his own petard.

My point exactly-if he signed the release BEFORE, he didn't exactly consent to be fired on network TV.
Other execs on Undercover Boss did, however, guide erring employees, including referring them for additional training so that they wouldn't make their mistakes again, rather than firing them. I don't see that it's the JOB of an exec to treat people as disposable, although I suspect it is part of Boston Market culture. Which is why I think she did far more damage to her precious brand than an employee Female Dog in the back room.

Yes, by signing his release he did consent to being fired on network t.v.  That's the risk he took. The company trusted him to train people. What outcome could he have expected? There's no excuse for that level of idiocy.  I would never eat at any Boston Market ever if he wasn't fired.  I appreciate her taking control and dealing with it immediately.

If you've ever eaten at Boston Market he's talking about you. He hates you, and he spreads his poison to new employees. I'm glad he can't get at your food anymore.

Jocelyn

« Reply #3396 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
Well, if I wanted to personalize that someone I'd never met made comments that personally applied to me, I guess I could construe that he hates me.
Actually, she didn't fire him immediately...she sent him home to wait for a call from his manager. Then she went and demanded the manager fire him.
I think you may be confused about what I'm saying. I'm not saying that the employee should not have been fired. I'm saying that it was handled badly. And that a company who handles a firing this way is probably abusive of its employees in many other ways, as the other workers described. A company that doesn't prioritize being kind to workers probably doesn't really care about customers, either. Just about pretending whatever's necessary to 'preserve the brand'.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3397 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
I'd be suspicious that anything on reality tv would show how things are "really done" at a company.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3398 on: February 07, 2013, 12:00:28 AM »
I seem to recall seeing one of the first episodes of that show, with the owner of a Hooters-style place (not sure whether it was actually Hooters or somewhere else).  The manager of one of the restaurant branches was doing some really inappropriate sexist stuff to the female staff, and the boss had to step out and make some phone calls because he couldn't stand to see what was going on there.  I don't recall whether he fired the guy on the spot or did it discreetly via regional management, but I remember the footage of him being really upset that that kind of blatant harassment was going on.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #3399 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:57 AM »
I seem to recall seeing one of the first episodes of that show, with the owner of a Hooters-style place (not sure whether it was actually Hooters or somewhere else).  The manager of one of the restaurant branches was doing some really inappropriate sexist stuff to the female staff, and the boss had to step out and make some phone calls because he couldn't stand to see what was going on there.  I don't recall whether he fired the guy on the spot or did it discreetly via regional management, but I remember the footage of him being really upset that that kind of blatant harassment was going on.

He gave him another chance, which infuriates me to no end.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #3400 on: February 07, 2013, 07:34:48 AM »
But honestly, I don't know how this show works anymore.  I know I'd be suspicious if someone showed up at my workplace with cameras in tow, talking about filming a documentary about so and so getting back into the work force/changing careers, etc.

I'm with you there.  When the show first came on, I was enthralled, but I simply couldn't understand how it would work for more than one season - two, tops.  After that, it gets kind of obvious that *something* is going on when you get a 'new' employee for only one day, followed by cameras. 
There was one episode when the trainer actually said, 'I feel like I'm on Undercover Boss'.   I don't think it'll last much longer.  You can't feel all of the people all of the time.

Dr. F.

« Reply #3401 on: February 07, 2013, 08:35:27 AM »

I'm with you there.  When the show first came on, I was enthralled, but I simply couldn't understand how it would work for more than one season - two, tops.  After that, it gets kind of obvious that *something* is going on when you get a 'new' employee for only one day, followed by cameras. 
There was one episode when the trainer actually said, 'I feel like I'm on Undercover Boss'.   I don't think it'll last much longer.  You can't feel all of the people all of the time.

Best typo ever. :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3402 on: February 07, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
You can't feel all of the people all of the time.

[/quote]

Yep.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #3403 on: February 07, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »

LOL!!   Well, I was inadvertently clever.  Once.   LOL

Darcy

« Reply #3404 on: February 07, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »

There's a show called Bait Car. It's where officers leave a car in a high-theft area, rigged with trackers and hidden cameras, and wait for the thieves to come to them. Without fail, you get plenty of people scoping out the car, saying aloud "it's probably a bait car", and yet deciding to steal it anyway.

At least their stupidity is entertaining. ;D