Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1084854 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3585 on: May 13, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
I'm hoping this turns into PD. I have a group of teachers who swear they will join me in filing complaints but I'm the only one who actually has filed one. (Texas - so no teacher unions they are illegal here)
[/size]* During the beginning of the year campus staff development  went off on the staff, screaming at us for 15 minutes because a teacher disagreed with something he had said and discussed this with a friend from a different campus at convocation. His this is our family and we don’t discuss our family with outsiders was very much like that of a man who abuses his family and punishes the whole for 1 reaching out for help.
[/size]* He makes fun of the anti-bullying campaign
[/size]* He coddles bullies, talks about he was just the same as a child. Personally having a principal say he was just like a boy that forced a girl up against a wall while touching her and making inappropriate remarks does not fill me with confidence.
[/size]* Victims of bullies report to teachers they are yelled at and asked what they did to the bully to provoke them. While the bully smirks and plays on the Ipad or is given toys to take back to class.
[/size]* Teachers have been yelled at for talking to the parents of victims of bullies/assaults on campus
[/size]*did not apologize to staff for inappropriate emails advocating his religious views. He should have been required to apologize at a staff meeting with administration officials presents. District officials should have apologized for not stopping after the first e-mail. (See below)
[/size]* The large number of staff members aware of the complaint to FFRF and the district’s response were disgusted by the obvious lie that the District administration was unaware of what he was doing. We find it hard to believe that he sent these sermons out once a week for two school years, with administration members on the distribution list and not one was ever read by someone at the district level.
[/size]*deliberately giving false information – like telling teachers that district policy required they unfriend their own children, if those children were students of LCISD. Then going off for 10 – 15 minutes about how we are all stupid for being on Facebook.
[/size]* saying he wanted to get rid of all waivers so he could make sure the right people left in a RIF
[/size]*AP going on about how we could trust her because she was a True Christian™ implying anyone with beliefs other than hers are untrustworthy (It was in the Tone)  Along with the statement we are all Christians here - no there is one Jewish teacher, several non-religious/athiests and the fact there isn't more diversity is a sign there is a problem.
[/size]*Many new hires are ministers in small non-denominational Christian churches - a fact that is constantly brought up to show they are good teachers.  (He introduces teachers like this -- This is (Teacher Name) he is Music leader at (church), he also leads 3 scripture study groups at (church). Most principals say this Teacher he teachers grade 3 and is great with computers)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3586 on: May 13, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »
Unions illegal?!? How is that even possible? If that happened here the teachers would be out on the street.

ladymaureen

« Reply #3587 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
I revised this to say I'm not sure, but I think that the Texas State Teachers Association is a union. I could be wrong though.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3588 on: May 13, 2013, 10:42:17 PM »
Unions illegal?!? How is that even possible? If that happened here the teachers would be out on the street.

Here too  - but I guess it's illegal to strike if you are a teacher in Texas.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3589 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »
There would be serious civil unrest if anyone here tired to ban unions or striking. Australia was founded on unions, more or less. I disagree with their tactics at times, but I do believe everyone has the right to form a union.

Sorry to take this OT, I was just shocked.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3590 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
Wow, that guy sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3591 on: May 14, 2013, 03:54:27 AM »
Oy vey. kherbert, I'm with you on hoping that becomes PD in a hurry!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #3592 on: May 14, 2013, 04:07:45 AM »
I have a final update! As of today, New Coworker is now Ex-Coworker. She was being given another chance; Supervisor took her aside for the Serious Conversation and told her that she had one week to start following instructions and doing things the way she was told to, then her three months of probation would start over IF she was following orders. If not, she was out. Ex-Coworker preferred to quit on the spot.

Highlights of her attempted counter-arguments and the tantrum/rant she went into back in the workroom included such gems as:
"I've been doing this MY way for thirty years!" - and you were hired to do it OUR way.
"Don't call me lazy!" - YOU kept saying you were too lazy to do things the right way, and Supervisor didn't call you lazy; she told you it wasn't an acceptable excuse.
"I don't like being spied on!" - what, you mean when you were putting a job together inside-out and Nice Coworker noticed, luckily before it was irrevocably ruined?
"She should have told me it was wrong, not gone to you!" - so you could fix it without Supervisor knowing you'd stuffed up? Mmm-hmm. It's not Nice Coworker's job to cover up for you.

Sooooo she declared she was leaving, got asked if she was sure, confirmed it... then stomped out to the workroom, ranted (including calling our lovely polite Supervisor a Female Dog), and sat around fuming for a while. Current theory is that she was hoping Owner would appear and beg her to stay. Didn't happen. ::)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3593 on: May 14, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
I have a final update! As of today, New Coworker is now Ex-Coworker. She was being given another chance; Supervisor took her aside for the Serious Conversation and told her that she had one week to start following instructions and doing things the way she was told to, then her three months of probation would start over IF she was following orders. If not, she was out. Ex-Coworker preferred to quit on the spot.

Highlights of her attempted counter-arguments and the tantrum/rant she went into back in the workroom included such gems as:
"I've been doing this MY way for thirty years!" - and you were hired to do it OUR way.
"Don't call me lazy!" - YOU kept saying you were too lazy to do things the right way, and Supervisor didn't call you lazy; she told you it wasn't an acceptable excuse.
"I don't like being spied on!" - what, you mean when you were putting a job together inside-out and Nice Coworker noticed, luckily before it was irrevocably ruined?
"She should have told me it was wrong, not gone to you!" - so you could fix it without Supervisor knowing you'd stuffed up? Mmm-hmm. It's not Nice Coworker's job to cover up for you.

Sooooo she declared she was leaving, got asked if she was sure, confirmed it... then stomped out to the workroom, ranted (including calling our lovely polite Supervisor a Female Dog), and sat around fuming for a while. Current theory is that she was hoping Owner would appear and beg her to stay. Didn't happen. ::)

Your co-worker's double used to work in fast food with me. "I will make tea the way I want, I'm 50+ years old and I don't have to make it the way the restaurant requires. I don't have to follow the other rules, either. I KNOW what I'm doing and Mrs Boss can't tell me what to do. I don't need this little orientation and please don't show me around the store. I will figure things out myself and do them MY way." You can guess how long that one lasted with us ::)

Mel the Redcap

« Reply #3594 on: May 14, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
Your co-worker's double used to work in fast food with me. "I will make tea the way I want, I'm 50+ years old and I don't have to make it the way the restaurant requires. I don't have to follow the other rules, either. I KNOW what I'm doing and Mrs Boss can't tell me what to do. I don't need this little orientation and please don't show me around the store. I will figure things out myself and do them MY way." You can guess how long that one lasted with us ::)

*snicker* Probably less time than my Ex-Coworker lasted. ;)

The owner asked her right out when he hired her if she had a problem taking direction from Supervisor and she said "Oh that's fine, no problem"... :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3595 on: May 14, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
Great student darwinism story courtesy of my brother, who teaches high school science  :)  Long story short, students had around six weeks to do a major science project of their own choosing (with some general guidelines).  One student selected a project which would involve growing plants in various conditions and recording how the conditions changed the growth.

1) She came to my brother three days before the project was due (so 5.5 weeks into it) asking his advice on how she should set up the plants to make them grow best.  Um, shouldn't you have done that more than a month ago?

2) She turned in a paper claiming that she had, indeed, done this project - presumably including time-traveling a month into the past to set up the plant-growing part - and her results came out in an absolutely perfect graph.

3) This perfect graph incidentally came straight from the Wikipedia page on her topic, as did a large portion of the text.

4) When she was called in for a meeting with my brother and the principal, she tried to backpedal: "Oh, THAT part was from the internet, but the pictures were all mine!"

5) Except they weren't, and my brother had the Google-Fu to prove it with a quick search of Google images.  "Oh, well those were from the internet too, but that was only because I couldn't get the plants to grow enough in three days to get a result!" :headdesk:

I asked my brother if she got a zero, but she actually got a 16 - the in-class presentation was worth 20 points, and she DID do that part, so she got the 16/20 for presenting.  Which made it a 16 out of 100 for the whole project.  Incidentally, she's been caught plagiarizing in other classes as well, so there's a good chance she won't be at this particular (private) school next year.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3596 on: May 14, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »
We have a fairly new employee (NE).

Things did not start off well, as she had to go on leave immediately after starting working for us, and then couldn't begin training right away because of other reasons. I am in week 4 of training her, and if she was on track like the other 10 people I have trained, we would be almost done with the data entry part and be moving on to document management. However, we are not on track. NE has a propensity for copious notes for everything, taking pages of notes, marking up the manual I gave her with notes and highlights. However, her notes have not helped and if things do not progress when she comes to meet with me for training, she will be placed on double probation.

MrTango

« Reply #3597 on: May 14, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »

There goes any opportunity for her to collect unemployment...

MyFamily

« Reply #3598 on: May 14, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »
I'm using this link, but they seem to be everywhere (including facebook) and this is PD-happening as we speak.  The worst part, imo, is the stealing of the staff's tips, though the posting of other's pictures and claiming them as their own and selling other people's food and claiming it is homemade is also pretty awful.  I will have to check out this episode on hulu sooner rather than later, I believe.

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/kitchen-nightmare-comes-true-for-arizona-restaurant-owners-182329445.html

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #3599 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
And now the first message on their Facebook page reads,

"Obviously our Facebook, YELP, Twitter and Website have been hacked. We are working with the local authorities as well as the FBI computer crimes unit to ensure this does not happen again. We did not post those horrible things. Thank You Amy &Samy"

I'm rolling with laughter over here...