Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1094191 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3600 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
DH and I watched that episode and I don't think our mouths ever closed, because it was so outrageous! No personal responsibility, no acceptance of criticism, these people are the ultimate in blaming others.

Carotte

« Reply #3601 on: May 14, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »
And now the first message on their Facebook page reads,

"Obviously our Facebook, YELP, Twitter and Website have been hacked. We are working with the local authorities as well as the FBI computer crimes unit to ensure this does not happen again. We did not post those horrible things. Thank You Amy &Samy"

I'm rolling with laughter over here...

Well, I did need a good laugh tonight  ::)
gosh, makes you wonder how they kept in business that long.

I only remember one or two episodes were Gordon Ramsay was really close to call it quit, at least once because of the state of the kitchen (which should have been burned and rebuilt from his cleaned ashes). So even when it's really bad he usualy hangs on. Even if very few of the restaurants helped by him are actually still afloat after one year.
So for him to just up and leave must mean it was baaadddd.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:01:55 PM by Carotte »

Shalamar

« Reply #3602 on: May 14, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
"I AM A GREAT MOM TO OUR KIDS AND WE WILL BE PARENTS TO A HUMAN KID ONE DAY TO."  (Sic)

Um, what?   :o

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3603 on: May 14, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
Just to clarify - there are no unions/collective bargaining for state employees in Texas. There are unions in the private sector. Public school teachers are state employees in a convoluted way (The state pays for our base pay through the district).

It is also illegal for us to strike. The reason I mentioned it is when I've mentioned problems at school before I've gotten private and public messages to take it up with the union.

The 2 national teacher unions do have state associations and they theoretically are there to help us in situations like this. My campus rep was a darling of the principal. When I called the state association early on I got - You know you're in Texas right? Basically the person implied this is normal behavior. That is why I went to the FFRF. I actually tried several other civil rights groups but they took up the cause. With some of this stuff I can report it to TPTB at the district level - but unless the parents press and threaten lawsuits nothing is going to happen. Our parents aren't likely to confront an authority figure like him.

Oh, he also suggested that we not sign our contracts and go get jobs at Wal-mart. That might be the straw that broke the camel's back as far as people getting up the gumption to file complaints against him.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3604 on: May 14, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
"I AM A GREAT MOM TO OUR KIDS AND WE WILL BE PARENTS TO A HUMAN KID ONE DAY TO."  (Sic)

Um, what?   :o

Amy referred to her cats as kids in cat bodies.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3605 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
I'm using this link, but they seem to be everywhere (including facebook) and this is PD-happening as we speak.  The worst part, imo, is the stealing of the staff's tips, though the posting of other's pictures and claiming them as their own and selling other people's food and claiming it is homemade is also pretty awful.  I will have to check out this episode on hulu sooner rather than later, I believe.

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/kitchen-nightmare-comes-true-for-arizona-restaurant-owners-182329445.html

It's amazing that people can be so self-unaware. I'm sure that they really do think that they are fantastic people, great bakers and resauranteurs. Inviting Gordon Ramsay and cameras into your place when you have a bunch of one-star Yelp reviews already is the height of arrogance. Did they think that Kitchen Nightmares goes to places that are well run and successful?

As for their use of social media to defend themselves and to attack their critics, well, I hope that someone sends them a link to the Streisand Effect. It's too late to do any good, but they should realize that they're doing damage to themselves by being arrogant and hostile.

The adage that "all publicity is good publicity," does not hold true. Especially not in the era of social media.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3606 on: May 14, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
What were they thinking venting on social media like that? I find one of the remarks rather ominous calling people "weaker than his wife".

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3607 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »
What were they thinking venting on social media like that? I find one of the remarks rather ominous calling people "weaker than his wife".

You know, Arizona isn't that far away...I want to challenge them both to an arm wrestle.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #3608 on: May 14, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

"Obviously our Facebook, YELP, Twitter and Website have been hacked. We are working with the local authorities as well as the FBI computer crimes unit to ensure this does not happen again. We did not post those horrible things. Thank You Amy &Samy"

Ah, the Judith Griggs school of blame!  Any one who criticizes you has hacked your site; if it is pointed out to you that saying the things you have posted is Not A Good Idea, claim that some Nefarious Person has hacked the site claiming to be you.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #3609 on: May 14, 2013, 11:57:07 PM »
Holy cow, watching hte episode right now.  Those people are seriously crazy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3610 on: May 15, 2013, 01:26:12 AM »
An interesting article (bag language ahoy) about the after effects on the contestants who take part in reality shows (and they mention Hell's Kitchen as well, number 4 on the list). Basically: taking part in Hell' Kitchen is probably more likely to kill your restaurant than save it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20299_5-depressing-realities-behind-popular-reality-tv-shows.html
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3611 on: May 15, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »
An interesting article (bag language ahoy) about the after effects on the contestants who take part in reality shows (and they mention Hell's Kitchen as well, number 4 on the list). Basically: taking part in Hell' Kitchen is probably more likely to kill your restaurant than save it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20299_5-depressing-realities-behind-popular-reality-tv-shows.html

They mention Kitchen NIghtmares; Hell's Kitchen is Ramsey yelling at people as they try to coook scallops and risotto and calling them donkeys. I adore Hell's Kitchen.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3612 on: May 15, 2013, 01:53:06 AM »

I don't think that's exactly what it's saying. Going on Kitchen Nightmares doesn't kill the restaurant; I don't think these restaurants would still be open if they hadn't been on the show. They were all on the show for a reason, namely that they were failing because they were awful. I'm more likely to think that they just didn't take his advice to heart and went back to their old ways after he left. Most of the people I can remember from recent episodes honestly don't seem interested in changing. They think their way is wonderful and world-famous Gordon Ramsey couldn't possibly know better than them.

nuit93

« Reply #3613 on: May 15, 2013, 02:24:29 AM »

Ah, the Judith Griggs school of blame!  Any one who criticizes you has hacked your site; if it is pointed out to you that saying the things you have posted is Not A Good Idea, claim that some Nefarious Person has hacked the site claiming to be you.

That NEVER ends well.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3614 on: May 15, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

They mention Kitchen NIghtmares; Hell's Kitchen is Ramsey yelling at people as they try to coook scallops and risotto and calling them donkeys. I adore Hell's Kitchen.
Whoops. Sorry. They all blur together into a tiny angry english man bellowing abuse at people. Not a fan personally. =)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)