Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1297386 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3615 on: May 15, 2013, 03:36:29 AM »

Whoops. Sorry. They all blur together into a tiny angry english man bellowing abuse at people. Not a fan personally. =)
He's Scots.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3616 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:57 AM »
British man then.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3617 on: May 15, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »
Sooooo she declared she was leaving, got asked if she was sure, confirmed it...

There goes any opportunity for her to collect unemployment...

I'm in Australia. Unemployment benefit is a federal thing, and has nothing to do with whether or not you were fired or quit; it's means-tested, so if her husband makes a reasonable amount of money she won't qualify. (I didn't.) Essentially if you don't make money from other sources and do a reasonable job of looking for work (or pretending to  :P) you'll get it here.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3618 on: May 15, 2013, 04:29:19 AM »
Actually it does. Centrelink won't give you payments for a certain period of time if you were fired or you quit.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3619 on: May 15, 2013, 08:07:42 AM »
Actually it does. Centrelink won't give you payments for a certain period of time if you were fired or you quit.

Goodness, really? Shows you how much I know! ;D Thanks for the correction - wayyyyy back when I was getting the dole, it was because I didn't qualify for Austudy if I studied full-time, so I went part-time at uni and got paid more for doing less. :P Being fired or quitting didn't come into it.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3620 on: May 15, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
An interesting article (bag language ahoy) about the after effects on the contestants who take part in reality shows (and they mention Hell's Kitchen as well, number 4 on the list). Basically: taking part in Hell' Kitchen is probably more likely to kill your restaurant than save it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20299_5-depressing-realities-behind-popular-reality-tv-shows.html

They mention Kitchen NIghtmares; Hell's Kitchen is Ramsey yelling at people as they try to coook scallops and risotto and calling them donkeys. I adore Hell's Kitchen.
Whoops. Sorry. They all blur together into a tiny angry english man bellowing abuse at people. Not a fan personally. =)

If you have Netflix (not sure if they're online elsewhere) you should check out the BBC Kitchen Nightmares series. He's a lot quieter in that one.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3621 on: May 15, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
And now the first message on their Facebook page reads,

"Obviously our Facebook, YELP, Twitter and Website have been hacked. We are working with the local authorities as well as the FBI computer crimes unit to ensure this does not happen again. We did not post those horrible things. Thank You Amy &Samy"

I'm rolling with laughter over here...
Ah, the Judith Griggs school of blame!  Any one who criticizes you has hacked your site; if it is pointed out to you that saying the things you have posted is Not A Good Idea, claim that some Nefarious Person has hacked the site claiming to be you.

Yeah, now people are finding out that the pictures Amy has been posting have come from other bloggers around the internet.  This is NOT going to end well especially now that Reddit is involved.

Shalamar

« Reply #3622 on: May 15, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »
Amy referred to her cats as kids in cat bodies.

Oh UGH.  That's one of my pet peeves.  Cats are awesome (I have three myself), but they are not the same as children. 

I love Amy's defense for claiming that her "home-made desserts" were actually purchased elsewhere - "they were EXPENSIVE!"   Well, gee, in that case, I serve home-made food every Saturday night.  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:19:28 AM by Shalamar »

magicdomino

« Reply #3623 on: May 15, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »

Oh UGH.  That's one of my pet peeves.  Cats are awesome (I have three myself), but they are not the same as children. 

I love Amy's defense for claiming that her "home-made desserts" were actually purchased elsewhere - "they were EXPENSIVE!"   Well, gee, in that case, I serve home-made food every Saturday night.  :)

Many restaurants purchase their desserts, sometimes from bakeries, sometimes from Sysco or Costco.  If asked, many of those will say that their desserts are made "in-house" even if they are really just microwaving the frozen chocolate lava cakes.  In-house pastry chefs are expensive.  But they have enough sense not to heavily promote their desserts, much less trumpet their "home-made" desserts on television.  This just makes me want to find the source bakery.  Why pay a middleman?   :)

Hillia

« Reply #3624 on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
My favorite was the fact that the husband wouldn't allow the servers to do anything but take orders and carry food - they weren't even allowed to enter the orders into the POS system.  He did the order entry (badly), poured wine, etc, then used this as justification for keeping the wait staff's tips.  He was very open about it: 'I do all the work, so I keep the tips'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3625 on: May 15, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »

Then the frozen ravioli they were advertising as freshly made, in-house. I despise false advertising.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3626 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
Samy also made the front and back of the house staff wash his car on the clock.

nuit93

« Reply #3627 on: May 15, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »
My favorite was the fact that the husband wouldn't allow the servers to do anything but take orders and carry food - they weren't even allowed to enter the orders into the POS system.  He did the order entry (badly), poured wine, etc, then used this as justification for keeping the wait staff's tips.  He was very open about it: 'I do all the work, so I keep the tips'.

Am I the only one who suspected that the restaurant was a front for something shady?

Hillia

« Reply #3628 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
Comments in a local independent paper are hinting that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

dawbs

« Reply #3629 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »

Am I the only one who suspected that the restaurant was a front for something shady?

you mean someone w/ a record for embezzelment may not have learned her lesson?  say it ain't so!  ;)