Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1096958 times)

Hillia

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3630 on: May 15, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Embezzlement also?  I read about the identity theft conviction, but not embezzlement.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

dawbs

« Reply #3631 on: May 15, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
d'oh, I think you're right--sorry!
Meant ID theft.

Shalamar

« Reply #3632 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
The "home-made" thing reminds me of when the restaurant critic in our local paper visited a new place and asked if their pasta sauce was home-made.  The waitress answered confidently that it was.  Critic tasted it and said "Huh - tastes a lot like canned sauce to me."  The waitress said, puzzled, "Well, yes - but we open the cans ourselves on-site." 

Jocelyn

« Reply #3633 on: May 15, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »
The "home-made" thing reminds me of when the restaurant critic in our local paper visited a new place and asked if their pasta sauce was home-made.  The waitress answered confidently that it was.  Critic tasted it and said "Huh - tastes a lot like canned sauce to me."  The waitress said, puzzled, "Well, yes - but we open the cans ourselves on-site."
I once critiqued a Chinese restaurant by saying that at most of them, if you went into the kitchen, you'd see Asian people chopping up raw veggies, but at this place, you'd find Caucasians opening cans of Chun King.

But from the above, are they suggesting that any food prep makes it 'home-made'? I am imagining a restaurant that has microwave ovens on a buffet table, and the waiters just bring you the cans and frozen dinners...

Shalamar

« Reply #3634 on: May 15, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
I'm kind of wondering if the waitress I described had no idea what "home-made" really means.  If she grew up in a household where cookies always come from a box, for example, she might consider Pillsbury Dough to be home-made cookies - after all, you cut up the dough and bake it yourself.

I must admit, I got a bit of an eye-opener when my husband and I took an Italian cooking class and we made pasta sauce completely from scratch.  I'd had no idea that starting with actual whole tomatoes was even a possibility.  :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3635 on: May 15, 2013, 05:06:05 PM »
A local grocery store where I grew up had "ho-made" baked goods for a long time (to avoid legal troubles for false advertising, I assume) before someone thought better of that title and changed it.

Cami

« Reply #3636 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
I once critiqued a Chinese restaurant by saying that at most of them, if you went into the kitchen, you'd see Asian people chopping up raw veggies, but at this place, you'd find Caucasians opening cans of Chun King.

But from the above, are they suggesting that any food prep makes it 'home-made'? I am imagining a restaurant that has microwave ovens on a buffet table, and the waiters just bring you the cans and frozen dinners...
Due to my work I eat at a lot of restaurants. I ask a lot of questions and have gone into a lot of restaurant kitchens. In my experience, most mom and pop restaurants get the bulk of their food pre-prepared and heat it on site. The owners often truly believe heating a meal = homemade and cutting a pie and putting a slice on a plate = homemade.  It always makes me laugh when certain foodies I know decry eating at Olive Garden because their food is pre-prepared and heated onsite while lauding the local diner, which -- unbenownst to them --  is doing the exact same thing.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3637 on: May 15, 2013, 06:01:23 PM »
I used to work in a take away shop when my parents owned it but there was never really an confusion over whether something was home made or not.

Cakes were pre-made, and people knew it as the cakes were also sold elsewhere but we did make lasagne ourselves as well as soup and casseroles. But home made stuff was in the minority, as it had to be done during opening hours on site.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3638 on: May 15, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
DH once worked in the kitchen of a restaurant that made him sign a confidentiality agreement with regards to their BBQ sauce (they were afraid people would take their recipe and use it elsewhere). It didn't come directly from a can - it was the contents of a few different cans mixed together. Nothing fresh in it at all, just open cans and mix in the right proportion.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3639 on: May 15, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
A local grocery store where I grew up had "ho-made" baked goods for a long time (to avoid legal troubles for false advertising, I assume) before someone thought better of that title and changed it.

Women might not object to "Home Aid" baked goods and dinners!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3640 on: May 15, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
Just watched the episode... :O

Ramsey was probably the nicest I've seen him. He genuinely wanted to help, but they wouldn't take it. I'm betting they'll be closing their doors in six months.

Or hoping.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3641 on: May 15, 2013, 10:33:12 PM »
I kept thinking, throughout the episode, that there was something wrong. The way the owners relate to each other, the lack of real communication amongst them, the total disregard for customers and employees. I, as a patron, would have walked out if I heard Amy speak to an employee the way she did frequently on video.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3642 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »
I kept thinking, throughout the episode, that there was something wrong. The way the owners relate to each other, the lack of real communication amongst them, the total disregard for customers and employees. I, as a patron, would have walked out if I heard Amy speak to an employee the way she did frequently on video.

I wild have too, but I might have slipped the server some money and told her to keep it.

Clareish

« Reply #3643 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:29 PM »
Just a quick thing on tips... I worked for a large coffee chain that had those silly bowls beside the registers for tips. This was last year. Yeah, we never saw any of that money. The worker's shifts were all over the place, and the tips would get dumped into the register a few times a day. When I asked if a percentage would get tacked on to my paycheck, or whatever, my supervisor shrugged, and informed me she had never seen extra money. The tips were treated as profit by the corporation.

Iris

« Reply #3644 on: May 16, 2013, 02:15:35 AM »
Just a quick thing on tips... I worked for a large coffee chain that had those silly bowls beside the registers for tips. This was last year. Yeah, we never saw any of that money. The worker's shifts were all over the place, and the tips would get dumped into the register a few times a day. When I asked if a percentage would get tacked on to my paycheck, or whatever, my supervisor shrugged, and informed me she had never seen extra money. The tips were treated as profit by the corporation.

:o :o :o

Can you name names? That is awful.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.