Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1413219 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3645 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »
Amy and Samy have announced on FB that they are planning a "grand re-opening" and have dissed Gordon Ramsay...

I bet it doesn't go well!

Jones

« Reply #3646 on: May 16, 2013, 07:04:17 AM »
Anyone else check ABC's reviews on YELP, going back to 2010? Amy and Samy are a long term train wreck in progress.

It's amazing the place is open. Apparently, if you leave a bad review and aren't willing to come into the store with your receipt, you work for the competition because the owners sure don't remember you being there that night.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3647 on: May 16, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
I kept staring at the knives on the wall right behind her. I would not have been surprised if she'd grabbed one or started throwing things. She was genuinely scary.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3648 on: May 16, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
I watched that ep and truly, I am amazed at their category-5 level of delusion.

I kept staring at the knives on the wall right behind her. I would not have been surprised if she'd grabbed one or started throwing things. She was genuinely scary.

Word. I was worried for the staff by the end of the night.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #3649 on: May 16, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Me too!  I thought, "I wouldn't want to be around her with a knife in her hand."

Amara

« Reply #3650 on: May 16, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »
I watched it online last night and yes, her access to knives is worrisome. I know that young woman who left was upset but it was the best thing that could have happened. I hope the other employee left soon after too.

Did you watch her eyes change when she went from controlled semi-controlled to "I lost it"? I found myself shaking. If there was ever an indication of craziness . . .

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3651 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
I try very hard not to assign a disorder to people on a television show, but I have two classes this semester that will cause me to watch that episode a few more times.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3652 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
I'm kind of wondering if the waitress I described had no idea what "home-made" really means.  If she grew up in a household where cookies always come from a box, for example, she might consider Pillsbury Dough to be home-made cookies - after all, you cut up the dough and bake it yourself.

I must admit, I got a bit of an eye-opener when my husband and I took an Italian cooking class and we made pasta sauce completely from scratch.  I'd had no idea that starting with actual whole tomatoes was even a possibility.  :)
Recipe, please?   I've been looking for years for a pasta sauce that uses only whole tomatoes.  All the ones I've found so far, even with fresh tomatoes, also add tomato paste.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #3653 on: May 16, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »
Argh, sorry, Elfmama  - that class was years ago and I can't find the recipe!  :(

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #3654 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
I'm kind of wondering if the waitress I described had no idea what "home-made" really means.  If she grew up in a household where cookies always come from a box, for example, she might consider Pillsbury Dough to be home-made cookies - after all, you cut up the dough and bake it yourself.

I must admit, I got a bit of an eye-opener when my husband and I took an Italian cooking class and we made pasta sauce completely from scratch.  I'd had no idea that starting with actual whole tomatoes was even a possibility.  :)
Recipe, please?   I've been looking for years for a pasta sauce that uses only whole tomatoes.  All the ones I've found so far, even with fresh tomatoes, also add tomato paste.

Here's the best tomato-sauce-from-fresh-tomatoes recipe I've seen, ever since my mama taught me how:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tomato-sauce-recipe/index.html

Roasting the tomatoes really brings out the flavor, but I don't have a food mill at home, so I tend to peel the tomatoes first (then they don't roast so well).

MrTango

« Reply #3655 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
Roasting the tomatoes really brings out the flavor, but I don't have a food mill at home, so I tend to peel the tomatoes first (then they don't roast so well).

Do you have a wire mesh splatter guard?  I'd bet that you could use that and a large serving spoon to get the same effect.  It might not be as easy, but it should work.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3656 on: May 16, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

I was starting to describe what I do, and realized that I probably need to make some tomato sauce and take notes, since it seems to be a thing where I go "OK, right, time to add the oregano" as I cook. But the basic idea is to either cut some bacon up small and fry it in the bottom or a saucepan, or heat the pan and add olive oil (different flavors, and the latter makes a vegetarian sauce).

Then cook diced yellow onion and garlic in the fat. When the onion and garlic are soft, add diced bell peppers (similar volume to the onion) and diced tomatoes (I used the canned Roma tomatoes). Add some combination of bay leaf, oregano, basil, and any other herbs you happen to be fond of. Start boiling water for pasta, and simmer the tomato sauce while the pasta cooks. When the pasta is ready, use a spoon and dish it out over the pasta. Serve, with optional grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese.

I usually put tomato paste in at about the same time as the tomatoes, these days; for that version a regular ladle is also fine.

Well, at least I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3657 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:24 PM »
I try very hard not to assign a disorder to people on a television show, but I have two classes this semester that will cause me to watch that episode a few more times.

Whether there is something clinical going on or not is beyond the purview of the forum. That said, they evidently have deluded themselves to the point where they think that they are perfect and any complaints/issues must be due to flaws in other people.  Sadly, I see more and more people with that outlook. The idea that there might, just might, be something wrong with them is intolerable. Normal people have self doubt; only idiots are certain.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

MindsEye

« Reply #3658 on: May 16, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »

Do you have a wire mesh splatter guard?  I'd bet that you could use that and a large serving spoon to get the same effect.  It might not be as easy, but it should work.

Immersion blender.  Does the trick nicely and there is no need to skin the tomatoes, especially if you have roasted/stewed them for a long time at a low temperature.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3659 on: May 16, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »

Whether there is something clinical going on or not is beyond the purview of the forum. That said, they evidently have deluded themselves to the point where they think that they are perfect and any complaints/issues must be due to flaws in other people.  Sadly, I see more and more people with that outlook. The idea that there might, just might, be something wrong with them is intolerable. Normal people have self doubt; only idiots are certain.

You are right, as usual, Art. How awful to feel so paranoid and to think of everyone as the enemy, even your customers and employees!

I would never go into the clinical here on this forum, as I value it too much.