Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1253372 times)

Carotte

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3660 on: May 16, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »
All this talk about the eppisode mademe want to watch it.
In less than a minute we have :
Gordon: "did you make these?"
amy: "yes"
G: "any of those store bought?"
A: "No".
I'm still waiting to see the part where people find out it's store bought and what she does/explain.. ::)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3661 on: May 16, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
The "home-made" thing reminds me of when the restaurant critic in our local paper visited a new place and asked if their pasta sauce was home-made.  The waitress answered confidently that it was.  Critic tasted it and said "Huh - tastes a lot like canned sauce to me."  The waitress said, puzzled, "Well, yes - but we open the cans ourselves on-site."

I remember reading a story, I think on this forum, where the poster and her sister went to a restaurant and the sister asked if their mashed potatoes were homemade from real potatoes. The waitress assured her that yes, they were, and of course instant came out. She brought out the box and triumphantly said "Look, 100% real potato flakes!"

I've honestly never eaten at a good restaurant. All the places around here reheat their food from frozen or make it from boxes and I can tell. I know I've told the story about the steakhouse people raved about where they served Rotella bread, bagged salad and everything else was from frozen or from a box. If I can make it at home from a mix (not even if I can duplicate the dish at home, but if I can literally make the exact same thing from the exact same mix), I'm not paying to eat it at your restaurant.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #3662 on: May 16, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »
The "home-made" thing reminds me of when the restaurant critic in our local paper visited a new place and asked if their pasta sauce was home-made.  The waitress answered confidently that it was.  Critic tasted it and said "Huh - tastes a lot like canned sauce to me."  The waitress said, puzzled, "Well, yes - but we open the cans ourselves on-site."

I remember reading a story, I think on this forum, where the poster and her sister went to a restaurant and the sister asked if their mashed potatoes were homemade from real potatoes. The waitress assured her that yes, they were, and of course instant came out. She brought out the box and triumphantly said "Look, 100% real potato flakes!"

I've honestly never eaten at a good restaurant. All the places around here reheat their food from frozen or make it from boxes and I can tell. I know I've told the story about the steakhouse people raved about where they served Rotella bread, bagged salad and everything else was from frozen or from a box. If I can make it at home from a mix (not even if I can duplicate the dish at home, but if I can literally make the exact same thing from the exact same mix), I'm not paying to eat it at your restaurant.

I'm the same way! It started with "I won't order something I can make at home" which over a few years, morphed into "Nothing at a restaurant tastes as good as food we make at home."

goldilocks

« Reply #3663 on: May 16, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
I used to work at a "country" restaurant, that promoted Southern cooking (think fried chicken, vegetables, huge biscuits).  This restaurant was part of a small chain throughout Tennessee.

More than one customer asked me if the vegetables were "home grown".  What - you really think we have a garden out back?

Shalamar

« Reply #3664 on: May 16, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
My mother and I used to love Black Forest torte, but over time, we noticed that more and more restaurants were serving the kind made with an "edible oil product" (think Cool Whip) instead of real whipped cream.  So, we'd ask our server what their cakes were made with - was it real whipped cream?  The answer was always an indignant "Of course!", but the actual cake invariably had Cool Whip.  I don't know if the waitresses were fibbing or if they genuinely didn't know the difference.  In any case, we never went back to those restaurants (topic!).

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3665 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
I try very hard not to assign a disorder to people on a television show, but I have two classes this semester that will cause me to watch that episode a few more times.

I've watched a number of 'Restaurant Rescue' shows.  This was the only one that made the hairs on the back of my head stand up. 

I know it is not proper to comment on the bodily modifications or others.  Still,  Amy needs to take the diamonds out of her ears and start listening to what her customers really want to eat.  It would also help if she had her cute nose job modified so she could smell what she's cooking. 

Samy is a control freak par excellence.  The poor girl who is waiting tables is described as a 'food runner'.  She's only allowed to pour water and bring payment to Samy at the register.    Samy is the only one who can put orders into the kitchen and any tips the girl gets go directly to Samy & Amy.  No wonder they have such a high turnover. If you treat your employees like inmates in a 19th century Workhouse, that's the sort of loyalty you are going to get.   

Something is going on with Samy & Amy that's about 90 degrees from normal. I don't think they even trust each other.  There seemed to be so much bile in the show that it was hard to watch to the end. 

Ich.   

Hillia

« Reply #3666 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
When Gordon met with 2 previous employees, they told him the restaurant had churned through 50 employees in a year.  Gordon asked Samy and Amy about it; Amy snarled 'Prove it!' and Samy said thoughtfully, 'No, it was more like 100'.  At which point Amy said she needed a drink of water and went stomping off.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3667 on: May 16, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »
I try very hard not to assign a disorder to people on a television show, but I have two classes this semester that will cause me to watch that episode a few more times.

I've watched a number of 'Restaurant Rescue' shows.  This was the only one that made the hairs on the back of my head stand up. 

I know it is not proper to comment on the bodily modifications or others.  Still,  Amy needs to take the diamonds out of her ears and start listening to what her customers really want to eat.  It would also help if she had her cute nose job modified so she could smell what she's cooking. 

Samy is a control freak par excellence.  The poor girl who is waiting tables is described as a 'food runner'.  She's only allowed to pour water and bring payment to Samy at the register.    Samy is the only one who can put orders into the kitchen and any tips the girl gets go directly to Samy & Amy.  No wonder they have such a high turnover. If you treat your employees like inmates in a 19th century Workhouse, that's the sort of loyalty you are going to get.   

Something is going on with Samy & Amy that's about 90 degrees from normal. I don't think they even trust each other.  There seemed to be so much bile in the show that it was hard to watch to the end. 

Ich.   

...and I suddenly realised we've found the Thénardiers (from Les Miserables).

poundcake

« Reply #3668 on: May 16, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
All this talk about the eppisode mademe want to watch it.
In less than a minute we have :
Gordon: "did you make these?"
amy: "yes"
G: "any of those store bought?"
A: "No".
I'm still waiting to see the part where people find out it's store bought and what she does/explain.. ::)

Some of the Reddit people dug up info on her buying and "repackaging" cakes. One of her eye-popping all-caps responses on her FB was how Wal-Mart resells toys and electronics all the time, so how dare people judge her for this? Thus, one of the popular phrases on some of the reviews and comments are "THE CAKE IS A LIE."

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #3669 on: May 16, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
We just watched this episode today, and almost immediately my whole family said, "Crazy eyes!"  There is something seriously wrong with that woman.  And did anyone notice that Gordon got so angry he actually *didn't* yell?  Wow!  It was a scary episode. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3670 on: May 16, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
I'm... I'm going to watch this episode.... and maybe, if I get scared enough, cry into a pillow.

rain

« Reply #3671 on: May 16, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
 :(   can the food talk start its own thread?

very few of the cooking posts sound like Professional Darwinism

"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3672 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
What food talk? This all looks like PD to me.

Minmom3

« Reply #3673 on: May 16, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Roasting the tomatoes really brings out the flavor, but I don't have a food mill at home, so I tend to peel the tomatoes first (then they don't roast so well).

Do you have a wire mesh splatter guard?  I'd bet that you could use that and a large serving spoon to get the same effect.  It might not be as easy, but it should work.

You can also use a standard metal sieve.  My mother did that for years for fresh pea soup.  Hard work, but actually better than a food mill in this case, because the sieve and spoon action doesn't send the skins through like a food mill does, so the soup is much smoother made that way than it is with the food mill.  At least, my experience has been such.  Silky smooth and glorious!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3674 on: May 16, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »
When Gordon met with 2 previous employees, they told him the restaurant had churned through 50 employees in a year.  Gordon asked Samy and Amy about it; Amy snarled 'Prove it!' and Samy said thoughtfully, 'No, it was more like 100'.  At which point Amy said she needed a drink of water and went stomping off.

I actually did a spit-take at that point.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls