Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1415378 times)

Pen^2

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3750 on: May 25, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
I used to work at a gas station that recorded the employees. They didn't tell anyone, of course, but when they came in and started reprimanding an employee for a private conversation (where she talked about problems she had with the company; I don't remember specifics of the conversation but the employee was talking to me and no customers were involved or overheard--probably not appropriate for work, but not harming the business in any way) we figured it out fast. I had liked that job before, but unsurprisingly I didn't after that. And that did end up being PD for her--she'd worked there for at least a decade and put in her two weeks shortly after that. However, when she told customers the name of the new gas station she'd be working at, she was fired.

Wow...

I used to work (not for long) at a Subway restaurant. The owner was odd. He had many, many security cameras, but most were aimed at the employee area, especially under the register (he thought we would steal from him). He could watch the CCTV from his house. He used to ring up while we were working and say things like, "tuck your shirt in!" or, "your hair is too messy--go and fix it!"

I did say I didn't work there for very long.

greencat

« Reply #3751 on: May 25, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
Likewise one of my previous jobs, the owner/manager had a security camera system up that he would actually watch and listen to the feed from home - he reprimanded one employee for talking on the phone with her boyfriend, during her long overnight shift.

Jones

« Reply #3752 on: May 25, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »
I had a boss who called me and a shopworker into his office one day. I was to be a witness, though he didn't tell me that; I was as surprised as the employee was when the boss asked him to open his lunchbox. A widget tool was in there, with a bit of duct tape wrapped around. The employee tried to say it was his widget from home. Boss asked, oh, did you forget we have cameras?

Employee, stunned, said that yes, he had forgotten.

Amazingly he was not fired, simply warned in the presence of a witness that this was the last straw...he did keep his nose clean after that!

DollyPond

« Reply #3753 on: May 25, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
A friend once worked for a large pharmaceutical company.  She said it was like working for the CIA - everything was monitored and recorded - phone calls, computer use, e-mails and there were cameras everywhere. She said "You'd be amazed at how many people get fired around here for 'playing scrabble' in the labs!"

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #3754 on: May 25, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
Many years ago, I worked temporarily at a facility that had been converted from big-time classified government research to a benign peaceful purpose. Most of the former employees were able to transfer to the new projects. The facility was a complex of buildings surrounded by a fence, with a guarded gate.

Old timers told me that one of the biggest issues was unauthorized photography. If you were caught with a personal camera, it was confiscated and the film developed. If, as one guy told me about himself, you forgot to take your camera out of your car after attending a kiddy birthday party, you got the pictures back, as well as a royal chewing out. If you had actually photographed something, you didn't just have employment problems, you had legal problems.

They didn't routinely inspect every car leaving the site, but there were random days when they did an inspection blitz. You could tell because there was a long line waiting to leave. And because, scattered along the roadside were all sorts of things that had been jettisoned by waiting employees. Rarely cameras, but typewriters, boxes of office supplies, tools, and that sort of stuff.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #3755 on: May 25, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
RE: Survaillience audio.

Back in my wayward and misspent youth, I and a fellow imp got fed up with a boss using the cameras to listen in on everything and then using it against us and/or customers. So we disconnected the audio feed (yeah, back when they used dual cables) and connected it to a small tapeplayer we hid in the massive computer case they used way back then.

It was playing the same four 'Goon Show' episodes continuously.

Four days later, the boss steamed up to my mate, and told him to "undo whatever the &%^* the two of you did and put it back." He had the computer tech watch, and the tech laughed his head off when he saw it was a simple 1-2-3 solution.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Shalamar

« Reply #3756 on: May 26, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
Speaking of cameras, there's a security guy in the Calgary airport whom I wish had committed PD, but as far as I know, he's still employed.

My family and I were there a few years ago, waiting to go through the X-rays and scanners before boarding our flight to Los Angeles.    There were a lot of huge, gorgeous photos up on the wall, and my then 12-year-old daughter took a picture of them.  Security guy was there immediately, yelling "DIDN'T YOU SEE THE SIGNS THAT SAY 'NO PHOTOGRAPHY'?"  She hadn't.   Neither had we.   He grabbed her camera and threatened to keep it.   He screamed at her some more.   He reduced her to a hysterical sobbing mess - and then thought to ask how old she was.   "T-twelve."   She looked a lot older, so maybe that's why he yelled so much.   He finally gave her back her camera with a stern warning.

I realize he was only doing his job, but WHY did he have to be such a jerk about it?   I always pictured him coming home from work and telling his wife "I had the BEST day - I made a 12-year-old cry."

Jocelyn

« Reply #3757 on: May 26, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
I had a similar experience in Germany, at a concentration camp museum. I was in a building that housed artwork about the camp. I already knew enough to shoot existing light only. Suddenly, I noticed a guard staring at me. I went back to the entrance, because I was sure I hadn't seen a 'no photography' sign, and there it was...on the BACK of the door I'd come in. Yes, like everyone turns and looks at the back of a door after coming through it! Even so, it would have been a lot more useful if he'd come over to me and said 'Nein' and pointed to the camera- I doubt there are very many non-German-speaking tourists who don't understand 'nein', even if he were one of the few tourism-place employees I met on the trip who didn't speak English. Instead he just glared. I wondered how many people he glared at, who didn't guess what he was angry about, and what sort of interesting assumptions he was coming to about people from other countries.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3758 on: May 26, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »
I had a similar experience in Germany, at a concentration camp museum. I was in a building that housed artwork about the camp. I already knew enough to shoot existing light only. Suddenly, I noticed a guard staring at me. I went back to the entrance, because I was sure I hadn't seen a 'no photography' sign, and there it was...on the BACK of the door I'd come in. Yes, like everyone turns and looks at the back of a door after coming through it! Even so, it would have been a lot more useful if he'd come over to me and said 'Nein' and pointed to the camera- I doubt there are very many non-German-speaking tourists who don't understand 'nein', even if he were one of the few tourism-place employees I met on the trip who didn't speak English. Instead he just glared. I wondered how many people he glared at, who didn't guess what he was angry about, and what sort of interesting assumptions he was coming to about people from other countries.
Sounded like one sour kraut.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3759 on: May 26, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

Throwing ethnic epithets, even vintage ones, isn't really very polite, is it? Note even as a "joke."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NyaChan

« Reply #3760 on: May 26, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »

Throwing ethnic epithets, even vintage ones, isn't really very polite, is it? Note even as a "joke."

Yikes is that an ethnic slur?  I feel bad now for giggling :(  I thought it was a pun for the condiment, but didn't know kraut meant what it means about german people.  Having googled, I am glad I have been better informed!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3761 on: May 26, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

Yikes is that an ethnic slur?  I feel bad now for giggling :(  I thought it was a pun for the condiment, but didn't know kraut meant what it means about german people.  Having googled, I am glad I have been better informed!

Yeah, I thought it was funny too.  Sorry  :-\

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3762 on: May 26, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
Is it any different from Limeys or Yanks?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3763 on: May 26, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
Is it any different from Limeys or Yanks?

Yanks, at least, was used moderately affectionately by the British during WWII. I have never heard of someone of Germanic descent be referred to as a "kraut" except in the most perjorative sense.  In order to keep this thread open, I'll avoid the equivalent terms from the time and later for the Japanese.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3764 on: May 26, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »
My reaction? Ouch. As we say, sometimes it's best to keep quiet unless you know your audience. I guess the tough thing for some is when to know what is or isn't a "know your audience" comment. I only hope katana had no clue that "kraut" can be offensive to a great number of people and this was a lapse in knowledge.

Move on, no further reason to debate the issue.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.