Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1329187 times)

greencat

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3765 on: May 27, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
I had a similar experience in Germany, at a concentration camp museum. I was in a building that housed artwork about the camp. I already knew enough to shoot existing light only. Suddenly, I noticed a guard staring at me. I went back to the entrance, because I was sure I hadn't seen a 'no photography' sign, and there it was...on the BACK of the door I'd come in. Yes, like everyone turns and looks at the back of a door after coming through it! Even so, it would have been a lot more useful if he'd come over to me and said 'Nein' and pointed to the camera- I doubt there are very many non-German-speaking tourists who don't understand 'nein', even if he were one of the few tourism-place employees I met on the trip who didn't speak English. Instead he just glared. I wondered how many people he glared at, who didn't guess what he was angry about, and what sort of interesting assumptions he was coming to about people from other countries.

Perhaps he doesn't actually have the power to enforce the rule but feels rather strongly about it?  Or perhaps you figured out for yourself that you shouldn't be taking photos and stopped before he said something.

Jocelyn

« Reply #3766 on: May 27, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
Or perhaps he decided to give me a pass, since I was shooting existing light. Or maybe he was more concerned about my father and uncle (who were christened Der Jungsters by the German branch of the family, for their frequent sibling bickering that seemed a trifle out of place in octagenarians). But neither of them said anything about being told not to take photos.
But really...putting the sign on the BACK of the door? That really didn't make much sense.

cwm

« Reply #3767 on: May 28, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Okay, I've finally finished the thread and remembered another one.

I used to work for a sporting goods/outdoorsy store. There were plenty of problems with HR and the general manager, but I gritted my teeth and worked through them. That's another post in itself, which will be forthcoming. Then I left for another job. The store manager at my new job's partner worked as a district official in my old job. Not above my old GM, just completely separate departments, but she gave all the information to her partner, who told me because she knew I used to work there and wanted to keep up with things.

As it turns out, there was nearly $20,000 of merchandise missing after I left. Apparently old GM had been stealing items from the store and trying to write them off, but he forgot that he wasn't actually authorized to write off things. It didn't change the day-to-day operations, but when it came to inventory, the Loss Prevention team (who did authorize inventory write-offs) had no knowledge of all this stuff being written off, there was no record of it on their end.

Sadly, old company never prosecuted ANYTHING. I'm not sure if he was fired or given the option to quit, but whichevr it was, it was with no legal action taken against him. But he had decades of management experience.

As it turns out, he was immediately hired to my new company to be the district manager of the neighboring district, but was going to be doing his training in our city. See, because no legal action was taken, and due to a quirk in our company, all they could ask of his old company when they called to verify previous employment was whether or not he was eligible for re-hire, not the manner in which he left the company. He was originally scheduled to train at my store, but I told my store manager (who relayed the theft information) that if he was to be training there, I'd be requesting a temporary transfer to another store or time off, as I never wanted to see him again after some of the things he'd put me through.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3768 on: May 28, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »

As it turns out, there was nearly $20,000 of merchandise missing after I left. Apparently old GM had been stealing items from the store and trying to write them off, but he forgot that he wasn't actually authorized to write off things. It didn't change the day-to-day operations, but when it came to inventory, the Loss Prevention team (who did authorize inventory write-offs) had no knowledge of all this stuff being written off, there was no record of it on their end.
You're lucky that old GM didn't try to claim that YOU stole all this stuff as you left.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3769 on: May 28, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
I was rather expecting her to say that he had!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3770 on: May 28, 2013, 06:01:06 PM »
Holy cow, watching hte episode right now.  Those people are seriously crazy.

"Amy's Baking Company" is hands-down my all-time favorite Ramsey episode. I spent the entire hour alternating between picking my jaw up off the floor, and laughing like a hyena.

Honestly, it's impossible to write something that awesome.
Words mean things.

Aria

« Reply #3771 on: May 28, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »
When I was in college, I worked for the university library. Most of my work was done in a back room where old books and documents were preserved. My first summer there, another student ("Joe") was hired as well. There was a prominent sign in the room saying "no food or drinks." Despite the sign, Joe ate his lunch every day at one of the work tables in the back room, right next to the old materials. The librarians found out, and proceeded to put up a bunch of additional "do not eat" signs, including some on the tables themselves. This didn't stop Joe at all--he continued to eat his lunch at the work table. I finally heard the head librarian telling him that he needed to stop eating there. A couple weeks later, Joe came up to me while I was on my lunch break (outside, I might add) and asked if I would be continuing to work at the library in the fall. He said that the librarians told him that they didn't have enough work for two students, so they wouldn't need him after the summer.

The best part? In the fall, the library hired three new student workers!

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3772 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:24 AM »
((snip)) ... A couple weeks later, Joe came up to me while I was on my lunch break (outside, I might add) and asked if I would be continuing to work at the library in the fall. He said that the librarians told him that they didn't have enough work for two students, so they wouldn't need him after the summer.

They certainly had plenty of cause to get rid of him, and I suppose they wanted to avoid a scene, but they didn't do him any favours by not telling him the real reason he wasn't being kept on.  :-\ I'm a bit twitchy on the subject, ever since I was 'let go' from one job - two weeks before the end of my probationary period, I specifically asked my supervisor if I was doing OK and was there anything I needed to improve on, and was told "Oh, no, you're doing fine". Other people told me "you rock" and "awesome, you're really good at this"... then two weeks later I was told "You don't match the 'corporate fit', so we're not keeping you on."

('Corporate fit'. What the flyin' fruitcake does that even mean, anyway?! >:()
"Set aphasia to stun!"

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3773 on: May 29, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »
((snip)) ... A couple weeks later, Joe came up to me while I was on my lunch break (outside, I might add) and asked if I would be continuing to work at the library in the fall. He said that the librarians told him that they didn't have enough work for two students, so they wouldn't need him after the summer.

They certainly had plenty of cause to get rid of him, and I suppose they wanted to avoid a scene, but they didn't do him any favours by not telling him the real reason he wasn't being kept on.  :-\ I'm a bit twitchy on the subject, ever since I was 'let go' from one job - two weeks before the end of my probationary period, I specifically asked my supervisor if I was doing OK and was there anything I needed to improve on, and was told "Oh, no, you're doing fine". Other people told me "you rock" and "awesome, you're really good at this"... then two weeks later I was told "You don't match the 'corporate fit', so we're not keeping you on."

I had that as well years ago (though I didn't lose my job, I transferred somewhere else).

"Everything is fine. No problem. Project A went well!."
Two months later... "Oh, BTW, you screwed up project A ."

Well, why the <blankety blank> didn't you TELL ME. I could have fixed it two months ago - I can't now!!! >:( >:( >:(
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Shalamar

« Reply #3774 on: May 29, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
A couple of years ago, my daughter (who's a vegan - this is relevant to the story) was given an assignment at school to interview a local businessman or businesswoman.  She found out that there was a new vegan restaurant in town, so she asked the owner if she could interview him.  He agreed, and she had a very good time with the interview - got an A+ on the paper, too.  Therefore, when she found out later that he was hiring new servers, she applied and got the job.  She was over the moon - a chance to work for her hero, and in a restaurant whose ethics she believed in, no less.  It was a dream come true.

A month later, he fired her via e-mail.  Why?  Because she didn't have enough experience.  He knew that when he hired her!  Plus, e-mail?  Really?

NyaChan

« Reply #3775 on: May 29, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

I had that as well years ago (though I didn't lose my job, I transferred somewhere else).

"Everything is fine. No problem. Project A went well!."
Two months later... "Oh, BTW, you screwed up project A ."

Well, why the <blankety blank> didn't you TELL ME. I could have fixed it two months ago - I can't now!!! >:( >:( >:(

Me three.  I went from "Your work is exactly where it needs to be.  You seem like a mature, confident person.  So and so was singing your praises," to "Your work is underdeveloped.  You are too timid and shy."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3776 on: May 29, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
That goes for grades, too.

A young lady was a real perfectionist and A student, and I do mean A. She got an A- on a paper and there was no comment from the professor. She had to make an appointment and the professor asked what she was worried about - it was still an A.

(It wasn't me - I would have been thrilled with an A-.)

cwm

« Reply #3777 on: May 29, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »

You're lucky that old GM didn't try to claim that YOU stole all this stuff as you left.

No, I had left a year beforehand, I just heard all about it when it went down through new manager's partner. Besides, they could trace all the signatures on the sheets destroying them from inventory straight to him, whereas I was a part time salesperson who could barely work a register (I wasn't trained to, nor was it my job), so I had literally zero chance to even see the forms to destroy inventory.

Still, if he crashes and burns from the district manager job, I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I be all that sad. It's just too bad we couldn't warn the new company about it, but as it was priveleged information from his old job, nothing could be done.

Ereine

« Reply #3778 on: May 29, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
This may end up ruining a designer's career.

Marimekko is somewhat famous internationally for really colorful and large prints, in Finland they're everywhere. One of their designers, the daughter of possibly their most famous designer, has admitted to using a Ukranian artist's painting in one of her fabric designs. It was found out when there was a news story about how that design had been chosen to be painted on an airplane and a reader recognised it from a book on Ukranian folk art he had bought in 1960s. I wonder what they're going to do to the plane now.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #3779 on: May 29, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
A couple of years ago, my daughter (who's a vegan - this is relevant to the story) was given an assignment at school to interview a local businessman or businesswoman.  She found out that there was a new vegan restaurant in town, so she asked the owner if she could interview him.  He agreed, and she had a very good time with the interview - got an A+ on the paper, too.  Therefore, when she found out later that he was hiring new servers, she applied and got the job.  She was over the moon - a chance to work for her hero, and in a restaurant whose ethics she believed in, no less.  It was a dream come true.

A month later, he fired her via e-mail.  Why?  Because she didn't have enough experience.  He knew that when he hired her!  Plus, e-mail?  Really?

Just a guess, but I assume "You don't have enough experience" is the polite way of saying "You are not catching on as quickly as we'd hoped. You tend to mess up orders / forget to count your register / whatever else, even after gentle hints on how to correct it"

This may end up ruining a designer's career.

I love the parts about "sorry for the inconvenience" and "I loved it so much that I just wanted to share it with everyone"  ::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:59:41 PM by TeamBhakta »