Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1376943 times)

lilfox

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3780 on: May 29, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
I had that as well years ago (though I didn't lose my job, I transferred somewhere else).

"Everything is fine. No problem. Project A went well!."
Two months later... "Oh, BTW, you screwed up project A ."

Well, why the <blankety blank> didn't you TELL ME. I could have fixed it two months ago - I can't now!!! >:( >:( >:(

A grad school professor pulled this on me.  I asked him for an interim review of a paper that was a significant part of my grade.  He said it was just fine as is and had no suggestions for improvements.

When I got my lower-than-expected grade back, I scheduled a conference with him, where he told me that he deliberately didn't help me when I asked because it wouldn't have been "fair" to the other students.  He also pulled the "it's not a bad grade, don't worry about it" which was completely beside the point.  The conversation went downhill from there, with him telling me pre-emptively that filing a complaint would get me nowhere (I never mentioned formally complaining) and I had demonstrated "ignorance" in his classroom (by asking questions).

Unfortunately, neither his dismissive behavior towards students nor his eventual mishandling of a major department was enough to induce PD.  To add insult to injury, I still have to see him at professional conferences where he always wants to "catch up."  Ugh.

Shalamar

« Reply #3781 on: May 29, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
You're probably right, TeamBhakta - it was my daughter's first job as a server.  She'd come through the training with no problems, though, and he really didn't give her much of a chance (she'd worked two half-shifts before he let her go).   I still think firing her via e-mail wasn't a nice thing to do. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3782 on: May 29, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »
That goes for grades, too.

A young lady was a real perfectionist and A student, and I do mean A. She got an A- on a paper and there was no comment from the professor. She had to make an appointment and the professor asked what she was worried about - it was still an A.

(It wasn't me - I would have been thrilled with an A-.)

I had a teacher who only gave out C's.  He told my parents at a conference that I was doing very well in his class, which confused the heck out of them because I'd gotten a C.  "Oh but that's GOOD for my class!!"  ::)  He also had no suggestions for how I could bring my grade up.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BarensMom

« Reply #3783 on: May 29, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
You're probably right, TeamBhakta - it was my daughter's first job as a server.  She'd come through the training with no problems, though, and he really didn't give her much of a chance (she'd worked two half-shifts before he let her go).   I still think firing her via e-mail wasn't a nice thing to do.

That's a common scam amongst restaurants - hire someone as a "trainee," work them for a few days as needed, then fire them before they can be considered an employee.

There's a popular burger joint in the Bay Area that was known for this back in the 70's & 80's - hire youngsters and work them into the ground for a short period of time, with the promise of a raise at the end of their "training period (usually 90 days).  No one I knew ever made it past 89 days - they would be fired for some bogus reason.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3784 on: May 29, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
That goes for grades, too.

A young lady was a real perfectionist and A student, and I do mean A. She got an A- on a paper and there was no comment from the professor. She had to make an appointment and the professor asked what she was worried about - it was still an A.

(It wasn't me - I would have been thrilled with an A-.)

I had a teacher who only gave out C's.  He told my parents at a conference that I was doing very well in his class, which confused the heck out of them because I'd gotten a C.  "Oh but that's GOOD for my class!!"  ::)  He also had no suggestions for how I could bring my grade up.

Teachers that do this aren't helping anyone.  Every college in the country doesn't keep track of how hard  teachers in every school grade.  It would make no difference if that 'C' didn't mean anything, but it could keep a deserving student out of a college with the program that was the best fit.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3785 on: May 29, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
This guy liked to say "I'm getting them ready for college!  They'll grade like this in college!"   Pshh whatever.  Mind you I didn't go to an Ivy League school by any means, just a school that was, at the time, part of the University of Maryland system and I got very good grades in English classes.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

GirlyGirl

« Reply #3786 on: May 29, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »
Shortly after high school, I worked at two part time jobs.  One was a hospital and the other was a clothing retailer.  One day, the regional manager was at the clothing store, and an employee was caught ringing up a sale for her friends.  The problem was, this was before price scanners, and the employee was putting in things like $0.57 for a shirt, and there was a whole bunch of stuff.  The employee was fired immediately.

A few years later, I was working full time at the hospital.  My department worked with HR, and so I got left to man the office when the entire small HR department had some sort of event offsite.  My former coworker came in and filled out an application.  When the HR people returned, I told them why this woman had been fired when I worked with her before, but they hired her anyway!  I never could understand the motivations of the people in that HR department.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #3787 on: May 29, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »
As a hiring manager, I found the whole "you can't verify anything except for the dates the person worked for you and whether or not they are eligible for rehire" to be incredibly frustrating.  If I fired you for cause, don't you think the next person who is considering hiring you should know that you stole, or that you falsified your time card, or that you screamed at your manager, "F*** you, you b****"?  *I* would certainly like to have known that before I hired you.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3788 on: May 30, 2013, 02:24:38 AM »
Just read an email exchange that looks like a combo of potential PD and plain demanding snowflakeyness...

PD: The company I work for provides a service to clients. We're in the process of taking on a new client. The client project manager just replied to a request email for information scolding by our Project Manager for asking for information that had apparently already been provided (he's a new project manager here, and new on the project and probably did make a mistake by not asking for all the information from our side first, so that particular fault was a genuine complaint that our PM should have avoided).

But the snowflakey bit came when the client PM also included a very scolding diatribe about how it looked unprofessional to have all the emails in the email reply chain in different fonts, so she had reformatted all the emails below her reply into one font, and demanded we comply with that as well in all future communication, or she would be looking for a new service provider. So when replying to her or just emailing her anything, we are expected to change the font we use for all our company communication to match her font in her emails.

That's a whole new level of demanding.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3789 on: May 30, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
Just read an email exchange that looks like a combo of potential PD and plain demanding snowflakeyness...

PD: The company I work for provides a service to clients. We're in the process of taking on a new client. The client project manager just replied to a request email for information scolding by our Project Manager for asking for information that had apparently already been provided (he's a new project manager here, and new on the project and probably did make a mistake by not asking for all the information from our side first, so that particular fault was a genuine complaint that our PM should have avoided).

But the snowflakey bit came when the client PM also included a very scolding diatribe about how it looked unprofessional to have all the emails in the email reply chain in different fonts, so she had reformatted all the emails below her reply into one font, and demanded we comply with that as well in all future communication, or she would be looking for a new service provider. So when replying to her or just emailing her anything, we are expected to change the font we use for all our company communication to match her font in her emails.

I don't know, is this client going to be worth the hassle?

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #3790 on: May 30, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »

Survey Says NO!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3791 on: May 30, 2013, 05:38:15 AM »

Survey Says NO!
We have no choice in the matter. Management says to bring them on board and work with them, no matter how demanding or rediculous they are. <shrug>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

eltf177

« Reply #3792 on: May 30, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »

Survey Says NO!
We have no choice in the matter. Management says to bring them on board and work with them, no matter how demanding or rediculous they are. <shrug>

Of course Management wants this client, Management doesn't have to be the one dealing with them!

Lauds

« Reply #3793 on: May 30, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »

Survey Says NO!

Did she actually specify that her font be used? Because it would be fairly easy to just select all and change everything to the same font of your choice. Every time. Every reply - including hers.

Come to think of it, how would you know for sure what font she uses? What if you don't have that particular font?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3794 on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »

Survey Says NO!

Did she actually specify that her font be used? Because it would be fairly easy to just select all and change everything to the same font of your choice. Every time. Every reply - including hers.

Come to think of it, how would you know for sure what font she uses? What if you don't have that particular font?

Ten to one it's Comic Sans.