Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1414281 times)

Cami

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3795 on: May 30, 2013, 08:16:09 AM »
As a hiring manager, I found the whole "you can't verify anything except for the dates the person worked for you and whether or not they are eligible for rehire" to be incredibly frustrating.  If I fired you for cause, don't you think the next person who is considering hiring you should know that you stole, or that you falsified your time card, or that you screamed at your manager, "F*** you, you b****"?  *I* would certainly like to have known that before I hired you.
And then you have my former boss who never checked any references, just went on her "gut instinct." We found this out when -- after she'd left to go to a new job -- a new hire she'd made turned out to be whackadoodle and incompetent. Woman was not only whackadoodle, she made the rest of us crazy too. I developed an eye twitch, another person had to go on high blood pressure meds, etc. Our new boss was so perplexed that this person had been hired, that he then called the references this employee listed on her application. Every single one of them said something like, "You know, I'm not supposed to say anything other than the dates of employment, but I'd make an exception in this case to warn others away from this person. She was not only incompetent, she's whackadoodle, drives everyone crazy, but also her behavior was such that she actually RUINED the program she was running. We had to close it down after she left because she's burnt all of our bridges." One reference even said, "I'm not supposed to give details, but I feel it's my duty as a human being to warn others away from her."

Amazingly enough, she had put these people who hated her down as references and she then put our boss down as a reference too. Even more amazing, he's never gotten a call asking for a reference and we know she's been through at least 6 jobs since then -- so apparently a lot of people don't even bother calling for references any more.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3796 on: May 30, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #3797 on: May 30, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
Amy's Baking Company will be having their own reality show.  >:(

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/05/amys-baking-company-reality-tv-deal-kitchen-nightmares/

That just seems to be rewarding bad behavior.  *sigh*
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3798 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/05/amys-baking-company-reality-tv-deal-kitchen-nightmares/
What the ever loving...I hope it's to pay for a good lawyer...
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3799 on: May 30, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
My own PD situation, featuring players 1 and 2.

1, a front desk staff member, has been told repeatedly that other than very general information, all student calls come to me or my boss. I was talking to our office manager yesterday, and overhear misinformation being told to a student on the phone. I asked him about it afterwards, and he didn't bother to check facts before telling this student something completely inaccurate. So easy to check!

2, an admissions staff member, will be forever known as Moaning Myrtle. She sent a request to me late last week, and I completed it and responded on Tuesday. Today, she sent me a text wanting to know if I had seen the request. Then went into a diatribe about her medical procedure Tuesday that kept her from seeing the email. I informed her that the email was still there, even after Tuesday. In the end, I had to send the email again. Since then, I discovered she has over 3000 unread emails.  ::)

Amara

« Reply #3800 on: May 30, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »

Several comments were more crude variations of this one, with which I agree: Not gonna happen. Not even enough sustainable interest for anyone to put up the production costs.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:38:33 AM by Amara »

darling

« Reply #3801 on: May 30, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
Not sure if this turned into Professional Darwinism or not, as we didn't stick around to find out.

My friend and I were working an outdoor event this weekend (and it rained ALL weekend, and was COLD). Sunday afternoon, the skies opened and it rained harder than I have ever seen it rain in my life. It rained so much that a couple of the parking areas flooded. It rained so much that we were wondering if we would ever be able to leave after the event closed. We were cold, and wet by the time we got out of there an hour after closing.

So anyway, we finally got back to the motel after several miles of white-knuckled driving (separate cars). After a couple of minutes of changing into clean dry clothes, we decided we were starving for HOT FOOD (cheese, crackers, and summer sausage only go so far!). We were staying in a small town where everything was closed on Sunday, so we ended up driving a couple of exits down the interstate. I had remembered that there was a restaurant attached to a hotel at this exit, and remembered it as being very good.

We walked in at 7:40 pm, to overhear the person at the front desk snipping into the phone: "Well, you could get a to-go order, but we close in 10 minutes!" After a couple of minutes of this, the manager came out and took us to a booth. I asked if they were closing at 8, and if it was okay for us to be there, and he assured us that it was fine, and he'd get us served.

After a couple of minutes of looking at the menu (which was... uninspiring), we still hadn't been asked for drink orders. At this point, the woman who had been snipping on the phone started into a diatribe in front of the whole restaurant: "We close at 8! Not 8:15, not 8:10, not 8:05! 8!!!!!"  :o

At this point, I looked at my friend, looked at the menu, closed the menu, and told my friend that I just couldn't eat there. We left quietly. When I got out of the door, I was shaking and apologizing to my friend, and said that I just couldn't eat at a place like that, where I didn't feel welcome. She agreed. That was the first time I had ever left a restaurant after being seated.

We ended up at another restaurant at that same exit, and the experience couldn't have been more different. We were welcomed immediately, seated promptly, drink orders taken right away, and had AMAZING food and service. This place also closed at 8, but the waitress never made us feel rushed. I could have tried everything on the menu, as it all sounded AWESOME. We were out of there shortly after 8, and left a large tip for treating us so well.

Both of us agreed that we made the right choice to leave the original restaurant, and wondered if the manager had talked to the loud-mouth about her behavior in front of customers. That woman was just so offensive and mean. There were several tables of families with kids at that restaurant, and I can't believe that she went off like that. I doubt she was fired, but jeesh, I'll bet the manager was pretty unhappy with her after we left...

Shalamar

« Reply #3802 on: May 30, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
I just heard about this particular PD on another forum.  The poster works in a library.  She had a colleague whose work was less than stellar - he was still making silly mistakes after being there for six months.  His supervisor took him aside to have a little discussion about his performance - nothing major, just a "Here's some areas where you could stand some improvement" discussion.

He apparently got so angry that she was daring to criticize him that he screamed at her - loud enough so that he was heard through a closed door - "WOMAN, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU'RE SPEAKING TO?".   :o 

He was out the door 15 minutes later.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3803 on: May 30, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
I guess he figured out that was not a successful tactic.

DH had a great deal of culture shock when he was stationed in Germany. The bars and restaurants on their post were run by locals, and if it says on the door that the business closes at 5, that means the employees walk out at 5, so they stop serving at 4:30. Fascinating, and completely different from what we do in the US!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3804 on: May 30, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
This may end up ruining a designer's career.

Marimekko is somewhat famous internationally for really colorful and large prints, in Finland they're everywhere. One of their designers, the daughter of possibly their most famous designer, has admitted to using a Ukranian artist's painting in one of her fabric designs. It was found out when there was a news story about how that design had been chosen to be painted on an airplane and a reader recognised it from a book on Ukranian folk art he had bought in 1960s. I wonder what they're going to do to the plane now.
“I didn’t think about copyright or that I appropriated someone else’s creative work. “Forest folk” felt so close to me and I wanted to share that forest feeling with as many people as possible,” she said.
In that case, you contact the original artist and pay her for the use of her designs.  This was a folk-style design with a known artist, not a traditional folk design that is in the public domain.

At least she didn't try to griggs her way out.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MrTango

« Reply #3805 on: May 30, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
Just read an email exchange that looks like a combo of potential PD and plain demanding snowflakeyness...

PD: The company I work for provides a service to clients. We're in the process of taking on a new client. The client project manager just replied to a request email for information scolding by our Project Manager for asking for information that had apparently already been provided (he's a new project manager here, and new on the project and probably did make a mistake by not asking for all the information from our side first, so that particular fault was a genuine complaint that our PM should have avoided).

But the snowflakey bit came when the client PM also included a very scolding diatribe about how it looked unprofessional to have all the emails in the email reply chain in different fonts, so she had reformatted all the emails below her reply into one font, and demanded we comply with that as well in all future communication, or she would be looking for a new service provider. So when replying to her or just emailing her anything, we are expected to change the font we use for all our company communication to match her font in her emails.

That's a whole new level of demanding.

I don't know, is this client going to be worth the hassle?

Survey Says NO!
We have no choice in the matter. Management says to bring them on board and work with them, no matter how demanding or rediculous they are. <shrug>

Did she actually specify that her font be used? Because it would be fairly easy to just select all and change everything to the same font of your choice. Every time. Every reply - including hers.

Come to think of it, how would you know for sure what font she uses? What if you don't have that particular font?

Ten to one it's Comic Sans.

I'd refuse on that grounds that altering the font and size of previous email messages could be construed as falsifying the content.

Ereine

« Reply #3806 on: May 30, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »

Marimekko is somewhat famous internationally for really colorful and large prints, in Finland they're everywhere. One of their designers, the daughter of possibly their most famous designer, has admitted to using a Ukranian artist's painting in one of her fabric designs. It was found out when there was a news story about how that design had been chosen to be painted on an airplane and a reader recognised it from a book on Ukranian folk art he had bought in 1960s. I wonder what they're going to do to the plane now.
“I didn’t think about copyright or that I appropriated someone else’s creative work. “Forest folk” felt so close to me and I wanted to share that forest feeling with as many people as possible,” she said.
In that case, you contact the original artist and pay her for the use of her designs.  This was a folk-style design with a known artist, not a traditional folk design that is in the public domain.

It's come out that she has possibly used at least one other designer's work, this time it was a Finnish jewelry designer. Her mother created some the company's most iconic designs and the daughter has spent much of her career modifying those designs (with permission) so maybe for her it wasn't such a big deal.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #3807 on: May 31, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »

Sorry but Google has failed me - what does the bolded mean? Did you make it up?  ???
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Ereine

« Reply #3808 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »

Sorry but Google has failed me - what does the bolded mean? Did you make it up?  ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooks_Source_infringement_controversy

Reika

« Reply #3809 on: May 31, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »

I think this is what she means: http://www.soslang.com/term/griggs