Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1291573 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #3825 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
When my daughter was taking Driver's Ed at school, the instructor gave the usual lecture about how the only blood-alcohol level the police would accept was 0.0 (until the driver reached a certain age - 21, I think).    The mother of one of the kids put up her hand and said "My son likes to have a few beers when he goes to parties.  He can still drive afterwards, right?"  The instructor somehow managed to not roll her eyes and said "No.  0.0 means no alcohol, period."  "Oh.  But just one would be okay, right?"   ::)

That may vary by state, when I took Driver's Ed in 1999 (in Washington State), we were taught that the legal limit for under-21 year olds was .02, since certain items like mouthwash could register on a breathlyser.

It's changed in the intervening 14 years.   All 50 states have now set .08% BAC as the legal limit for Driving Under the Influence. For commercial drivers, a BAC of .04% can result in a DUI conviction nationwide. For those under 21, there is a zero tolerance limit―any amount of alcohol is grounds for a DUI arrest.  States who didn't comply faced the loss of Federal highway dollars.

Shalamar's example, though, shows that there is a determined effort to find the "I'm Special, Right?" loophole for drinking and driving.
"We ate the pies."

Jocelyn

« Reply #3826 on: June 04, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
At the media outlet I used to work for, there were several jobs that required frequent driving. Sales, reporters, photographers, etc. One such person had evidently had a DUI but it was a first offense, so he could still drive for work (or whatever those rules are).

Well, he had to go to a probation hearing. His *own* probation hearing – for that DUI. Dingbat shows up drunk. We aren’t even given an option to find a work-around, corporate (via the employee handbook) required he be fired immediately and we spent the rest of the day (week, month, year, as they refused to replace him) scrambling to cover his work.

A friend of mine was a regular speaker at MADD meetings, where we used to live.  The county where we lived mandated that anyone convicted of a DUI in any form had to attend a MADD impact-statement meeting.  Everyone had to be registered, had to be signed in and signed out when they left.  And breathalyzed.  The only acceptable reading was 0.00 .

She told me that at least four people at every one of these events (which were held about every month and had about 200 mandated attendees) were over the legal drinking limit.  If I didn't know her to be a completely truthful person, I would have had some doubts.   But it was true - some attendees drank while on their way to a mandated legal consequence for breaking the law when drinking.

Mind boggle.
I teach on an alcohol-free campus. We found booze bottles hidden in the restrooms one night after a meeting for persons on probation for DUI was held in the building- it was repeated again the next time the class met. Apparently the guys were showing up early and getting schnockered in the mens room every week.

EveLGenius

« Reply #3827 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
A security guard where I work has finally finished committing PD.  Important B/G- he's been working there a lot longer than I have, and was very senior, although not a supervisor.

He had always been one of those people who loves to talk.  In fact, it's hard to get away from him when he starts talking, and on occasion, he'd follow you down the hall, talking.  That was overlooked for years.

He loves to be In Charge.  He knows Everything About Everything, especially about how our facility security is run.  In the last two years, he began committing PD by suddenly deciding that our security procedures needed to be changed, and changing them.  Without coordinating with a) his supervisor, or b) the people who actually, you know, write the security plans.  Then he'd train everyone junior to him or new to the company on the procedures that existed only in his mind.

In the last year, his need to be In Charge really got stronger.  He started staying late after his shift, and doing security-type stuff without authorization.  For example, at one point he interfered with a drill by directing the Fire Department to go someplace that they weren't expected to be.  He was off-duty at the time, so he didn't have a radio, and since the security guard who was on duty couldn't leave her post, she couldn't stop him.  He got written up for that.

Then he started showing up before his shift to do security-type stuff.  Now, the things he was doing were all valid tasks, but he was doing them wrong, and they weren't his responsibility because he wasn't on duty.  His final act of PD came when the head of security discovered him coming in half an hour before the evening shift, and walking the rounds of the buildings before his shift started.  He had no radio and no keys (the on-duty officer had them), so he would *prop the doors open*.  This kind of negates the point of, you know, security.  He was banned from our facility, and because that's a fireable offense at his company, he was fired.

Gyburc

« Reply #3828 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »
I’m not sure if this is a clear-cut case of Professional Darwinism, but I found it quite funny.

DH and I are looking to book a holiday this summer, a chance to get away before Gyburclet arrives and things become Complicated. ;D  We are considering going to the South of France (we are in the UK).

So I went to one of the local travel agencies, and spoke to a young employee to get an idea of what was available. I have to note in the employee’s defence that he had only been working there for 3 weeks, and that he had recently moved from Australia, so I was prepared for him to need to check a few details, and not to be too familiar with French place-names. I could always spell things out if necessary.

However, his approach to foreign place-names really floored me. ‘Oh, I just type them in the way they sound and Google usually corrects them for me.’ He wasn’t kidding.

‘Languedoc’ got written down in his notebook as ‘lang dawk’. He couldn’t find any links for Perpignan airport, because he had typed ‘Perpignan’ as ‘Papillon’. (‘Oh, there’s a film called Papillon, isn’t there? I guess it’s spelled differently.’)

Since we are looking for a self-catering holiday, he started looking for rental properties online without much success. ‘I don’t think there are any.’ I suggested he might try searching for ‘gites’ (French for holiday rentals), and spelled it out letter by letter. ‘Oh, OK!’ he said, and wrote down ‘j-e-g-i-s-t’.

After about 20 minutes, I gave up and told him my lunch break was nearly over. He promised to send me further details by email, but since he insisted on misspelling my name when he wrote it down, I really don’t think I’m ever going to hear back from him.

I don’t think he is going to be in that job for much longer, somehow…
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

cwm

« Reply #3829 on: June 05, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
My home city had one last year, and how could I possibly forget it? It was half a mile from my house!

The president of the City Council gave his secure access card to City Hall to a homeless man. He personally vouched for this homeless man, saying that despite his past history of drug abuse, it was perfectly safe to have him in City Hall overnight because he was such a good guy, y'know? He was a FRIEND, and a GOOD GUY. Except being a friend and a good guy, the councilman still didn't trust the homeless guy in his own home with his wife and kids. And there's apparently evidence that the homeless man was accessing secure rooms (full access keycard, remember) and stealing things. Not sure what he took, but still.

The kicker? The councilman didn't resign. The DA had to bring charges against him to get him removed from office. Except it won't go to trial until next September. He's STILL the City Council president. And now he's acting like a buffoon (trying to walk out in roll call in official meetings, for one).

In this moment, I'm not proud of my city or its politicians.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3830 on: June 05, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
My home city had one last year, and how could I possibly forget it? It was half a mile from my house!

The president of the City Council gave his secure access card to City Hall to a homeless man. He personally vouched for this homeless man, saying that despite his past history of drug abuse, it was perfectly safe to have him in City Hall overnight because he was such a good guy, y'know? He was a FRIEND, and a GOOD GUY. Except being a friend and a good guy, the councilman still didn't trust the homeless guy in his own home with his wife and kids. And there's apparently evidence that the homeless man was accessing secure rooms (full access keycard, remember) and stealing things. Not sure what he took, but still.

The kicker? The councilman didn't resign. The DA had to bring charges against him to get him removed from office. Except it won't go to trial until next September. He's STILL the City Council president. And now he's acting like a buffoon (trying to walk out in roll call in official meetings, for one).

Jaw meeting desk hurts a lot.

We have had officials who were cheerfully and unapolegetically (until they got caught) doing drugs, we have had mayors whose hands were so deep in the till all that could be seen of them was their shoes as they leaned in further and further, we are home to at least one representative who was cheerfully ripping off his constituents,  we have city leaders who have been caught on camera spending days and days at home when they claim to be at work....but NONE of them was ever stupid enough to pull a stunt like this. 

How do people like this keep getting in office?

MrTango

« Reply #3831 on: June 05, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »

We have had officials who were cheerfully and unapolegetically (until they got caught) doing drugs, we have had mayors whose hands were so deep in the till all that could be seen of them was their shoes as they leaned in further and further, we are home to at least one representative who was cheerfully ripping off his constituents,  we have city leaders who have been caught on camera spending days and days at home when they claim to be at work....but NONE of them was ever stupid enough to pull a stunt like this. 

So, you live in Chicago?  ;)

daisy1679

« Reply #3832 on: June 05, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »

Ha, I was just going to ask if she lives in Detroit  ;D

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3833 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »

If they're anything like the former mayor in my hometown, extortion and racketeering...until the FBI raids their home and office.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3834 on: June 05, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

Toronto.   ;D

Yarnspinner

« Reply #3835 on: June 05, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »

Toronto.   ;D

Would love to add to this but don't want to get the thread shut down! 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3836 on: June 06, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »
I hired a new jnr manager in my team last year.   It was partly because I was pregnant and reviewing my workload, but also we're a rapidly growing organisation and it was always a new role we had planned on creating.  Some really great long-term potential for advancement in the role.  Amy applied and was very excited as she said this was her dream role.  She had good industry experience too.  Initially the role was to be part-time, which she happily accepted, however on her first day I asked if she would like to do fulltime as I'd relooked at the workload and decided we could justify it.  She accepted.    Note that I work from home or remotely a lot, as does my manager.  The CEO is my boss (and owns the company) and I am the next most senior person in the organisation. 

At first I thought Amy was great.   But within a few weeks she:

-Started complaining to one of the other department managers about her pay, saying how hard it was for her to survive on her salary and asking the other manager whether she should go to CEO (my boss) to ask for a payrise.  I wonder how she would have coped with the originally agreed part-time salary then?
-Started showing up at 9:15 or 9:30 to work, even though we had agreed she could start at 9am (usual office hours are 8:30am).  Never called ahead.
-Constantly spoke to my other staff about her whereabouts etc instead of reporting to me, and if she did go "up" went over my head to the CEO to talk to her about problems or ask for her assistance.
-Would not bother checking her emails regularly, and often ignore emails from me completely
-When travelling for work would not check her email at all despite having a company supplied iPhone
-Would tell me to my face that she was going to complete particular tasks, then not bother.

Note that I only took 3 weeks of maternity leave (which was in February, she started in October), so there's no reason why she would think she reported directly to the CEO instead of to me.   Our management structure is very clear!   I also reminded her multiple times of my expectations.   I would have face to face meetings with her at least twice per week, then follow-up with emails.  Nothing changed.  It felt as though she was completely ignoring me.

That irritated me, but it wasn't why I fired her just two months after I returned from maternity leave.   Nope.    I fired her because she couldn't manage her staff.  She referred to them as "cows" in front of the administration staff, constantly complained about things that they did... and the problems worsened because she didn't bother following up on any issues that arised.   The training for new hires that used to take me 8 hours to run she would deliver in 3, the workers would then make mistakes, and she wouldn't bother correcting them.   She was also taking the administration staff out for drinks a lot - which is fine, personal relationships outside of work can be great - but she encouraged them to goof off during the workday too significantly damaging morale in the office.  Because of her later start (at her request) she only had a 30min lunch break unlike the rest of my staff who had 1 hour, despite this she would go out for long lunches with them.

Basically, she put a great deal of effort into inserting herself with the CEO (who saw right through it and wasn't interested) and with the administration staff (who she buddied with) but didn't bother with the people she should actually have concerned herself with, e.g. the staff she was supposed to manage and me who she was accountable to.   Last I heard she had claimed unemployment and couldn't find another job.  She told one of my staff that she had been fired because "nobody thought Ceallach would be back at work so soon from maternity leave, and the company can't afford both of us".      Yeah.  Nope. I actually intended on taking less time - I only delayed returning because my parents came to stay!    And her replacement has been doing such an amazing job that she's already had a promotion and payrise since starting 2 months ago!!  She has fixed all of the problems Amy caused and turned the team completely around.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3837 on: June 06, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »
That goes for grades, too.

A young lady was a real perfectionist and A student, and I do mean A. She got an A- on a paper and there was no comment from the professor. She had to make an appointment and the professor asked what she was worried about - it was still an A.

(It wasn't me - I would have been thrilled with an A-.)

I had a teacher who only gave out C's.  He told my parents at a conference that I was doing very well in his class, which confused the heck out of them because I'd gotten a C.  "Oh but that's GOOD for my class!!"  ::)  He also had no suggestions for how I could bring my grade up.

Its very annoying when teachers don't have the same concept of grades as other teachers/schools.  My daughter was getting the equivalent of C's for her interim marking period grades Senior English Class in an International High School.  Normally she was an A student.  THe teacher said that she hadn't learned everything for the course yet, so how can she be getting a B or A.  That might work well in the British system where they mostly care about your final test grades when going to college, but not for the American system where they want to know your GPA as you go along.  She ended up getting the equivalent of a B for her final grade and on the final test that all students take across the world.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3838 on: June 06, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
Ceallach, I just don't want to believe someone like that exists. Good riddance!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #3839 on: June 06, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
DH once worked in the kitchen of a restaurant that made him sign a confidentiality agreement with regards to their BBQ sauce (they were afraid people would take their recipe and use it elsewhere). It didn't come directly from a can - it was the contents of a few different cans mixed together. Nothing fresh in it at all, just open cans and mix in the right proportion.
Yeah, I can see why they wouldn't want people to get that recipe! ;D  Then they could make it themselves - at home - making it truly "home made." >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius