A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (792/1235) > >>

RegionMom:
Or if we are having a parent meeting at school for organizing a class event, and one parent pops in with, "I cannot do the petting zoo because my doctor hands are too delicate and anyway, I can't do it that day because I have to perform a surgery scheduled for that time!"  instead of, "ok, Jane will take face painting, and Bob will take ball toss.  Now let's talk about snack ideas."

Tossing in a title just for the purpose of what most would read as pompousness is annoying.  I would much rather work a school event with "Christie, John's mom who is making gluten free brownies and likes horses, so much more than working with Doctor Jones who will correct every group rotation that stops by the sack races. 

"Hi, Susie's mom!"
"Actually, it is Dr. Jones."
"oh, can I just take my turn now?"

when I work at a school, in front of the students we call each other Mrs. Brown, Miss Smith, Dr. Jones.  When it is alone in the teacher workroom or after school, we are Janice, Blythe, and Robert. 
If Robert insisted we call him Dr. Jones, we would not be offering to share workroom treats with him so much, because friends tend to call each other by first names, not titles. 

A title is a sign of respect, and keeps a professional distance.  if someone insists on tossing up that barrier, in non-professional settings, so be it.  (pool parties, grocery store, school kid event, walking the dog) But understand that (general) you may be missing out on some great potential friendships and learning opportunities.

Speaking of schools, there may be a newish teacher slowly walking a path of PD--

she comes in late daily, and the other teachers notice.  She tends to leave early, also.  She does not attend special events, even though she has been asked to.  All teachers share space, yet she has demanded that her room be kept empty even after school when co-curricular events and tutoring occur all over campus.  she has had other teachers change their schedules to accommodate her.  her clothing is a bit 'sexy' in nature, at this conservative school.  her workload has been cut a fair bit, but she still appears very stressed.  She was chosen as a darling candidate for this position, so it may still take a while for her PD steps to be fully recognized. 

DoubleTrouble:

--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on June 12, 2013, 04:42:42 PM ---An amusing and practical exception to that: my aunt L has a doctorate in biology and taught college biology for many years. When my grandmother was quite old and in the hospital, that aunt (rather than my mother or other aunt) was Speaker to the Hospital as much as possible, and she would always introduce herself as "Dr. B" rather than "Ms. B." It got more respect and more detailed medical information. This worked because her degree is in biology (rather than chemistry or ancient history), so she understood the details and could and did ask appropriate questions. (My mother could, in theory, have insisted on being "Dr R" even though she doesn't have a doctorate, but the same information phrased the same way would not have been useful to her.)

--- End quote ---

When my cousin's husband was in the ICU, his mother tried to pull that stunt because she has a PhD. In education. Which I fully respect but when your son is in the ICU & none of the very smart MDs at a major research hospital known for their skill at fixing people can figure out what is wrong with him that is not the time to insist all the doctors & nurses call you Dr. X. There are more important things to worry about.

RegionMom:
I witnessed my brother play the doctor card once, at a hospital where he did not have privileges since it was another state!

Our other brother had a newborn baby that needed to be transferred to a specialized hospital, but the small hospital was dragging its feet, not so concerned since they believed the baby was dying, what was the point?  (they were not even making sure NICU visitors were gloved or scrubbed or masked)

DB, the medical doctor, called somewhere and said, "This is Doctor Brother, and I need status NOW on baby xyz..." and he got answers about the transfer quicker than the parents or the charge nurse. 

And that baby is now in grade school, after a few successful surgeries and in-home care. 

Mom still will brag that DB saved other brother's child's life. 

(It was just a phone call, but playing the doctor card DID light a fire)
 >:D

I did ask him later, "wouldn't the person on the other end of the phone recognize that you and the baby had the same (slightly unusual) last name?"

And he said that if you speak with the right tone and ask the correct questions, the answers usually come forth.  He said they are used to hearing, "This is Doctor Whatever, get me whatever" so he tried it at this hospital and it worked!

Coralreef:
I'm not sure if I posted it before. 

Way back, when I was a sales rep., we had a golf tournament (how cliché is that?) and the big boss was there, along with customers, other sales reps, suppliers, etc.

Once dinner was over and prizes distributed, everyone started to leave. One of the sales rep got to his car and drove over the grass median of the parking lot.  We heard the "clank" of abused undercarriage.  He rolled down his window and yelled "It's OK, it's a company car!".  Big boss replied "Not anymore!"  The guy did not last long after that.

Katana_Geldar:

--- Quote from: RegionMom on June 17, 2013, 02:00:19 PM ---I witnessed my brother play the doctor card once, at a hospital where he did not have privileges since it was another state!

Our other brother had a newborn baby that needed to be transferred to a specialized hospital, but the small hospital was dragging its feet, not so concerned since they believed the baby was dying, what was the point?  (they were not even making sure NICU visitors were gloved or scrubbed or masked)

DB, the medical doctor, called somewhere and said, "This is Doctor Brother, and I need status NOW on baby xyz..." and he got answers about the transfer quicker than the parents or the charge nurse. 

And that baby is now in grade school, after a few successful surgeries and in-home care. 

Mom still will brag that DB saved other brother's child's life. 

(It was just a phone call, but playing the doctor card DID light a fire)
 >:D

I did ask him later, "wouldn't the person on the other end of the phone recognize that you and the baby had the same (slightly unusual) last name?"

And he said that if you speak with the right tone and ask the correct questions, the answers usually come forth.  He said they are used to hearing, "This is Doctor Whatever, get me whatever" so he tried it at this hospital and it worked!

--- End quote ---
That's called a Bavarian Fire Drill and its surprising how it works sometimes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version