Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1421193 times)

Shalamar

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4035 on: July 11, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
Hmm, I see your point.   Part of the issue is that my boss isn't their boss, so even though she's "above" them, rank-wise, she doesn't have any real authority over them.  If I were to complain to her, I know she'd go to their boss and demand that he deal with them, but I don't want to be the bad guy.

It does kind of make me shake my head, though.  When we were little, if the teacher said "(Name), stop talking!", that would be enough to put fear into our hearts - we wouldn't keep talking and laugh at the teacher!

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #4036 on: July 11, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
I'm not sure if this qualifies but I had a doozy today.
We just bought a house (because pregnancy + moving in the ninth month is a brilliant idea- I recommend it, not at all) and our loan officer and agent have been great all the way through the process.
The sellers agent not so much. We found out at close of escrow that both the sellers and the sellers agent had neglected to notice that they sold us their appliances with the home. It's in the contract, they're ours at this point (and to be fair, it was written in when we countered with an increased bid of 10k over what our initial bid was, so they still made more money than the price of the appliances) and we're scheduled to move in on Monday.
Their agent emailed our agent after a week or so of non-response today to inform her that "yes, we are aware of our contractual obligation to leave these items, and at this point I am paying for them out of pocket, so if either you or the buyers could reimburse me a portion of XYZ, I'd appreciate it."
 :o
My agent replied back for us that that would not be possible. But... yeah.
I just can't believe that's appropriate!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4037 on: July 12, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
I think I might be watching a case of potential PD in action.

I drive to work at an insanely early hour of the morning. There isn't too much traffic on my route at this time of the day, so when I keep seeing regular drivers, I tend to notice them.

I work for a company that makes and delivers small expensive widgets. They can be expensive and are a very juicy target for thieves, so our delivery vehicles are not marked with any sort of company logo. They just look like little white trucks, but I've seen so many of them on our premises that even without a company logo, I can often spot our delivery trucks by gut feel (i.e. something about that particular truck looks like one of ours).

On my drive to work, there are two regulars. One of them is one of our delivery drivers in his unmarked company truck. I know it's one of ours because I ran his licence plate through our vehicle tracking system and it showed up as one of our vehicles. The reason I ran his licence plate was because he keeps repeateldy blowing red lights and overtaking on solid white lines. We leave home at around the same time and drive the same route and he frequently pulls around me on a blind hill over a solid white line, a good twenty above the speed limit on a road that is prone to intermittent speed trapping. While I could report him, I have nothing other than my word against his and that probably won't count for much.

However, the potential PD comes in that the other regular I see every morning is a traffic cop, in his clearly and brightly marked police car. So far, the company driver has managed to avoid doing anything bad in front of the cop, but I suspect it's just a matter of time.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

exitzero

« Reply #4038 on: July 12, 2013, 06:37:14 AM »
I was driving on the highway once and saw a truck with a business logo being driven by an apparent lunatic. He was racing, then suddenly stepping on the brakes, weaving in an out of lanes, etc. This was before cell phones, or would have called the police.

The thing is, the logo was a very unusual last names. Same last name as a woman I worked with. I asked her the next day if she knew that business. She said it was her husband's business.

I asked if he drove the truck. She said her brother-in-law did. Her immediate reaction was, "WHAT DID HE DO THIS TIME?" I told her.

She told me it wasn't the first complaint they got, but it was the last. They had told him one more complaint and he was out of a job.

Moral of the story, if you are going to drive like a nut, don't do it in your company van.

Pen^2

« Reply #4039 on: July 12, 2013, 06:45:29 AM »
I was driving on the highway once and saw a truck with a business logo being driven by an apparent lunatic. He was racing, then suddenly stepping on the brakes, weaving in an out of lanes, etc. This was before cell phones, or would have called the police.

The thing is, the logo was a very unusual last names. Same last name as a woman I worked with. I asked her the next day if she knew that business. She said it was her husband's business.

I asked if he drove the truck. She said her brother-in-law did. Her immediate reaction was, "WHAT DID HE DO THIS TIME?" I told her.

She told me it wasn't the first complaint they got, but it was the last. They had told him one more complaint and he was out of a job.

Moral of the story, if you are going to drive like a nut, don't do it in your company van.

That's terrible. I always wonder what goes through the heads (probably not much) of people who do stupid things like this while surrounded by logos, signs, or nametags that make them easily identifiable. It reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Ct0cWqzw

cwm

« Reply #4040 on: July 12, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »

That's terrible. I always wonder what goes through the heads (probably not much) of people who do stupid things like this while surrounded by logos, signs, or nametags that make them easily identifiable. It reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Ct0cWqzw

I worked next door to a big box electronics store one time. They have some VERY unique vehicles for their company. I was leaving work one day, in a left turn lane (right side, as there were two and I had to turn right within a block). The company car was beside me in the inside left turn lane. There were two people in the car, which I thought a bit odd because the store was closed, he wasn't going out on a call, but okay, whatever. Light turns green, I go, and I get a decent bit of speed to catch the protected right turn light ahead of me.

Company Car guy whips out in front of me, cuts me off with barely INCHES between his car and mine, then hits his brakes because...he sees a red light? Except it wasn't for the turn, that was still green. But we sat through it. I barely avoided hitting him.

The red light gave me enough time to write down his license plate number. I tried to call the store, but they were closed. So I called the national number for this part of the company and registered a complaint. The woman I was speaking to seemed surprised that someone would be using their car after hours with a passenger, and was very pleased when I actually had the LP number to give to her.

The thing is, before that, people from that company would whip through the parking lot at dangerous speeds and nearly hit many of our clients, as well as their small children and pets. After I made that complaint, somehow they started being a lot more conscientious in the shared parking lot.

Shalamar

« Reply #4041 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
I was turning onto my street the other day when I saw a well-known lawn care company's truck coming towards me.  Now, my street is very narrow, and there are always parked cars.  Plus, this truck was very wide.  I expected him to pull in behind the parked cars to let me pass - the setup was like this:

p   
a
r
k        biiiiig truck
e        biiiiig truck
d        biiiiig truck

c             me
a
r
s

Instead, he just kept barrelling towards me.  I literally had nowhere to go except up on the curb, so that's what I did.  I was furious and shaking and called the company to complain.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4042 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:51 AM »

DH is a locksmith with a small company. He is also the field manager and in charge when the owner is away. Last fall, they hired Charles, who had been a locksmith for decades. As a perk of the job, they get vehicles to use during work and to take home.

Charles rear-ended another car. Mistakes happen, but then Charles totaled the company vehicle by getting in another wreck.

Lately, all the work that Charles does is having to be redone by another locksmith.

They are trying to find a replacement for Charles before telling him things aren't working out.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4043 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »
...   While I could report him, I have nothing other than my word against his and that probably won't count for much.   ...

I'd report him.  Even if you need to do it anonymously. 

If he has an accident in that vehicle, particularly one which causes injury or death to another person, the company is liable.  It could cost your company literally millions in settlement.  You'd be doing your employer a favor by getting this guy off the road or at least on some kind of probation before it ends up badly for everyone concerned!

Ginger G

« Reply #4044 on: July 12, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »
I reported someone in a company van once.  I was in a fast food drive thru at lunch time.  This particular place was located downtown, so their lot size was fairly limited.  Once you got in the drive thru lane, there was no getting out of it until after you were done - there was a high enbankment to the right that would be impossible to drive over. 

I had paid for and received my order and went around the front of the building to leave, but I was stuck because someone in the van had apparently gotten something wrong or whatever and instead of pulling forward a few feet and parking in an actual spot, he decided to get out and go inside, basically blocking everyone in the drive thru from leaving.  So, I waited... and waited.  Now there's a car behind me who is also done and wants to leave.  Finally the guy came out and instead of immediately jumping in and leaving, he just stands there with the door open looking at something.  At this point, I had had enough, so I tapped my horn to let him know he is blocking everyone and needs to get going.  His response was to make the oh-so- familiar obscene hand gesture at me, and he continues to take his sweet time.  Now people behind me are blowing their horns.  I seriously could not believe how incredibly rude this guy was being, so I made note of the company name and the license plate number.  I called the company and let them know that their employee was a poor representative of their business.  I don't know if anything happened to him career-wise though.

Susiqzer

« Reply #4045 on: July 12, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
This reminds me of when I saw a truck from a delivery company run two stop signs (narrowly missing my car while cutting me off at the first) and a red light in the space of a mile. I called the company with the license plate number, and was told that it wasn't a unique enough identifier to determine the driver.

Um... what?

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4046 on: July 12, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Call the police. It is for them.  ;)
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4047 on: July 12, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
Twice I have called on food delivery service truck drivers and reported to the company that the driver was smoking.  I am in a no smoking in buildings city, and one vehicle was for my fave local pizza place.  I was told that drivers are told not to smoke when driving, (and this was delivery, it was going away from the place) so hopefully a warning was given and smoke breaks were taken outside, not in the car with freshly made food!
That is not quite the smokey flavor I was looking for!
:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4048 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »
But there aren't any consequences for them - no one is pulling them into a meeting and saying "you need to quiet down or else"; they aren't being written up; they aren't facing any consequences beyond supervisors saying "you are really loud".  Frankly, this problem is happening because the management isn't managing.

Exactly! if they are simply being told they're loud, they're going to keep doing it until something happens.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4049 on: July 12, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »
Years ago, the company I worked for had company vans for the techs to use.  One guy lost his job when the company was getting phone calls complaining that this tech was driving extremely fast on the expressway, weaving in and out of traffic with his bare foot hanging out the window. (And more than one call mentioned the part about the bare foot -- I never understood it.  That has to be very uncomfortable.)
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy