Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1086222 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4050 on: July 12, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »
I saw a near accident. A van with the logo for a office supply place cut off a beer 18 wheeler. It was amazing that the 18 wheeler driver. The office supply van ended up stuck in front of me in standing still traffic. I got the very long ID number off the van and called the company.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4051 on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
I worked for a government agency. I had a collection of student interns during the summers, who quite legitimately did lots of overnight travel. I learned right away that part of my orientation had to be to remind them how visible their government cars were, and to observe carefully where they were parking.

That was after two of them decided to have lunch at a restaurant in a small shopping center. They parked in the closest available space--right in front of an adult book store. A citizen who saw the car reported it.

I learned that worker safety inspectors who check ski lifts had to be given undercover cars. Too many complaints about government employees headed up the mountain with skis on the roof of the government car.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, the guy who was fired for living in his government car.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

cwm

« Reply #4052 on: July 12, 2013, 04:40:20 PM »
Not sure what ever came of it, but what a way to go.

I was at home alone one weekend. My car couldn't be parked in the driveway, as the hill was too steep and the parking brake on it wasn't the greatest. So it was parked very legally in the street in front of the house. I woke up the next morning and the car was parked literally IN the yard. And the car was about seven inches shorter front to back than it should have been.

Long involved story short, we found out what happened. See, there's this local pub that offers a free Designated Driver service. The pub DD drove these girls home who live down the street. They work at the pub and were in drinking on their night off, took advantage of the DD service. The driver was texting while he was driving the company car back up the street, ran RIGHT into my parked car.

We didn't figure out who had done it until the next day. I got a ride to work from a neighbor, but I couldn't call the police to take a report, I worked in the next city over and they needed to have someone there to take a report. And the girls down the street tried to stop by the house to let me know what had happened, but nobody was home until late the next evening when my parents got back and picked me up from work and got me home.

I mean, it's one thing to be a DD, text while driving with coworkers in the car, and rear end a parked car in the street, but it's another to not leave ANY contact information at the scene* and then, according to the girls down the street, try to deny it. And when that didn't work, downplay how serious the damage was.

*He claimed he came to the door and tried to knock on it to wake someone up. At 3 in the morning. I know he didn't ring the doorbell, I would have heard that. He may well have knocked, I'm not sure, I would have slept through that. But if I did have some random strange guy knocking on the door in the middle of the night when I'm home alone, there is NO WAY I would answer the door until the police showed up.

Shalamar

« Reply #4053 on: July 12, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
When my husband and I were planning to get married, we threw a wedding social (some Canadian folks will know what those are.  Basically, you rent a hall, a DJ, get some booze and food and door prizes, and sell tickets).  We hired our DJ from a very respected company.  The boss of the company went out of his way to tell me that their DJs never, ever drank on the job.  We booked the complete package, which included the DJ and raffle tickets.

On the night of the event, the DJ:

- Forgot the raffle tickets he was supposed to bring, and when I asked him about them, denied any knowledge.  The office was closed by then, so I couldn't call them (I tried). I had to run to an office supply store to buy some.
- Kept asking for free beer, saying that DJ'ing is thirsty work.  He was very careful to ask different people each time, each of whom thought "Eh, it's just one beer."  We're pretty sure he got at least four that way.
- Hit on all the women, even the ones with boyfriends or husbands standing right there - including my matron-of-honour-to-be, who was (a) married and (b) pregnant.

I wrote the company a furious letter and complained, but I never heard anything back.

misha412

« Reply #4054 on: July 12, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
The posts about bad drivers in company trucks reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. I was behind a large truck in a left turn lane waiting for the light to go green. This truck was clearly marked with the name of the utility company (local electric provider). This truck also had a bumper sticker that gave a phone number and an ID number with which to report any issues with how the truck is being driven.

The light goes green and we turn. The driver of this large vehicle apparently was not paying any attention to his driving. For about 1/2 of a mile down the road, he is driving down the middle of the road, straddling two lanes. He is not even driving straight, he is wandering left, then right, then back again. He finally realizes what he was doing and swerves into the right hand lane. I pull along side him further down the road and he is on a cell phone and trying to look at paperwork at the same time he was driving.

I used the phone number and ID to report the problem to the utility company. The operator was quite polite and a bit surprised at the action. Not sure what happened after that.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #4055 on: July 12, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »
Call the police. It is for them.  ;)
But a phone report is not enough to generate an arrest for a traffic offense alone. Unless a police officer sees them run the red light (or whatever), they can't do anything.  Now if they run the red light, cause an accident, and flee the scene, THEN a called-in report can generate an arrest.

Or so says the police dispatcher in the family.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4056 on: July 12, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
I was just suggesting the police might be able to look out for the inevitable future infractions.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Jocelyn

« Reply #4057 on: July 12, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
According to the NTSB, one of their interns confirmed the names of the 4 pilots on the recent crashed airliner:
http://deadspin.com/pranked-tv-station-reports-ho-lee-fuk-wi-tu-lo-as-758955806

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4058 on: July 13, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »
Oh dear deity. I hope the intern is now no longer employed by the NTSB. I can understand the newscasters being a little naive and not stopping and sounding out the names - but to deliberately make racist jokes about a horrible tragedy is unforgivable.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4059 on: July 13, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
According to the NTSB, one of their interns confirmed the names of the 4 pilots on the recent crashed airliner:
http://deadspin.com/pranked-tv-station-reports-ho-lee-fuk-wi-tu-lo-as-758955806

This is ridiculous!  You'd think someone at the TV station would have caught it before it went on the air. 

Despite the obviously jokey names, wouldn't a news outlet be suspicious that the information came from a summer intern instead of an official NTSB spokesperson? 

Things like this just further erode public trust in the media. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:51:53 AM by Thipu1 »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4060 on: July 13, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
Well, an intern can still be an "official" spokesperson, or at least claim to be.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4061 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
I worked for a government agency. I had a collection of student interns during the summers, who quite legitimately did lots of overnight travel. I learned right away that part of my orientation had to be to remind them how visible their government cars were, and to observe carefully where they were parking.

That was after two of them decided to have lunch at a restaurant in a small shopping center. They parked in the closest available space--right in front of an adult book store. A citizen who saw the car reported it.

I learned that worker safety inspectors who check ski lifts had to be given undercover cars. Too many complaints about government employees headed up the mountain with skis on the roof of the government car.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, the guy who was fired for living in his government car.
I used to work for the branch of the government that tests the ocean water to make sure it is safe for people to swim, etc.  The local newspaper has a column for reporting government waste.  Someone wrote in that they saw a vehicle identified with my branch "recreating at a local beach."  They didn't say what day or time and didn't identify the beach park or license plate number.  I thought the columnist could have at least contacted us to see if there might be a legitimate reason for a government vehicle to be at the beach instead of rehashing their standard line about "government vehicles are not supposed to be used for personal errands" and "please keep sending us your sightings."  ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

poundcake

« Reply #4062 on: July 15, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
Anyone else curious about the latest at Amy's Baking Company? I haven't found much lately.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4063 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
Anyone else curious about the latest at Amy's Baking Company? I haven't found much lately.
Updated 4 days ago - Management decided that the servers get to keep their tips while denying there was anything improper in management's previous practice of keeping the tips.  After all, tipping isn't done in other places of the world (to paraphrase their non-excuse). ???
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

whatsanenigma

« Reply #4064 on: July 15, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
]I used to work for the branch of the government that tests the ocean water to make sure it is safe for people to swim, etc.  The local newspaper has a column for reporting government waste.  Someone wrote in that they saw a vehicle identified with my branch "recreating at a local beach."  They didn't say what day or time and didn't identify the beach park or license plate number.  I thought the columnist could have at least contacted us to see if there might be a legitimate reason for a government vehicle to be at the beach instead of rehashing their standard line about "government vehicles are not supposed to be used for personal errands" and "please keep sending us your sightings."  ::)

Didn't that busybody realize, if you are going to test ocean water, you might be at the beach sometimes?  I think if I lived near a beach,  I would worry if I never saw government vehicles from the relevant branch down at the beach.

Maybe it's not PD on the individual level, but if the branch takes those complaints seriously and cuts back on the number of cars sent to the beach because of it, then some kind of branch-level darwinism is going to happen, I would think.