Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1289576 times)

Jones

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4230 on: August 18, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
The school my daughter is supposed to be attending hasn't put out schedules yet. First day is Wednesday--2 days away.

We were already debating homeschooling, might be a default this year...

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4231 on: August 18, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
We got my DD's assignment yesterday for school that starts the 26th.  All is good, right?  Well, no.  With the assignment comes a letter to go to the district website, enter our new password (that they pick) and update child's information (they are going paperless).  So I go because I want to check out our schools page and see a picture of her teacher as it is a name I don't know.  The site for the district is bare bones because for the third year in a row, they are redoing the whole site.  I go to our schools page and all I can access is the main page with the Principal's new year message.  Everything else is under construction.  There is a disclaimer telling us that the system should be up and running by September 1.  OK, so we can't put in all our child's contact/medical information till after the first week of school????  Third year in a row!  The IT department, I believe, is run by incompetents.  Last year was the first year they decided to have the report cards go paperless..fine except 3/4 of our huge district could not access our kids report cards!!  The files could not be read was the message everyone got.  OK, the first 9 weeks, maybe (and after trying both work and home, my sister got it for me) but it happened after everyone !  And they expect those without computers to go to the schools and use the few they have set up to fill out their kids information and get report cards.  The problem?  The 3 elementary schools and the middle school have recently become, due to massive transit authority cuts, inaccessible by public transportation so if you have no car or no computer now what (for my DD's school from where I live is 2 buses then a slightly longer than a mile walk).  They said, go to the library.  Again...HUGE district encompassing 2 boroughs that each have a small library but because they boroughs are so spread out and the public transportation issues, unless you are lucky to live by one, it could be up to a 6 mile walk to your local library, along roads that are not pedestrian friendly.  I hope someone points out these logic flaws to the Superintendent and IT departments real soon!

geekette

« Reply #4232 on: August 19, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »
Speaking as someone in IT, I'd bet you 10 dollars that its not the IT department is run by incompetents - it will be just one incompetent person acting as a manager.   Just. The. One.

The very first project I was a part of, the manager didn't think that any instructions for the installation of the final product was required, just a copy of the script that you would run (with no information on how to run it, or what variables to set). They figured "The organization said they would be getting their own IT person soon. They'll understand it."
That was the day I vowed to never, ever give anything to a manager until after I'd written at least a very basic technical components guide to go with it.

Cherry91

« Reply #4233 on: August 19, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »
This one was told to me by a friend:

If you work at a university where results are being sent out, results that are considered confidential, make sure they are being sent to the right people. My friend's university sent everyone the wrong results, and to make matters worse, the results had the person it was meant for's information on it, such as full name, DOB, student number, etc. Had anyone had malicious intentions, they could have done a lot with the information. I'm told at least one head rolled over the fiasco.

My friend put it best: "I opened my email and found out I'd gotten a 2:1 in Psychology. Which would have been great, if I wasn't doing a degree in Geology..."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4234 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
We can't even release or communicate about grades on email!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4235 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
I just heard this one from the mother of a new middle-schooler.

When the middle-school students went to their first day of classes last Wednesday, none of them had gotten their schedules.  That's because there were no schedules.  As in, none of the teachers knew which classes they were teaching, what times the classes would be held, what room the classes would be in, and how many students were signed up for the class.

Somehow, the principal (who makes up these schedules) had managed to keep the board from finding out about this little problem until the first day of school.  By the second day of school, there was a new principal.

Just what was the 1st principal hoping to accomplish?  Or was it a case of being lazy/incompetent and hoping that everyone else sorts it out?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

bloo

« Reply #4236 on: August 19, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
I just heard this one from the mother of a new middle-schooler.

When the middle-school students went to their first day of classes last Wednesday, none of them had gotten their schedules.  That's because there were no schedules.  As in, none of the teachers knew which classes they were teaching, what times the classes would be held, what room the classes would be in, and how many students were signed up for the class.

Somehow, the principal (who makes up these schedules) had managed to keep the board from finding out about this little problem until the first day of school.  By the second day of school, there was a new principal.

Just what was the 1st principal hoping to accomplish?  Or was it a case of being lazy/incompetent and hoping that everyone else sorts it out?

He was employing an advanced business strategy called, 'Hoping nobody notices.'

(stolen from Scott Adams of Dilbert fame)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4237 on: August 19, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
We can't even release or communicate about grades on email!

Same here. No grades via e-mail, but they can be posted to a secure website where each student gets their own grade(s), and possibly some very general data on the grades for the class as a whole (high, low, mean, average, etc). But each student sees only detail for their own grades.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Shalamar

« Reply #4238 on: August 19, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »

Not PD, but this reminds me of a story on the Ehell website a few years ago.  The person telling the story, "Jane", said that she was organizing a wedding shower for her co-worker friend "Mary".  One of Mary's other friends, "Sue", begged Jane to let her help with the shower.  Jane hesitated, because Sue was known to be a bit flakey.  She finally relented and told Sue that she could mail out the shower invitations.

On the day of the shower, everything was ready.  The decorations were up and looked beautiful, the food was prepared and looked delicious, the guest of honour was due to arrive any minute.  Just one problem - there were no guests.

Jane kept looking at the clock, getting more and more concerned, and she finally said "Um, Sue, you did mail out the invitations, didn't you?"  Sue promptly burst into tears and, sobbing, confessed that she'd forgotten all about them.  She'd remembered that morning, when it was much too late to mail them.  Jane's response was "... and you were going to tell me this WHEN, exactly?"    Sue apparently hoped that Jane and Mary wouldn't notice that no-one had come to the shower!   :o

bloo

« Reply #4239 on: August 19, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

Not PD, but this reminds me of a story on the Ehell website a few years ago.  The person telling the story, "Jane", said that she was organizing a wedding shower for her co-worker friend "Mary".  One of Mary's other friends, "Sue", begged Jane to let her help with the shower.  Jane hesitated, because Sue was known to be a bit flakey.  She finally relented and told Sue that she could mail out the shower invitations.

On the day of the shower, everything was ready.  The decorations were up and looked beautiful, the food was prepared and looked delicious, the guest of honour was due to arrive any minute.  Just one problem - there were no guests.

Jane kept looking at the clock, getting more and more concerned, and she finally said "Um, Sue, you did mail out the invitations, didn't you?"  Sue promptly burst into tears and, sobbing, confessed that she'd forgotten all about them.  She'd remembered that morning, when it was much too late to mail them.  Jane's response was "... and you were going to tell me this WHEN, exactly?"    Sue apparently hoped that Jane and Mary wouldn't notice that no-one had come to the shower!   :o

Oh. Mah. Gah.  :o

Is that in the old archives? I thought I'd covered them pretty well. I don't want to derail but wanted to thank you for posting that. Maybe I can find it. (off to hunt)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4240 on: August 19, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
Dang - that one probably got deleted....last weekend.

And it is such a good example of why we need to know who the flakes are in the circle of friends, family, and acquaintances.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #4241 on: August 20, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »
That story was definitely in the archives at one point, but unfortunately I can't remember what it was called ... and the names I used ("Jane", "Mary", "Sue") won't help, because those are just the names I picked when I couldn't remember the original ones.  I'll never forget that story, though!

cwm

« Reply #4242 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
Well, we had a guy get fired yesterday. And now all the collected dirt comes out on him. Like the note he had hanging at his desk (covered by other papers, no less). The great excerpts from the note:

It's ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS
-> No time for customer service
   -> If it's not raising my #s, get them OFF THE PHONE

No sleeping at my desk while clocked in

Also, we found out he'd been arrested for various alcohol and drug related offenses (drunk at 7:30 Monday morning, found lots of other things in the car) but hadn't gotten fired for those. But then continued to fall asleep at his desk for nearly an hour each time. On a regular basis.

Why he wasn't let go sooner, I have no idea.

Goosey

« Reply #4243 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
Public announcement:

Do not steal government supplies and sell them to civilians.

Especially if you are overseas and these civilians are considered high risk.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4244 on: August 20, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »
cwm..it seems like the more incompetent they are, the longer it takes to fire them but from experience in management/HR, it takes longer simply because all documentation needs to be beyond reproach.  The incompetent lazy morons are much more likely to sue/file with the eeoc/file for unemployment.  The alcoholic/drug addict that is late/calls off/makes constant mistakes?  They claim they are disabled so they are protected, and I have seen the race card played too often, which is a shame because race had nothing to do with it and the other co workers of that race who bust their butts day and night are embarrassed by these slackers not realizing they are being fired for attendance issues or their shoddy work habits.  I know of one lady who filed a lawsuit citing age discrimination after she was let go.  She absolutely refused to learn how to use the computer past excel and word ..didn't show up at mandatory training classes and said if someone wanted to mail something, they could do it by snail mail because she had no time for email.  Her suit was thrown out because the company documented the heck out of the situation for 6 months..all the warnings, write ups, conversations.