Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1291619 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4245 on: August 20, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Public announcement:

Do not steal government supplies and sell them to civilians.

Especially if you are overseas and these civilians are considered high risk.

Examples of things like this make me want to scream, "Duh!" as I slap them upside their head.  Seriously, you really thought you would get away with it?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4246 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
cwm..it seems like the more incompetent they are, the longer it takes to fire them but from experience in management/HR, it takes longer simply because all documentation needs to be beyond reproach.  The incompetent lazy morons are much more likely to sue/file with the eeoc/file for unemployment.  The alcoholic/drug addict that is late/calls off/makes constant mistakes?  They claim they are disabled so they are protected, and I have seen the race card played too often, which is a shame because race had nothing to do with it and the other co workers of that race who bust their butts day and night are embarrassed by these slackers not realizing they are being fired for attendance issues or their shoddy work habits.  I know of one lady who filed a lawsuit citing age discrimination after she was let go.  She absolutely refused to learn how to use the computer past excel and word ..didn't show up at mandatory training classes and said if someone wanted to mail something, they could do it by snail mail because she had no time for email.  Her suit was thrown out because the company documented the heck out of the situation for 6 months..all the warnings, write ups, conversations.
I hate how people take advantage of discrimination. Incompetent prats come in all shapes, sizes, races, ages and religions. Idiocy is not discriminatory.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4247 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
An employee of a tutoring center stole all of their new iPads. $15K worth of iPads. He didn't think he would get caught, he was wrong.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4248 on: August 22, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
^^^ How on earth did this twit think he would get away with it???  My ghast is totally flabbered!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.

dinvancouver

« Reply #4250 on: August 22, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
Public announcement:

Do not steal government supplies and sell them to civilians.

Especially if you are overseas and these civilians are considered high risk.

I volunteer at a VA hospital in the Biomed department (the people who deal with the medical machines). Do you know what happens when Biomed and/or Sterilization realize they are missing stuff? Why yes, they do Google.  You are selling $1800 medical equipment for half price? You're not part of any company or clinic that upgraded? Hope you've got a lawyer because you WILL be getting a knock on the door. Idiot. Don't forget to kiss your retirement account goodbye.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4251 on: August 22, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
This one was told to me by a friend:

If you work at a university where results are being sent out, results that are considered confidential, make sure they are being sent to the right people. My friend's university sent everyone the wrong results, and to make matters worse, the results had the person it was meant for's information on it, such as full name, DOB, student number, etc. Had anyone had malicious intentions, they could have done a lot with the information. I'm told at least one head rolled over the fiasco.

My friend put it best: "I opened my email and found out I'd gotten a 2:1 in Psychology. Which would have been great, if I wasn't doing a degree in Geology..."
I once had the misfortune of having a first initial-last name email address at a university which had several other people with my same first initial and last name. One, a very pleasant young man named Jack, became my email buddy, and we wrote back and forth until he graduated. The other was a woman in the athletic department, and I had a heck of a time convincing her colleagues not to send me confidential material about the athletes in the assumption I was she. Happened over and over again. At least Jack got his friends to stop emailing me fairly quickly. ::)

Amara

« Reply #4252 on: August 22, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
The ultimate in local Professional Darwinism. Back in 2011, the non-sworn supervisor of the police department's business office, was finally discovered to be a long-time embezzler ( http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=63323 ). Not only did she lose her job, her reputation and her freedom, she walked away from a nice pension. The report was later updated to note that the apparent loss was as much as $1.5 million ( http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=63600&showcomments=T#topComment ). The topper: she was initially placed in charge of the investigation.

*edited because policy does NOT equal police*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:03:16 AM by Amara »

Goosey

« Reply #4253 on: August 23, 2013, 08:06:39 AM »
One of the stories about a man who commited treason against the government was like that. He was actually put in charge of the task force to find the treasonist. He actually uncovered ANOTHER person doing it. But then he got caught - why? Because he hosted a dinner and one of his coworkers noted that his curtains were really, really, really expensive italian curtains. No way he could have afforded them on his salary.

Amara

« Reply #4254 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
That's amazing, Goosey. And hilarious. Undone by Italian curtains. He probably figured "who would know?"  ;D

Goosey

« Reply #4255 on: August 23, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
That's amazing, Goosey. And hilarious. Undone by Italian curtains. He probably figured "who would know?"  ;D

It's curtains for him!!  ;D  :P

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4256 on: August 23, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
This one was told to me by a friend:

If you work at a university where results are being sent out, results that are considered confidential, make sure they are being sent to the right people. My friend's university sent everyone the wrong results, and to make matters worse, the results had the person it was meant for's information on it, such as full name, DOB, student number, etc. Had anyone had malicious intentions, they could have done a lot with the information. I'm told at least one head rolled over the fiasco.

My friend put it best: "I opened my email and found out I'd gotten a 2:1 in Psychology. Which would have been great, if I wasn't doing a degree in Geology..."
I once had the misfortune of having a first initial-last name email address at a university which had several other people with my same first initial and last name. One, a very pleasant young man named Jack, became my email buddy, and we wrote back and forth until he graduated. The other was a woman in the athletic department, and I had a heck of a time convincing her colleagues not to send me confidential material about the athletes in the assumption I was she. Happened over and over again. At least Jack got his friends to stop emailing me fairly quickly. ::)
There is another young woman, about my age, in the same industry as me, also in the US South (but another state) with my same name. She either forgets that her e-mail address isn't mine (hers has a middle initial, mine does not) or her friends do, as I get e-mail meant for her about once a month.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #4257 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
He was employing an advanced business strategy called, 'Hoping nobody notices.'

Not PD, but this reminds me of a story on the Ehell website a few years ago.  The person telling the story, "Jane", said that she was organizing a wedding shower for her co-worker friend "Mary".  One of Mary's other friends, "Sue", begged Jane to let her help with the shower.  Jane hesitated, because Sue was known to be a bit flakey.  She finally relented and told Sue that she could mail out the shower invitations.

On the day of the shower, everything was ready.  The decorations were up and looked beautiful, the food was prepared and looked delicious, the guest of honour was due to arrive any minute.  Just one problem - there were no guests.

Jane kept looking at the clock, getting more and more concerned, and she finally said "Um, Sue, you did mail out the invitations, didn't you?"  Sue promptly burst into tears and, sobbing, confessed that she'd forgotten all about them.  She'd remembered that morning, when it was much too late to mail them.  Jane's response was "... and you were going to tell me this WHEN, exactly?"    Sue apparently hoped that Jane and Mary wouldn't notice that no-one had come to the shower!   :o

I had a situation like that! My best friend's 21st birthday was coming up and I wanted to do something special for her, so I got together with her sister to throw a surprise party. Her sister was to do the invite part and I was going to handle the rest.  Yep, she didn't send out the invitations. One week before the party, I found out about it and scrounged for guests as it was a holiday weekend and everyone had plans already. We managed to throw a small party, and being a nice person, I didn't want to tell my friend her sister flaked, so I took the fall for looking like I planned a lame party.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4258 on: August 23, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
One of the stories about a man who commited treason against the government was like that. He was actually put in charge of the task force to find the treasonist. He actually uncovered ANOTHER person doing it. But then he got caught - why? Because he hosted a dinner and one of his coworkers noted that his curtains were really, really, really expensive italian curtains. No way he could have afforded them on his salary.
And because of things like this, DH, then a government contractor, and all of his colleagues, and all other government employees (with the exception of the crooks in Congress) were sent questionnaires that they were REQUIRED to fill out.  Basically:

What is your declared income?
If you are married, what is your spouse's declared income?
What do you own?
Where did you get it?
How much did you pay for it?
What is it worth now?

We were supposed to give the US government a complete inventory of everything we owned, down to our pocket lint.   We've been married for almost 40 years.  There are only a few things in this house that we can definitively state what we paid for it and how much is it worth now.  Rather than do that, DH retired a year earlier than our plans called for.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

CuriousParty

« Reply #4259 on: August 23, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
And because of things like this, DH, then a government contractor, and all of his colleagues, and all other government employees (with the exception of the crooks in Congress) were sent questionnaires that they were REQUIRED to fill out.  Basically:

What is your declared income?
If you are married, what is your spouse's declared income?
What do you own?
Where did you get it?
How much did you pay for it?
What is it worth now?

We were supposed to give the US government a complete inventory of everything we owned, down to our pocket lint.   We've been married for almost 40 years.  There are only a few things in this house that we can definitively state what we paid for it and how much is it worth now.  Rather than do that, DH retired a year earlier than our plans called for.

Wow.  That's....insane.  I don't know if it's changed over time or is due to the agency your DH was with, but my DH who has been a contractor/employee for about a decade, has never had to fill out something in that detail. I don't blame you guys for retiring early.