Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1295368 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4260 on: August 23, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
When Mr. Thipu was working, his salary would be published annually in the New York Times. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #4261 on: August 23, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
When applying for a job:

1. Again! Be nice to the front line people when turning the application. 
2. Settle your $$$ debt with organization where you want work.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4262 on: August 23, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
When applying for a job:

*facepalm*

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4263 on: August 23, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
When Mr. Thipu was working, his salary would be published annually in the New York Times.

Yup, you can look up my salary online. If you Google my name, that's one of the top entries. The joy of being a public servant. :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4264 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:41 PM »
Ours are published in a local newspaper once a year. The glories of being a public employee are many and varied.

PeterM

« Reply #4265 on: August 23, 2013, 11:32:24 PM »
When applying for a job:

Hey, you want him to pay? Hire him at an exorbitant salary!

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #4266 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:35 PM »
It's curtains for him!!  ;D  :P

Lacy, gently wafting curtains?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4267 on: August 24, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »
cwm..it seems like the more incompetent they are, the longer it takes to fire them but from experience in management/HR, it takes longer simply because all documentation needs to be beyond reproach.  The incompetent lazy morons are much more likely to sue/file with the eeoc/file for unemployment.  The alcoholic/drug addict that is late/calls off/makes constant mistakes?  They claim they are disabled so they are protected, and I have seen the race card played too often, which is a shame because race had nothing to do with it and the other co workers of that race who bust their butts day and night are embarrassed by these slackers not realizing they are being fired for attendance issues or their shoddy work habits.  I know of one lady who filed a lawsuit citing age discrimination after she was let go.  She absolutely refused to learn how to use the computer past excel and word ..didn't show up at mandatory training classes and said if someone wanted to mail something, they could do it by snail mail because she had no time for email.  Her suit was thrown out because the company documented the heck out of the situation for 6 months..all the warnings, write ups, conversations.
I hate how people take advantage of discrimination. Incompetent prats come in all shapes, sizes, races, ages and religions. Idiocy is not discriminatory.

Incompetent people are often incredibly competent in finding and exploiting any excuse possible.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

audhs

« Reply #4268 on: August 24, 2013, 12:35:29 AM »
cwm..it seems like the more incompetent they are, the longer it takes to fire them but from experience in management/HR, it takes longer simply because all documentation needs to be beyond reproach.  The incompetent lazy morons are much more likely to sue/file with the eeoc/file for unemployment.  The alcoholic/drug addict that is late/calls off/makes constant mistakes?  They claim they are disabled so they are protected, and I have seen the race card played too often, which is a shame because race had nothing to do with it and the other co workers of that race who bust their butts day and night are embarrassed by these slackers not realizing they are being fired for attendance issues or their shoddy work habits.  I know of one lady who filed a lawsuit citing age discrimination after she was let go.  She absolutely refused to learn how to use the computer past excel and word ..didn't show up at mandatory training classes and said if someone wanted to mail something, they could do it by snail mail because she had no time for email.  Her suit was thrown out because the company documented the heck out of the situation for 6 months..all the warnings, write ups, conversations.
I hate how people take advantage of discrimination. Incompetent prats come in all shapes, sizes, races, ages and religions. Idiocy is not discriminatory.

Incompetent people are often incredibly competent in finding and exploiting any excuse possible.

I worked with a woman who went to some bizarre lengths to get out of doing things she didn't feel like doing. To the point that it would. Have been less work just to do it.  ::)  unfortunately it was a union job so it was easier to wait out her retirement then to actually try and get her fired.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4269 on: August 24, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »
One of the clerks in my office is incompetent and a know it all. She knows how to do everything better than everyone else and still she manages to mess up daily. Her supervisor won't do the documention necessary to fire her. The supervisor is going to retire at the end of this year. I heard that the incompetent clerk has the inside track to get the supervisor position because she has"seniority.

I work for the government. It's discouraging to see incompetence and a bad attitude rewarded.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4270 on: August 24, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
My husband's in the military, so his salary is calculable if you know how long he's been in, his rank, and the zipcode he works in.  He's never got a crazy questionnaire like that one, though!  I should ask him if his friends (he has a few who have gone into government contracting) have had anything like that.  Pretty crazy.  I don't even think security clearances ask that kind of detail!

StarFaerie

« Reply #4271 on: August 24, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »
My BFs security clearance asks that and much more. All debts, all assets, assets sold, proof of insured values, addresses of all houses you have lived in, your overseas trips ), your parents and siblings overseas trips, social media and forum memberships, and so on. And they also interview your friends and family to see if the answers match. Plus they visit his house to do the interview so they can look around. Then they repeat it all every 3 years.

The amount of information they require and how deep they dig apparently depends on the clearance level.

Carotte

« Reply #4272 on: August 24, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »
My BFs security clearance asks that and much more. All debts, all assets, assets sold, proof of insured values, addresses of all houses you have lived in, your overseas trips ), your parents and siblings overseas trips, social media and forum memberships, and so on. And they also interview your friends and family to see if the answers match. Plus they visit his house to do the interview so they can look around. Then they repeat it all every 3 years.

The amount of information they require and how deep they dig apparently depends on the clearance level.

I have a friend that also needs a crazy amount of clearance for his job, we joked that they even interrogated his new born son when he took the job, grilled him about what he knew of his parents whereabouts, and are keeping tabs on the baby  ;D

Jocelyn

« Reply #4273 on: August 24, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »

That strikes me as very likely to get a lot of false information. I know my sisters have traveled overseas, but I couldn't tell you exactly where or exactly when. Or the addresses of houses where they've lived, particularly during college. What about people whose friends have faulty memories, so the answers don't match? It seems odd to judge the security-worthiness of someone based on their friends' memories.
I once got one of these calls about a friend. They told me they were checking references for a job, but the questions seemed unusual for a job candidate. Suddenly, the light came on and I exclaimed, 'OH! You're asking me if I know of anything she could be blackmailed over!' The person on the other end of the call paused a minute, then said, 'Well, do you?' I said, 'I know of things she's keeping secret from her mother, but nothing she'd be willing to sell out her country over.' She got clearance to work for the White House, so I guess my, and other peoples', answers were satisfactory. ::)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4274 on: August 24, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
Did I already post this? The Search feature won't let me in, so I can't verify.

I met someone who deliberately committed PD. He worked for a private company that had Big Deal contracts with the US government for Sooper Skeerit Stuff. This was in the 1980s, when the Cold War was still on.

His company was bought out by another company Many employees were offered extremely generous retirement packages. He was not as he was "too valuable."

His extremely high security clearance mandated that he never travel to any county under the influence of the USSR. Heck, he couldn't even take a flight that passed over one of those countries, in case there was an emergency. He promptly booked a tour of Russia and Eastern Europe, which meant that on return, his security clearance was automatically revoked. He had a great vacation and his employer gave up & offer him the retirement bonus.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data