Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1284167 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4320 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
Slight Update: I may have to revise my negative opinion of new coworker slightly.

New coworker made a gift bracelet for the daughter of the coworker who gave her lifts, as it's the coworker's daughter's birthday, so she made the girl a beaded bracelet. (I found this out because new coworker was walking around asking if anyone had pliers or could help her close the last loop on the bracelet to get the catch to be secure). That's actually very sweet of her, so I'm less purely negative and more ambivalent about her now. Time will tell how pleasant working with her turns out to be (although I'm a little iffy about her finishing off jewelry on work time).

This would actually make me leery of her. I've seen people who start out by being "very sweet" and overly generous as a ploy. Hey, I gave you something, so you know I'm generous! I remembered you said it was your DD's birthday, so you know I listen to you! Now you've accepted me, here's what you owe me in return....

Gotta agree with this one. Giving a gift to the daughter of someone you've known for only a couple of days, whether they've done you a favour or not, is assuming -- or trying to create -- wayyyyyy more of a close relationship than actually exists. And the fact that she was really obvious about finishing it at work makes me suspicious too. She makes jewellery at home, as a hobby or whatever? She has pliers. If she was actually working on the bracelet at work, she had the pliers at work. Unless the bracelet was braided or corded and that was the single solitary jump ring involved in its construction (in which case I will admit to being a cynical snarky person and thinking badly of your new coworker without sufficient proof), then either she did all the rest of the work at home and brought it in with that one ring left unclasped so that she could walk around with it asking for help and show everybody that hey! she's nice! she made a Thing for Mandy's daughter!, or else she did some of the work at her desk (using ze pliers!) and put the pliers away with that one ring left unclasped so that she could walk around etc etc insert cynical snark here.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4321 on: August 28, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
The 'Look How Nice I'm Being' aspect of the bracelet got me too.  How many people keep jewelry pliers in their desks? 

Only the security card episode could be grounds for dismissal and, as other posters have pointed out, there are many different kinds of security access cards.  Still, this woman sounds extremely annoying. 

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #4322 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
The 'Look How Nice I'm Being' aspect of the bracelet got me too.  How many people keep jewelry pliers in their desks? 

Only the security card episode could be grounds for dismissal and, as other posters have pointed out, there are many different kinds of security access cards.  Still, this woman sounds extremely annoying.

I used to keep jewelry pliers in my desk! It was a lot easier to do some quick crafting work during downtime at the office (no cats batting at the wires...chewing on the wires...tugging on the wires), and it came in handy when our IT people occasionally had to improvise.  :)

But yeah, I think this person still bears watching.
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

Shalamar

« Reply #4323 on: August 28, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
Way wrong thing to say here, in this environment. I put the portion of what was said that irked me most in italics.

That reminds me of something that's bugged me in the past at my office:

Annoying Newbie Co-worker:  Where's Boss?
Me:  She's not in yet. 
Annoying Newbie Co-worker:   Well, when she finally gets here, let me know.

Okay.  First of all, Boss often gets late-night work calls that end up burning the midnight oil, so her hours tend to be a bit nuts.  Even if that weren't the case, she works extremely hard and is always putting in extra time.  Hers is not a 9-5 job, is what I'm saying.  For another thing, hey, Annoying Newbie Co-worker?  I'm not your personal secretary.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4324 on: August 28, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Oh, that would chap my hide as well.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4325 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
Way wrong thing to say here, in this environment. I put the portion of what was said that irked me most in italics.

That reminds me of something that's bugged me in the past at my office:

Annoying Newbie Co-worker:  Where's Boss?
Me:  She's not in yet. 
Annoying Newbie Co-worker:   Well, when she finally gets here, let me know.

Okay.  First of all, Boss often gets late-night work calls that end up burning the midnight oil, so her hours tend to be a bit nuts.  Even if that weren't the case, she works extremely hard and is always putting in extra time.  Hers is not a 9-5 job, is what I'm saying.  For another thing, hey, Annoying Newbie Co-worker?  I'm not your personal secretary.

Is it bad to admit that I kind of hope you didn't tell NCW when your boss finally got there?  Bonus points if NCW went in to Boss and said "Well, now that you're FINALLY here, I have a question." 

Yeah.  Professional Darwinism at its finest.   :)

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #4326 on: August 28, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
Slight Update: I may have to revise my negative opinion of new coworker slightly.

New coworker made a gift bracelet for the daughter of the coworker who gave her lifts, as it's the coworker's daughter's birthday, so she made the girl a beaded bracelet. (I found this out because new coworker was walking around asking if anyone had pliers or could help her close the last loop on the bracelet to get the catch to be secure). That's actually very sweet of her, so I'm less purely negative and more ambivalent about her now. Time will tell how pleasant working with her turns out to be (although I'm a little iffy about her finishing off jewelry on work time).

This would actually make me leery of her. I've seen people who start out by being "very sweet" and overly generous as a ploy. Hey, I gave you something, so you know I'm generous! I remembered you said it was your DD's birthday, so you know I listen to you! Now you've accepted me, here's what you owe me in return....

Gotta agree with this one. Giving a gift to the daughter of someone you've known for only a couple of days, whether they've done you a favour or not, is assuming -- or trying to create -- wayyyyyy more of a close relationship than actually exists. And the fact that she was really obvious about finishing it at work makes me suspicious too. She makes jewellery at home, as a hobby or whatever? She has pliers. If she was actually working on the bracelet at work, she had the pliers at work. Unless the bracelet was braided or corded and that was the single solitary jump ring involved in its construction (in which case I will admit to being a cynical snarky person and thinking badly of your new coworker without sufficient proof), then either she did all the rest of the work at home and brought it in with that one ring left unclasped so that she could walk around with it asking for help and show everybody that hey! she's nice! she made a Thing for Mandy's daughter!, or else she did some of the work at her desk (using ze pliers!) and put the pliers away with that one ring left unclasped so that she could walk around etc etc insert cynical snark here.

It wouldn't make me leery at all, If the coworker had been giving her rides and it was the daughter's birthday I would just think this was a way to show some appreciate of the effort the co worker was making and a way to say thank you.

asb8

« Reply #4327 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
This appears to be rather public Darwinism. 

http://www.tvguide.com/News/George-Eads-CSI-Leave-Absence-1069674.aspx

From my readings of the article 'sabbatical' seems to be a euphemism for 'suspended.'

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4328 on: August 28, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
It's a subtle thing, but combined with the other things, it's a little too much. Presents are usually assumed to be reciprocal. While she might be considering the bracelet reciprocity for the drives, it has a faint air of "your daughter is my friend now! Look, I'm giving her a birthday present! Why, we're all just besties right now!" It's manipulative.

I have been burned before by people being "too nice, too soon". It can get real ugly if you don't want to be "besties" with the person. Because they've been so nice to you, and now you're rejecting them, right?

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #4329 on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
It's a subtle thing, but combined with the other things, it's a little too much. Presents are usually assumed to be reciprocal. While she might be considering the bracelet reciprocity for the drives, it has a faint air of "your daughter is my friend now! Look, I'm giving her a birthday present! Why, we're all just besties right now!" It's manipulative.

I have been burned before by people being "too nice, too soon". It can get real ugly if you don't want to be "besties" with the person. Because they've been so nice to you, and now you're rejecting them, right?

I think hat  you  maybe looking to much into it , she is giving her a birthday present and since it doesn't mention the daughters age  it could be a younger child and there is no indicate she is trying to be friends with the daughter and in the end is a birthday gift she made herself so I'm going to assume that it was inexpensive.  So rather than putting weird or evil notations on it.  I'm going to take it a face value.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4330 on: August 28, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
This appears to be rather public Darwinism. 

http://www.tvguide.com/News/George-Eads-CSI-Leave-Absence-1069674.aspx

From my readings of the article 'sabbatical' seems to be a euphemism for 'suspended.'

Dare I hope that the show will FINALLY get cancelled?  It left its prime long ago. 

Shalamar

« Reply #4331 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
Is it bad to admit that I kind of hope you didn't tell NCW when your boss finally got there?  Bonus points if NCW went in to Boss and said "Well, now that you're FINALLY here, I have a question." 

Hee hee.  It was a while ago, so I can't remember what I did.  ANCW is, well, annoying on many fronts, actually.  He tends to be very condescending, possibly because he's older than I am (although I'm 49, so I'm no spring chicken).  When he first started at our company, I'd been there for 8 years, and yet he was still very condescending to me.  I had been assigned to train him, and he all but patted me on the head when I tried to tell him how to use our system.

Oh, and on his first day, he saw the photo on my desk of my teenage daughters and asked "Are those your grandchildren?"  Seriously?  I look old enough to have teenage grandchildren?  :o

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4332 on: August 28, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
For CSI, I dropped it years ago, but will still watch it if I come across it flipping channels.  We do not have cable, and can go for days without the tv on.

Anyway, DD has been watching 'The Mentalist' on-line for free and was asking to see the (not free) pilot episode. 

About halfway through, I realized that the cast from five years prior is the SAME cast from today.  Wow.  Cannot think of another show (again, I watch little TV) that could say they have kept the same main characters for five years!!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.

cwm

« Reply #4334 on: August 28, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23761643

The lyrics that appeared online were influenced by a style of hip-hop that I was experimenting with at a private freestyle session and blurted out in a moment of madness.

Yeah, sure. Private session, bout of madness, and then still published on the internet while you're wearing a mask to hide your identity. I believe it.  ::)