Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1284189 times)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4350 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
Ever since the beginning of CSI his character Nick has been beaten with the drama stick. Including be accused of the murder of a girl that  he was starting a relationship with and being threatened with a gun to his face. I always thought that they singled out one of the characters to be beaten the most with the Drama Stick.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4351 on: August 28, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »
Ever since the beginning of CSI his character Nick has been beaten with the drama stick. Including be accused of the murder of a girl that  he was starting a relationship with and being threatened with a gun to his face. I always thought that they singled out one of the characters to be beaten the most with the Drama Stick.

Well - to be fair, he wasn't the one that was murdered.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

AngelicGamer

« Reply #4352 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
For CSI, I dropped it years ago, but will still watch it if I come across it flipping channels.  We do not have cable, and can go for days without the tv on.

Anyway, DD has been watching 'The Mentalist' on-line for free and was asking to see the (not free) pilot episode. 

About halfway through, I realized that the cast from five years prior is the SAME cast from today.  Wow.  Cannot think of another show (again, I watch little TV) that could say they have kept the same main characters for five years!!

NCIS.  ;D  Also, ER when it was on NBC.  West Wing ran for seven seasons with all but one of the main characters - Rob Lowe left around season 3 (or 4?) for reasons related to his character not getting enough time or something.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4353 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »
Slight Update: I may have to revise my negative opinion of new coworker slightly.

New coworker made a gift bracelet for the daughter of the coworker who gave her lifts, as it's the coworker's daughter's birthday, so she made the girl a beaded bracelet. (I found this out because new coworker was walking around asking if anyone had pliers or could help her close the last loop on the bracelet to get the catch to be secure). That's actually very sweet of her, so I'm less purely negative and more ambivalent about her now. Time will tell how pleasant working with her turns out to be (although I'm a little iffy about her finishing off jewelry on work time).

This would actually make me leery of her. I've seen people who start out by being "very sweet" and overly generous as a ploy. Hey, I gave you something, so you know I'm generous! I remembered you said it was your DD's birthday, so you know I listen to you! Now you've accepted me, here's what you owe me in return....

Gotta agree with this one. Giving a gift to the daughter of someone you've known for only a couple of days, whether they've done you a favour or not, is assuming -- or trying to create -- wayyyyyy more of a close relationship than actually exists. And the fact that she was really obvious about finishing it at work makes me suspicious too. She makes jewellery at home, as a hobby or whatever? She has pliers. If she was actually working on the bracelet at work, she had the pliers at work. Unless the bracelet was braided or corded and that was the single solitary jump ring involved in its construction (in which case I will admit to being a cynical snarky person and thinking badly of your new coworker without sufficient proof), then either she did all the rest of the work at home and brought it in with that one ring left unclasped so that she could walk around with it asking for help and show everybody that hey! she's nice! she made a Thing for Mandy's daughter!, or else she did some of the work at her desk (using ze pliers!) and put the pliers away with that one ring left unclasped so that she could walk around etc etc insert cynical snark here.

Good point. She was walking around asking people for pliers and then monologueing at them at length about why she was making the bracelet. She keeps starting with me for some reason (I was the first person she asked for pliers from, even though I'm several desks away from her). I'm starting to think she's trying to get a handle on me. I didn't ask any details about the bracelet, then she told me about why she was making it, and I didn't ask to see it or gush over how nice it was or how kind she was to make it, (unlike the other people in the office) so I think she's struggling to figure out how to either impress me or bond with me.

I was trying to be charitable with her actions, but the more I look at what she did, the more manipulative she seems.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4354 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:07 AM »
I was trying to be charitable with her actions, but the more I look at what she did, the more manipulative she seems.  :(

Yeeeep. The more you tell, the more hinky she sounds. :P

Admittedly, it's entirely possible she doesn't realise what she's doing. She might have grown up in a family where this is the usual way of operating - you have to gather 'favours' that you've done other people (whether they wanted them or not!) as 'currency' to use for getting your own way later. I had a friend in school who was like that, always giving people little presents and offering to help with tasks. I learned why the only time I ever saw her ask her father for a favour, when he retorted with "Why should I? What have you done for me lately?" >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Jones

« Reply #4355 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
For CSI, I dropped it years ago, but will still watch it if I come across it flipping channels.  We do not have cable, and can go for days without the tv on.

Anyway, DD has been watching 'The Mentalist' on-line for free and was asking to see the (not free) pilot episode. 

About halfway through, I realized that the cast from five years prior is the SAME cast from today.  Wow.  Cannot think of another show (again, I watch little TV) that could say they have kept the same main characters for five years!!

NCIS.  ;D  Also, ER when it was on NBC.  West Wing ran for seven seasons with all but one of the main characters - Rob Lowe left around season 3 (or 4?) for reasons related to his character not getting enough time or something.
Well, there's also the classic sci fi....Babylon 5, Star Trek Voyager... Star Trek in general, managed to keep their casts. Scrubs kept their core together for 8 years and got several of them to make appearances in their 9th season. If we're counting cartoons, there's the Simpsons, which has held their cast for over 20 years.

And looking at that variety of shows I listed, I look like a total nerd. I'm off to do some nerdy stuff now.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4356 on: August 29, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »

Yeeeep. The more you tell, the more hinky she sounds. :P

Admittedly, it's entirely possible she doesn't realise what she's doing. She might have grown up in a family where this is the usual way of operating - you have to gather 'favours' that you've done other people (whether they wanted them or not!) as 'currency' to use for getting your own way later. I had a friend in school who was like that, always giving people little presents and offering to help with tasks. I learned why the only time I ever saw her ask her father for a favour, when he retorted with "Why should I? What have you done for me lately?" >:(
Now, she MAY just be a nice person - I make origami flowers on my lunch break for people that have been out sick for a few days, and made origami gold stars (they are large, and very cool looking) for teammates when we have no other official recognition of events, and that sort of thing. They look difficult and time consuming, but I leave a stash of paper at my desk and do them on my lunch break, or take my regular break and make them then.

However, she may be manipulative, or feel like she's got to get a store of favors before she can ask for anything. It's too early to tell.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4357 on: August 29, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Reciprocity in social psychology refers to responding to a positive action with another positive action, rewarding kind actions. As a social construct, reciprocity means that in response to friendly actions.

So this could mean I invite you to dinner, and then in kind, you invite me to dinner.

But the devious can also use this.

"Reciprocal actions are important to social psychology as they can help explain the maintenance of social norms. Reciprocity is so strong that a person will feel obligated to return a favor regardless of whether they like the person who originally gave the favor and even if they did not want the favor, as was demonstrated in an experiment by Dennis Regan in 1971.[4] Regan had subjects believe they were in an “art appreciation” experiment with a partner, who was really Regan’s assistant. In the experiment the assistant would disappear for a two-minute break and bring back a soft drink for the subject. After the art experiment was through, the assistant asked the subject to buy raffle tickets from him. In the control group the assistant behaved in exactly the same manner, but did not buy the subject a drink. The subjects who had received the favor, a soft drink, bought more raffle tickets than those in the control group despite the fact that they hadn’t asked for the drink to begin with. Regan also had the subjects fill out surveys after they finished the experiment and found that whether they personally liked the assistant or not had no effect on how many tickets they bought. One problem of reciprocity, however, focuses on the unequal profit obtained from the concept of reciprocal concessions. The emotional burden to repay bothers some more than others, causing some to overcompensate with more than what was given originally. In the Regan study, subjects paid more money for the tickets than the cost of the (un-requested) soft drink."

(from wikipedia)

So by giving coworker's daughter the bracelet, AnnoyingCoworker maybe putting a down payment on future favors. Beware.

Also check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Franklin_effect
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:47:17 AM by bopper »

cwm

« Reply #4358 on: August 29, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »

Well, there's also the classic sci fi....Babylon 5, Star Trek Voyager... Star Trek in general, managed to keep their casts. Scrubs kept their core together for 8 years and got several of them to make appearances in their 9th season. If we're counting cartoons, there's the Simpsons, which has held their cast for over 20 years.

And looking at that variety of shows I listed, I look like a total nerd. I'm off to do some nerdy stuff now.

Stargate SG-1 did pretty well, so did the X-Files. Supernatural has had the same main characters for 8 years running (and running and running), but everyone else has died. Well, they've died too, but that's beside the point...

S&O: SVU did really well with keeping the main cast together, too. Not too many changes there, IIRC.

faithlessone

« Reply #4359 on: August 29, 2013, 01:01:12 PM »

Stargate SG-1 did pretty well, so did the X-Files. Supernatural has had the same main characters for 8 years running (and running and running), but everyone else has died. Well, they've died too, but that's beside the point...

S&O: SVU did really well with keeping the main cast together, too. Not too many changes there, IIRC.

Grey's Anatomy? Nine years on, a few characters have left (probably fewer than would have done in RL, in fact!), but the core of Meredith, McDreamy, Cristina, Alex, Bailey and Chief Webber are all still around.

asb8

« Reply #4360 on: August 29, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »

They changed out their entire cast at least twice.  They just managed to do it well, which is no mean feat.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #4361 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »

Grey's Anatomy? Nine years on, a few characters have left (probably fewer than would have done in RL, in fact!), but the core of Meredith, McDreamy, Cristina, Alex, Bailey and Chief Webber are all still around.
Seinfeld.
Rosanne.
Frasier.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

TeamBhakta

« Reply #4362 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
Bad news, Team Bhakta. I would not help co-worker, let her work her way out.

I definitely won't help her out. New co-worker must either be the relative of someone higher up or really good at blackmail, because she repeatedly does not show up for work. And then our boss freaks out about "New Co-Worker randomly didn't show up! Someone please take her workload today even though you weren't originally scheduled!" Anybody else gets fired for not showing up at our company, but this girl just arrives for her next scheduled day like nothing happened.
*ETA: She has told me before "I hope you will help me out and tell me how to do things. Tell me if I do things wrong." Yeah, not happening.  :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:04:24 PM by TeamBhakta »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4363 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:42 AM »
Also check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Franklin_effect
Holy cow! That might be why she's repeatedly asking random people in the office for small favours ("Oh, could you just crawl under my desk to plug in my laptop cable" to one coworker, "Oh, I hurt my leg, please could you help pick up my bag for me" to another, "Oh can I borrow your access card"). Except coworker she asked to plug in her laptop cable now lurks near my desk in the morning to avoid being asked to do it again, and her constant asking for favours from everyone is starting to annoy several people.

She did however completely firebomb the one relationship in this office that would have helped her the most. On her first day here, when SeniorAnalyst walked up to new coworker to introduce herself it went something like this:

SA: Hi, I'm [name]. I'm the Se--
NCW (interrupting): Are you the one from [distant suburb she lives in and is trying to find a lift with]?
SA: Uh, no.
NCW: Oh. (turns away and ignores SA and continues talking with other coworker).

At that point, SA pretty much decided she loathed new coworker, which is a problem, since Senior Analyst knows our systems inside out and is the go to person for our entire department and senior management at the company when they have questions about certain major parts of our company processes.

SA said to me "Some people have g@ydar. I have [femaledog]-dar and it just went BING BING BING".

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4364 on: August 30, 2013, 03:14:29 AM »
SA said to me "Some people have g@ydar. I have [femaledog]-dar and it just went BING BING BING".

*snerrrrrk*snerk*snerk*snerk*snerk* ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"