Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1416208 times)

squeakers

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4365 on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:45 AM »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4366 on: August 30, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
We have two locations where the existing workflow that all 7 other locations use is just not good enough. The two diva locations want to stop using the existing very expensive database my university uses and start their own database, which requires that we buy another server drive, since it will be thousands of records. The diva locations actually gave misinformation as reasons why the existing system doesn't work.

Fortunately, my IT friend heard warning bells in his head while reading the demand emails and contacted me. I attempted to explain, but had him come in my office so I could demonstrate how it works. Yeah, new database system is not going to happen.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4367 on: August 30, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
Update from SA with the [femaledog]-dar: apparently Boss (who is almost never in the office) has got wind of the personality clashes going on with new coworker. He asked Senior Analyst her impression of new coworker. SA gave boss her unfiltered honest opinion. Boss is "making a plan" about new coworker. That means that she's probably on her way out.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4368 on: August 30, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
M's workplace seems to be committing PD.

The jobsite itself is ending soon, but it's got to remain operative until then.  In the meantime, they're scaling back in preparation to close.  Wait, scaling back isn't the right term... oh, that's right.  They're doing the other thing.  They're increasing the workload.  14 hour days are no longer uncommon.  M's coworkers are starting to talk walkout, the place is close to revolt, and M is severely burned out (yes, we're looking at options).  Not to mention *always* tired (hour long commute, 14 hour day, hour long commute home.)

Frankly, it's driving me bonkers with the stress, and I don't even work there!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4369 on: August 30, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
This should be for all time of employment, but especially if you were only hired days ago: Don't come to work drunk. The manager can smell the booze on your breath, and will send you home, at best (AFAIK, the co - worker in question has not been fired yet).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Shalamar

« Reply #4370 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
WOW.   :o

I'll admit to having a glass of wine at lunch when I got my first job (this would be about 25 years ago), but in my defense, all the other ladies were having wine, too.  (That's why I had some - I wanted to fit in.)  We were always very giggly on Friday afternoons.  :)  Showing up smashed first thing in the morning is another matter altogether!

goldilocks

« Reply #4371 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »
We had a contract worker that everyone loved, and we were working on hiring full-time.  We couldn't do that until his contract was up. 

Now, he knew when his contract was coming up, he knew he had applied for a full time job with us and he knew he was going to have to take a drug test!!!

Can you see where I'm going?   How do you fail a drug test that you know is coming!!

Shalamar

« Reply #4372 on: August 30, 2013, 05:18:14 PM »
I ... got nothin'.    He wanted the job, he was up for the job, he was pretty much 99.9% certain to GET the job provided he passed the drug test, and he took drugs anyway?  Nope.  Not a clue. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4373 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
I ... got nothin'.    He wanted the job, he was up for the job, he was pretty much 99.9% certain to GET the job provided he passed the drug test, and he took drugs anyway?  Nope.  Not a clue.

Guess that goes in the "Evidence drugs DO make you stupid" file.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4374 on: August 30, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
WOW.   :o

I'll admit to having a glass of wine at lunch when I got my first job (this would be about 25 years ago), but in my defense, all the other ladies were having wine, too.  (That's why I had some - I wanted to fit in.)  We were always very giggly on Friday afternoons.  :)  Showing up smashed first thing in the morning is another matter altogether!
Ah yes, the "good ole days."  When I was young, about 40 years ago, I was a medical legal transcriptionist working for an insurance company.  The insurance adjusters hated to dictate their investigation reports.  I don't know why.  They would go out for a 3 martini lunch at a restaurant known for their 1 foot tall martinis.  Then they would stumble back to the office and mumble their profanity strewn report.  Then I would be expected to type it in final version with 3 carbon copies.  No drafts allowed.  And the final report was not supposed to contain profanity, so I had to have a filter between my ears and my fingers.

Several years later I worked as a civil engineer for a consulting engineering firm.  We had a group that "did lunch" every Friday.  We would go to a nice restaurant, split a couple bottles of wine, and liberally pour Bailey's in our coffee so we wouldn't sober up too much before returning to a very unproductive Friday afternoon in the office.

Now I work for the government and we are not allowed to report to work under the influence of alcohol or any other drug, prescribed or illicit.  We don't have random drug/alcohol screening, only testing for "cause" which is defined as acting abnormally or erratically.  I would be suspended if I came back from lunch as buzzed as I did at the 2 offices mentioned above.  Then I would be required to undergo substance abuse therapy, mandated drug/alcohol screening, and be placed on probation.  If I came in buzzed again, I would be fired immediately.  I'm pretty sure clearing out my desk would be a serious buzz kill.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

nuit93

« Reply #4375 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »
We had a contract worker that everyone loved, and we were working on hiring full-time.  We couldn't do that until his contract was up. 

Now, he knew when his contract was coming up, he knew he had applied for a full time job with us and he knew he was going to have to take a drug test!!!

Can you see where I'm going?   How do you fail a drug test that you know is coming!!

Depends on the drug in question.  Some, depending on the rate of usage and testing method used, will show up for months or years after last use.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4376 on: August 30, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
I was trying to be charitable with her actions, but the more I look at what she did, the more manipulative she seems.  :(

Yeeeep. The more you tell, the more hinky she sounds. :P

Admittedly, it's entirely possible she doesn't realise what she's doing. She might have grown up in a family where this is the usual way of operating - you have to gather 'favours' that you've done other people (whether they wanted them or not!) as 'currency' to use for getting your own way later. I had a friend in school who was like that, always giving people little presents and offering to help with tasks. I learned why the only time I ever saw her ask her father for a favour, when he retorted with "Why should I? What have you done for me lately?" >:(

I've heard that before.  I've had some chats recently with my older two regarding this attitude, saying that on one hand you should watch for a relationship growing too one-sided with one person doing a lot and not getting back.  But on the other hand you should do things for someone else expecting a favor in return.  Being 12 and 10 they were a little confused until I simplified it and said "Don't do something for someone with the mindset of 'what's in it for me.'  But if someone is always asking favors and never doing anything in return, it's not a good system.  That, they seemed to understand. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hjaye

« Reply #4377 on: August 30, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
   How do you fail a drug test that you know is coming!!

Easy..... He didn't study hard enough.......................... DUH!!!!!    :)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4378 on: August 30, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »
Some PD that I hope is happening.

Background: I'm the chief technical person (propeller-head) for our product and I report directly to the CEO. My peer is someone I'll call EVP (for Executive Vice President), who is over just about everybody else in marketing and development. EVP and I do not get along. I'm a pretty loud and boisterous person in meetings and apparently that offends him. I never call people names but if I feel passionate about something, well, that passion comes through. His attempts to rein me in come across as very, very condescending; who says to a senior person "well, there are other intelligent people here"? Also, he doesn't listen. I could list dozens of issues that he's caused me. Nobody I have talked to in the company likes him; several of our business partners have said things to me as well.

I was in a call with the development team today and one of them mentioned having done a demo to a business partner and having seen that partner's technical presentation. This is good, except that's exactly the kind of meeting that I should be involved in. So I sent a note to the CEO and EVP that said: "I understand we had a meeting/demo with a potential business partner X. In the future I would appreciate being invited to meetings like this." The CEO's response: "I assumed you were invited and agree!"

EVP has left me off of a few other things, his excuse being "I'm trying to be protective of your time." Condescending much? I report to the CEO. I'm a big boy. I can make decisions about my time, thank you very much. We'll see if he uses that excuse for this incident.

EVP also signed a legal document that he shouldn't have, essentially giving away some of our intellectual property. Why he hasn't lost his job yet, I don't know. Except that he does have ties to a company we're trying to land as a customer.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

EveLGenius

« Reply #4379 on: August 30, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »
More chemists committing PD, this time by photoshop:

http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2013/08/13/alleged-data-manipulation-in-nano-letters-and-acs-nano-from-the-pease-group/

Briefly, a paper was submitted to and published in a very prestigious chemistry journal.  AFTER publication, readers started noticing that in the photos, the experimental objects (nanoparticles) had very distinct boxes of color around them, often with the same flaws on "different" particles...  When the blogger contacted the professor in charge of the lab, he told them that the matter was under internal investigation, and that they better not post a blog entry or he'd sue them for libel.  The paper has been removed from the journal.  One commenter notes that the defense against libel is to tell the absolute truth.

My personal favorite comment was the person who re-photoshopped the pictures to remove the obvious flaws, and said it took him about 10 minutes, including time to get the demo version of PhotoShop.