Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1294977 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4545 on: September 21, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »
The last few offices I worked in had core hours of 10am - 3pm.  So whether you were working from home or working in the office, you were expected to be available within 15 min of phone contact during those hours.  If you needed time off during those hours you were expected to take personal time and/or put it on your shared calendar as PT.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4546 on: September 21, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »
The last few offices I worked in had core hours of 10am - 3pm.  So whether you were working from home or working in the office, you were expected to be available within 15 min of phone contact during those hours.  If you needed time off during those hours you were expected to take personal time and/or put it on your shared calendar as PT.

This is the crux of the issue with my one boss. She will say she's working from home, blah, blah, blah, but then tell us she has this appt, or that appt, and really maybe only working 3-4 hours in that day. Which any of the rest of us would put down as PTO, since that's how its supposed to be done. You're working half a day, and doing your stuff in the other half, you take half a PTO.

She however, we suspect, does not do this,  based on the amount of actual vacation she takes in a year, vs. what she's actually entitled to. And she does this regularly. For example, yesterday, she took her customary 1.5 hour lunch, breezed back in for about 10 minutes, and announced she had a dr. appt, and would be "online" later. Dr. appt, based on when she left, and when she announced she was back, was about 2 hours. that's 3.5 hours, so half a day. But since she was there in teh am, and back on her computer for a short while after, she considers that to be working all day.

DollyPond

« Reply #4547 on: September 21, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »

This is the crux of the issue with my one boss. She will say she's working from home, blah, blah, blah, but then tell us she has this appt, or that appt, and really maybe only working 3-4 hours in that day. Which any of the rest of us would put down as PTO, since that's how its supposed to be done. You're working half a day, and doing your stuff in the other half, you take half a PTO.

She however, we suspect, does not do this,  based on the amount of actual vacation she takes in a year, vs. what she's actually entitled to. And she does this regularly. For example, yesterday, she took her customary 1.5 hour lunch, breezed back in for about 10 minutes, and announced she had a dr. appt, and would be "online" later. Dr. appt, based on when she left, and when she announced she was back, was about 2 hours. that's 3.5 hours, so half a day. But since she was there in teh am, and back on her computer for a short while after, she considers that to be working all day.

My workplace has a weird rule - if a salaried employee "works" 4 hours in one day then they can get paid for all 8 hours without claiming PTO.

Our past supervisor (who was finally fired for other offenses, not for time cheating) completely abused the system and routinely worked only 4 hours a day.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4548 on: September 21, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »

My workplace has a weird rule - if a salaried employee "works" 4 hours in one day then they can get paid for all 8 hours without claiming PTO.

Our past supervisor (who was finally fired for other offenses, not for time cheating) completely abused the system and routinely worked only 4 hours a day.

technically speaking, mine, I think, works this way too. I know it does for sick time. If you work at least half a day, then go home not feeling well, it doesn't count as sick time. I suspect it works the same way with simple leaving early, or coming in late, and since we're salaried, its nice not to have to worry about making up a random 15 or 30 minutes, every now and then. I know I will do, a few times a year though, NOT each and every day, or several times a week, like my one boss. I'ts not meant to work that way, but sadly, her higher ups don't have a blessed clue, so she continues to be able to get away with it

magician5

« Reply #4549 on: September 21, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

This was in 2011.  :o

Nutcases still abound.
http://www.fixthefamily.com/blog/6-reasons-to-not-send-your-daughter-to-college

Take out all the religious references and my mom's ex-husband could have written that.

I wish I were kidding.  There's nothing more surreal than being yelled at for taking college prep classes instead of home ec...and this was in the late 90's.

Religious or non-religious, political or non-political, and sometimes it's family, isn't it amazing how many people know exactly how you should be spending your own life ... the ONE life you get ... and get very upset that you don't agree?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:40:45 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4550 on: September 21, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »

If you are in the US, that may be a legal requirement under the Fair Labor Standards Act. If you are salaried (as defined in law) in an "exempt" category, you cannot be required to use leave credits in amounts less than a full day. The idea is that a salaried employee is paid a set amount, no matter how much or how little they work. Courts have held that "you cannot dock pay for absences of less than a day. If salaried employees show up for a few minutes, they get the full day’s pay."

On the other hand, exempt employees cannot be paid overtime. They can get compensating time off. (Work 8 hours overtime, get 8 hours of leave credits.) There can be restrictions on comp time.

You can rad more details here.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #4551 on: September 21, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
We had a fringe group in elaborate robes that would set up pedestals near our math building and then preach about how America (where we are) is full of terrible, selfish ungodly people and how women shouldn't be allowed to go to college or get jobs. Women should be married out of high school and stay at home the rest of their lives taking care of the house and children.

This was in 2011.  :o

Nutcases still abound.
http://www.fixthefamily.com/blog/6-reasons-to-not-send-your-daughter-to-college

Take out all the religious references and my mom's ex-husband could have written that.

I wish I were kidding.  There's nothing more surreal than being yelled at for taking college prep classes instead of home ec...and this was in the late 90's.

Religious or non-religious, political or non-political, and sometimes it's family, isn't it amazing how many people know exactly how you should be spending your own life ... the ONE life you get ... and get very upset that you don't agree?

Very true, magician5.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4552 on: September 21, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
TechCrunch tech conference kicks off with two guys presenting an app called "Titstare."  Where you can upload pictures of breasts and rate other people's uploads.  And somehow the organizers of this conference had no idea anyone would find this (made-up, I hope) app presentation offensive.  A second presenter also simulated masturbation during his talk.

The official apology was "The two presentations were taken out of context.  Also, the presentations were intended as satire.  We apologize if anyone was offended."

(They did eventually release a much better apology, but seriously?  Didn't they think the presentations might be worth, oh, at least a casual glance before giving them the green light?)

*headdesk**headdesk**headdesk* Why must people like this be Australian?! *headdesk**headdesk**headdesk*

*mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant**mustnotanswerwithpoliticalrant*

Ahem

I have no idea...

What possible context could make this OK?

"Well, we're all guys, and guys like looking at boobs and rating them so this is a brilliant app! And we all love to joke about s*x! Who could possibly be offended... There are women here? Aren't the secretaries supposed to be in their offices?"

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4553 on: September 21, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
My boss is one who is a complete hypocrite when it comes to leave*.

He hammers team members for leave forms when any leave is taken, gives us a hard time about it, when we apply for annual leave he never approves it till virtually the day before the leave is due to start.  This, as you can imagine, makes life rather difficult, particularly the annual leave, as he's been known to not approve leave when trips have been booked and paid already.

On top of this, he never submits the forms to the payroll office.  A few weeks ago, he submitted nearly 2 years' worth of leave forms, in one lump batch, to payroll, so my colleagues and I got hit with them all at once, in one pay period.  It affected our take-home pay considerably.

To top it off, he never, ever submits leave forms for himself.  He's had two 4-week overseas trips, multiple overseas and Australian conferences, time off to take his elderly parents to hospital appointments, all in the past 12 months.  He's also had a week in hospital himself.  Yet according to his payroll record (yes, one of our team has access to it), he's not taken any leave for over 8 years.

His direct manager is the CEO, and it is the CEO's responsibility to ensure these forms have been filed.  We work in the public sector, there's a state election due within 6 months, and it is expected there will be a change of government.  Usually there's a clear-out of high level staff when the govt changes.  So we're all just collecting and documenting everything right now for our own protection.

* leave, among other things.  I could write a book based on this dude.  Trouble is, nobody would believe it!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4554 on: September 21, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
You consider reporting him? 8 years on the books with no leave could be fun if he ever left.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4555 on: September 21, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
That's why we're collating all the evidence.  It won't happen immediately but we're getting a fairly large dossier on him.  He's actually trying to get rid of us, you see, hence the self protection.  (He likes yes-men, we have all been in the business longer than him and know more, so we challenge.  He doesn't like that, but public service has very stringent rules for firing, which he has to follow.  So far it's been more smoke than fire, but we're getting prepared.  The union is aware of what's happening too.)

MissRose

« Reply #4556 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
If you work at home you've got to have self-discipline.  I work from home, and I'm expected to be working on my account at a certain time.  My biggest issue is that I'm in a different state and three hours behind the office, and occasionally they forget to tell me things.  I guess that's a good thing:  I'm so reliable that no one needs to give me a second thought.  (Sigh.)

Even when I get to work from home, I am to do my work.  We connect to the network remotely, and our bosses know when we are logged in to handle email and/or phone calls.  I do not even tell others when I work from home because they may think that I am working from home, I am free to do as I please when I am not able to do so!

cwm

« Reply #4557 on: September 24, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
If you work at home you've got to have self-discipline.  I work from home, and I'm expected to be working on my account at a certain time.  My biggest issue is that I'm in a different state and three hours behind the office, and occasionally they forget to tell me things.  I guess that's a good thing:  I'm so reliable that no one needs to give me a second thought.  (Sigh.)

Even when I get to work from home, I am to do my work.  We connect to the network remotely, and our bosses know when we are logged in to handle email and/or phone calls.  I do not even tell others when I work from home because they may think that I am working from home, I am free to do as I please when I am not able to do so!

Working from home really just depends on what kind of job you're doing. My BF works from home sometimes. During the day, he's actually concentrating pretty hard on work, but when he's on call in the evenings, usually it's code deployment and he's only needed in case some bit of code affects the program he works with. So most night deploys, he'll have people over, we'll play games, we'll watch a movie, he just has to have his headset on and be able to respond whenever they need him. Everyone we're with understands, and if we have to put the game on pause for him to work, we're fine with that.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4558 on: September 24, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
BG:  We are suddenly looking for a new computer-tech services person (she has opted to stay home due to her child care totally falling through for her brand new baby and daughter under 4). 

I'm spreading the news far and wide and utilizing our state's job link site.  Job seekers post resumes and invite employers to contact them. I've been contacting..../BG

One gentleman just posted his resume today.  Job skills almost an exact match, in the geographical area, hmmm, promising.  So I sent an introductory email and attached the application.  The response? 

"Who are you and why are you sending this to me?"  No, not promising at all.   

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4559 on: September 24, 2013, 05:45:42 PM »
BG:  We are suddenly looking for a new computer-tech services person (she has opted to stay home due to her child care totally falling through for her brand new baby and daughter under 4). 

I'm spreading the news far and wide and utilizing our state's job link site.  Job seekers post resumes and invite employers to contact them. I've been contacting..../BG

One gentleman just posted his resume today.  Job skills almost an exact match, in the geographical area, hmmm, promising.  So I sent an introductory email and attached the application.  The response? 

"Who are you and why are you sending this to me?"  No, not promising at all.   

*facepalm*  Although I have been on those state resume sites and sometimes the emails can get a bit spammy and annoying.

However, the correct response is to READ the whole email and then respond.