A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (915/2326) > >>

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on October 01, 2013, 01:05:54 PM ---^^^  That link just took me back to her original video.  :(

--- End quote ---

Scroll down - the response video is at the end of the article.

AngelicGamer:
I went and googled for the video instead of scrolling.  *facepalm*

Here's the link though: http://youtu.be/1ukGrwL4ky4

I'm still on Marina's side and less on the company, even with the response video.  :)

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on October 01, 2013, 01:08:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: gramma dishes on October 01, 2013, 01:05:54 PM ---^^^  That link just took me back to her original video.  :(

--- End quote ---

Scroll down - the response video is at the end of the article.

--- End quote ---

Ah ha!   ;D

ladyknight1:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on September 30, 2013, 07:51:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twik on September 30, 2013, 09:35:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: Thipu1 on September 30, 2013, 09:21:17 AM ---I know the feeling.  Mr. Thipu was a government employee.  Although the service for which he worked generated a substantial profit for the state, it was always under great pressure to cut back.  The annual picnic had to go.   

It didn't help that the directors of the service were appointed by the Governor so top management changed every four years.

--- End quote ---

I think it's also unfortunate that many of the fifth estate sometimes jump the gun and accuse government workers of not doing things properly, when the real problem is that the reporter doesn't understand what it is that is being done

--- End quote ---
::) Like the venerable $600 toilet seat and the $200 hammers.  If your government office needs hammers, you can't take $20 out of petty cash and go buy a couple at Home Depot or Sears.  No, you have to put out a call for your suppliers to bid on.  And if the lowest bid comes in at $200 per hammer, then that's how much your office will pay for them.

--- End quote ---

Here is where it gets tricky. I work for an organization that is part of the state government. The state decided where and what we can buy as far as anything beyond basic office supplies. Every once in a while, organization decrees we can no longer order from Y supplier, we must switch to Z. This can lead to big problems, when something supplied is only available from Y.

Also, no petty cash fund exists.

alkira6:

--- Quote from: Iris on September 30, 2013, 08:15:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Elfmama on September 30, 2013, 07:51:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twik on September 30, 2013, 09:35:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: Thipu1 on September 30, 2013, 09:21:17 AM ---I know the feeling.  Mr. Thipu was a government employee.  Although the service for which he worked generated a substantial profit for the state, it was always under great pressure to cut back.  The annual picnic had to go.   

It didn't help that the directors of the service were appointed by the Governor so top management changed every four years.

--- End quote ---

I think it's also unfortunate that many of the fifth estate sometimes jump the gun and accuse government workers of not doing things properly, when the real problem is that the reporter doesn't understand what it is that is being done

--- End quote ---
::) Like the venerable $600 toilet seat and the $200 hammers.  If your government office needs hammers, you can't take $20 out of petty cash and go buy a couple at Home Depot or Sears.  No, you have to put out a call for your suppliers to bid on.  And if the lowest bid comes in at $200 per hammer, then that's how much your office will pay for them.

--- End quote ---

^That drives me mad at work, too. Stuff that I could pick up down the road for $3 has to go through an 'approved' supplier that charges $5 and so on up the line. Then when the press quite rightly takes offense at this waste of taxpayer dollars they blame the workers instead of the stupid bureaucratic system. All the while we're standing there saying "We know this is stupid! What are you looking at us for!"

--- End quote ---

This sooo much.  I can't just get a purchase order and get notebooks on sale for .17 at wally world, no we have to use the "approved vendor" who charges $2.75 for a single 70 sheet one subject notebook.  This kills me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version