Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1284312 times)

HorseFreak

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4710 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
A woman came into the professional office I work in today to apply for our Experienced Assistant job. This position requires either a 2 year degree in that specific training program OR years of hands-on actual experience. She reeked of smoke and when asked about a resume she looked at the manager and I like we were crazy, said she didn't have one since she got all her "experience" doing things not in her job description at a retail location vaguely related to our field with a very poor reputation. When asked if she could write and bring one in she didn't seem to get it and kept saying she could just tell us everything she knew and did.

As soon as she walked out the door with my manager basically saying, "Don't call us, we'll call you," we exchanged very raised eyebrows and started laughing. In what world do people think that is going to work? I didn't want to spend another second near her.

Unfortunately, we may also have a thief. To get into our place of business you need the security code and a key. Your code depends on your position, but someone came in with the "management" (for lack of a better classification) code at 11 pm when we close around 5 and presumably emptied the envelope of gas money. The manager asked me today if I had taken it for gas or expenses and I told her I hadn't needed to in a couple weeks and I had gotten it directly from her the last few times. If I don't I leave a note or send a text.  None of the likely suspects should know that code or have any reason to be in the office at that time of night. My boss and I are really the only ones who should be. I'm kind of sad it happened and I hope there's a simple explanation since our staff is fantastic.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4711 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »
This isn't quite professional Darwinism, just...karmic Darwinism maybe?

I was watching one of those "Border Security" shows about the various agencies that handle goods and people arriving in the country.

This person was being questioned at an airport. Initially, he was selected for secondary screening based on the unusual fact that he had left Home Country 2 years before and been living in Other Country for 2 years and was now asking to enter My Country. His not having a permanent residence anywhere raised some concerns.

After a series of truths, half truths and outright lies, they deduced that:

1) He was not coming to visit as initially stated - he was coming to work - without proper documentation.
2) He had no money. (Well, he had something like $6 in the bank) He had no return ticket to anywhere.
3) He admitted to having a criminal record and said he'd been in jail for "3 or 4 years" - but couldn't tell them when he'd been released. (You'd think that would stick in your mind, no?)
4) The charge he said he'd been jailed for was very serious and pretty much keeps you from entering any other country. Ever.
5) Turns out the charge wasn't from 10 years prior, it was from 2 years prior. The 2 years where he suddenly left Home Country for Other Country.
6) And. to put the cap on it, turns out he'd never been convicted because he'd jumped bail and fled. And was wanted for Very Serious Crime (and flight and probably a host of other stuff).

The nice people at the airport gave him some nice silver bracelets to wear, a free room to stay in and called his Home Country to let them know they'd found Bad Guy.

And to make this all odder was that he let the crew film him. (Participants have to agree to have their transactions filmed.) So even if he got in, his Wanted Self would be all over national TV....

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4712 on: October 15, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »

I was watching one of those "Border Security" shows about the various agencies that handle goods and people arriving in the country.

This person was being questioned at an airport. Initially, he was selected for secondary screening based on the unusual fact that he had left Home Country 2 years before and been living in Other Country for 2 years and was now asking to enter My Country. His not having a permanent residence anywhere raised some concerns.

1) He was not coming to visit as initially stated - he was coming to work - without proper documentation.
2) He had no money. (Well, he had something like $6 in the bank) He had no return ticket to anywhere.
3) He admitted to having a criminal record and said he'd been in jail for "3 or 4 years" - but couldn't tell them when he'd been released. (You'd think that would stick in your mind, no?)
4) The charge he said he'd been jailed for was very serious and pretty much keeps you from entering any other country. Ever.
5) Turns out the charge wasn't from 10 years prior, it was from 2 years prior. The 2 years where he suddenly left Home Country for Other Country.
6) And. to put the cap on it, turns out he'd never been convicted because he'd jumped bail and fled. And was wanted for Very Serious Crime (and flight and probably a host of other stuff).

The nice people at the airport gave him some nice silver bracelets to wear, a free room to stay in and called his Home Country to let them know they'd found Bad Guy.

And to make this all odder was that he let the crew film him. (Participants have to agree to have their transactions filmed.) So even if he got in, his Wanted Self would be all over national TV....

Hey, he got his "fifteen minutes of fame" and on television, too!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #4713 on: October 15, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »

I haven't watched that show, but apparently one of the security guys is the son of a co-worker (his proud mama was telling everyone :) ). They said this isn't unusual. One of the reasons he loves his job is that every day is different - there are new bizarre people and crazy stories every time. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4714 on: October 15, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »
Which show is this?  I don't watch much TV, but I'm curious enough to track down an episode or two :)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #4715 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
I know that the Australian show is just called Border Security and it's got some *great* stories on there - and the things that people try and get past Australian Customs and Immigration are jaw-dropping at times. Google should be able to point you to online viewable episodes and I think there was a US version made.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4716 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:52 PM »
I know that the Australian show is just called Border Security and it's got some *great* stories on there - and the things that people try and get past Australian Customs and Immigration are jaw-dropping at times. Google should be able to point you to online viewable episodes and I think there was a US version made.
I know.  There are stories out there about people who try to smuggle endangered animals in their trousers and the like.  How does one sit comfortably on the plane with cockatoos or tortoises in one's underwear?  Even if they are sedated....
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4717 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »
...   How does one sit comfortably on the plane with cockatoos or tortoises in one's underwear?  Even if they are sedated....

Which ones?  The cockatoos and tortoises or the passengers stowing them?  ;D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4718 on: October 15, 2013, 11:23:01 PM »
Which show is this?  I don't watch much TV, but I'm curious enough to track down an episode or two :)

It's called "Border Security" and this one is based in Canada.
I know there are a couple of similar ones based in the US - usually focused on a particular element of law enforcement.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4719 on: October 16, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »
There's also Airport Security which is based in the UK. Mostly they try and snuggle cigarettes.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #4720 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:19 AM »
There's also Airport Security which is based in the UK. Mostly they try and snuggle cigarettes.

LOL! I am sorry but that typo is the best!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4721 on: October 16, 2013, 02:51:49 AM »

It's called "Border Security" and this one is based in Canada.
I know there are a couple of similar ones based in the US - usually focused on a particular element of law enforcement.

Okay, for anyone else interested, this show is indeed on YouTube and I've just watched the first several episodes in a row.  It's really fascinating  ;D  There's actually a computer game called "Papers Please" (you can get it on Steam, those of you who do computer gaming) and it made me think of that.  In "Papers Please" you're a border guard in a soviet-like county and you're examining people's passports - it's surprisingly addictive for such a simple game!  But I bet the interesting parts of the game pretty closely mirror the interesting parts of an actual customs job, based on what I see on the show - probably 95% boredom and then 5% "Dude, I just found $500,000 worth of cocaine!"

SoCalVal

« Reply #4722 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »
Potential PD - I keep a card with this history with me - and I had given them the information. They still gave me a medication that should be a sedative but sends me cartwheeling into orbit. Sis showed up just in time to stop them from giving me another medication with a similar  history of reactions.

This is what results in what (at my hospital, anyway) is called an "incident report" (errors and near-misses that were avoidable).  They try not to make these PD cases as staff is encouraged to report and learn from these issues.  However, repeated issues of this nature (like from the same area or individual) can (and have) resulted in PD.

Fortunately, as long as I've been hearing about these IRs (shorthand for "incident report"), we haven't had the errors be fatal yet (so for the past 2.5 years I've been attending the meetings where these IRs are mentioned).

SoCalVal

« Reply #4723 on: October 16, 2013, 05:22:44 AM »
I wish my manager would stop letting my coworker get away with, well, not hardly doing anything.  She made a joke about "What would you guys do without me here?" and I couldn't help but think "The same thing we do with you here - since you don't really do much of the work."  I couldn't really come up with a sincere and nice response...I swear she must be blackmailing the management to still have her job.

I'd find it difficult not to answer this way and let the chips fall where they may (basically, to answer, should she ask what that meant -- "Our workload doesn't change whether or not you're here").

KB

« Reply #4724 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:52 AM »
There's actually a computer game called "Papers Please" (you can get it on Steam, those of you who do computer gaming) and it made me think of that.  In "Papers Please" you're a border guard in a soviet-like county and you're examining people's passports - it's surprisingly addictive for such a simple game!  But I bet the interesting parts of the game pretty closely mirror the interesting parts of an actual customs job, based on what I see on the show - probably 95% boredom and then 5% "Dude, I just found $500,000 worth of cocaine!"

Papers, Please is amazing despite the apparently dull premise and I highly recommend everyone to give it a go!

/end of threadjack