Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1368446 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4755 on: October 22, 2013, 02:20:12 PM »
Oh my!  The same thing happened at my place of work.  This guy, who was sort of OK when simply following orders, got promoted and one of his first jobs was was in charge of envelope inserts.  He made, approved, and printed thousands of fliers with 800 instead of our 888 number (yes, 800 was a scrabble line.)  It wasn't even the loss of money on the fliers that was bad, but the fact they went out.  I know the guy so I wasn't actually surprised.  Nice guy, but he coasted on charm and big talk rather than boring stuff such as details and it finally caught up with him.  At least it made the higher-ups start to realise what the rest of us already knew.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:22:03 PM by rose red »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4756 on: October 22, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »
Walt Disney World printed 800-WDW-DINE on brochures for dining reservations.

That was a phone scrabble line.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #4757 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
I think a couple guys committed it this morning.

I was called in for a job interview.  I was there early, as was a man.  Another man was actually in with the interviewer when the interviewer got a call that his son was being taken to the hospital in anaphylactic shock.  The interviewed pretty much dropped everything on the receptionist's desk and ran for the parking garage.  That's actually how we know what happened, he barely even slowed down as he was passing her desk to say 'JakehadanallergicreactionImgoingtohospitalnow'.

My response was to say that I hoped his son was okay, of course I understood, he could call me back to reschedule later and I'm so sorry his son was injured.

The response of the two guys?  Ranting about how unprofessional it was for a man to prioritize a life-threatening injury to his child over his work and how upset they were he'd wasted their time and made them drive all that way for nothing.

If looks could kill, the receptionist would have smote them both on the spot.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4758 on: October 22, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »
I think those guys may have lost the job and you may be in, a lost of companies ask the receptionist for her impressions of the interviewees.

nuit93

« Reply #4759 on: October 22, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
I think you just got yourself a job! (or you would if it were up to me)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4760 on: October 22, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »

A friend of DH's almost committed PD of a similar sort, not for calling a scrabble line, though. Back in the 80's, when rocks were soft, cellphones were still bricks, and the then-Soviet Union was the Evil Empire, Friend worked for an agency of the US federal government.  Friend had a security clearance of the type 'I could tell you what I do, but then I'd have to kill you.' 

Friend was looking for a good used car.  He saw one in the newspaper that looked promising, so on his lunch break he called the number from his office phone. And the person on the other end answered "Soviet Embassy, how may I direct your call?"

Yep, he had to explain to the Agency Head Honcho just why a call went out from an agency phone to the Soviet Embassy, and not just his security clearance but his continued employment and possibly freedom of movement were seriously threatened.  I think they had to have someone (not on an agency phone!) confirm that there was indeed a used car offered for sale at that number.  That and the fact that the phone connection lasted for all of 2 seconds saved his bacon-fed knave.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #4761 on: October 23, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »
Ooh, I just remembered one of mine!

Back in the early 90's, I was asked to investigate several of our databases and look for certain types of information.  I was given a complete list of databases to look at, and I set to.  All of them were fairly straightforward except for one - it was password-protected, which seemed odd.  I asked my supervisor about it, and he just blew me off with a vague "Eh, just skip that one."

The following day, I was called into the Big Boss's office, and he demanded to know why I was trying to access the company's salary information.  Yup, that database was password-protected for a reason.  Even though I'd been unsuccessful in getting into it, the mere fact that I'd tried had sent up red flags, and I was potentially in real trouble.

Fortunately, I was able to present the list of databases my supervisor had asked me to look at, and there was the name of the salary info one in black and white.  (If it had been called SALARY INFO, that would've been a tip-off, but it was just called something innocuous like "COMPANY DATABASE".)

exitzero

« Reply #4762 on: October 28, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »

My cousin did it for the hotel reservation information that went out in her wedding invitations.
Her father said he had to call the number three times just to make sure he actually heard what he thought he heard.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4763 on: October 28, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
Piers Anthony is a writer of fantasy novels (including ones for children/young adults).  He used to own a phone number that was something like 1-800-HI-PIERS and you could call for information about the books or something.  But then he stopped it, and it was sold to some sort of scrabble phone line company.  The problem is that, well, he's an author, and the phone number was printed on many books that were still available at bookstores, libraries, used book sales, etc.  He got a lot of complaints over that one!

Hillia

« Reply #4764 on: October 29, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
BIL just cannot keep his mouth shut.  He was promoted to a management position at work, and within a week was posting obscenity-laden tirades on FB about how much he  hated his job, how awful his bosses were, etc.  Not terribly bright when you consider that he's got most or all of his bosses and coworkers friended, and that his new position is managing editor of a small town newspaper.  So his bosses told him to cut it out, and he did...for awhile.  Now someone needs to remind him that posting 'I'm not allowed to post negative things about my job on FB, but if I were, I'd be swearing a lot right now...'

He's just begging to be fired.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #4765 on: October 30, 2013, 02:10:41 AM »
When PD snowflakes collide:

Mr 16 Years (from this post: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=74341.msg2948446#msg2948446) has run face first into Little Miss Needy (from this post: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=74341.msg3006519#msg3006519).

Yesterday I got to sit in one of the most uncomfortable team meetings ever. The last 15 minutes were tied up in a very tense conversation between Miss Needy (legitimately) asking why it was taking Mr 16Y so long to get his act together and get this darn project moving. Mr 16Y spent it accussing Miss Needy of not understanding how Mr 16Y works, what the necessary tasks are, and very nearly flat out stating that Miss Needy doesn't know how to do her job. It was all icy politeness and gritted teeth, but I suspect Miss Needy will be on Mr 16Y's  silent treatment naughty list, which is going to make this project all kinds of awesome.

The rest of the team spent the last 15 minutes of the meeting staring at their notepads or laptop screens and studiously ignoring the venomously polite argument going on.

Then my coworker with the female-dog-dar mentioned that Mr 16Y had grabbed Boss later that day to complain loud and long about having his proffessionalism insulted.
Little Miss Needy is proving to be living up to her nickname.

Every conversation or meeting I have with her somehow involves her telling us about what's gone wrong in her life that day. In the last two weeks we've had:

"I was in a car accident yesterday and my back is so sore!"
"I've got such a headache from my eyes today!"
"My daughter is so sick, I have to take her to the doctor again!"
"My daughter has gone AWOL after she wrote her exam this morning!"

The other women in the office (all middle aged matronly types) are all about making sympathetic noises. I'm just so fed up with her constant whining I either keep my mouth shut (if there are other people there to make the sympathetic noises she wants) or change the subject to something work related (if it's just me on the receiving end). It can get a little odd when we're having two different conversations at once.

Her: My daughter went AWOL after writing her exam.
Me: Sooo should I go ahead and do that change or wait for client approval?
Her: She drives me so mad sometimes!
Me: I guess waiting for client approval is a better idea at this point in time.
Her: Oh, yes, I'll phone them this afternoon and ask.

Since she doesn't get much reaction or sympathy from me, she spends very little time around me.

On the plus side, she took yesterday off sick and sent an email saying she'd be off sick for the next three days as well. Phew, less attention seeking in the meetings for a few days.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #4766 on: October 30, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Wow, so she basically said to not assign her to any training class.  I hope it is mandatory.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4767 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
Wow, so she basically said to not assign her to any training class.  I hope it is mandatory.
To which post were you replying?  To which "she" are you referring?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4768 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
I was just reminded of one that happened to my sister years ago (the date will become apparent later on).  My sister was an assistant manager at a bank branch, and they had just taken on a Management Trainee, who was new to banking in general.  Trainee was having problems catching on, and at times would make odd mistakes (odd in that she would almost have to be brain dead to make them).

One day, Trainee does a money order for a customer, who leaves and returns almost immediately saying that the money order is for the wrong amount.  Customer wanted (and paid for) money order of $150.00.  What she received was a money order for: $52,819.98.   :o

So my sister voids out the first one, and redoes the transaction.  Trainee is so distraught that she asks to go home early, which she is allowed to do.

Later that day, my sister goes to set something on Trainee's desk, and accidentally kicks over a tote next to the desk.  Out rolls an empty fifth of vodka.  In the desk, they found 3 more empties.  This might explain the "brain dead" errors.  Trainee always seemed worse after lunch, too.

While contacting HR, the manager figures out the bizarre amount of the money order: it is that day's date, May 28, 1998 (52819.98). 

Next morning, HR is waiting for Trainee, and they walk her out.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Amara

« Reply #4769 on: October 30, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
Sophia, was your reply to my (now-deleted) post about Maria? If so, a quick answer. Yes. the training is mandatory. But she has upped her snit factor by about ten so I had to work things around to suit her refusal to move her lunchtime back by 15 minutes. I may not be able to discipline her--though her ongoing and long-term covert nastiness should merit it--but I am keeping detailed notes and printouts of her emails for the discussion that will ensue when my supervisor returns.

Oh, and I am repeating the eHell mantra to myself about not being able to change others, only my attitude. It's helping!