Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1319650 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #4845 on: November 06, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »
I can tell you a funny story about the KKK, and a true one according to my American history teacher.  One year the wives of the Klan members refused to make the costumes from white sheets. So the men had to make do with bed sheets. And not all were white, but had pastels, stripes, spots and florals.

I know the history of them, and how awful they are. But I just think it's hilarious they were jumping about in bright colours and patterns. And sort of ironic if you think about it for a bit.

SoCalVal

« Reply #4846 on: November 06, 2013, 02:31:51 AM »
I can tell you a funny story about the KKK, and a true one according to my American history teacher.  One year the wives of the Klan members refused to make the costumes from white sheets. So the men had to make do with bed sheets. And not all were white, but had pastels, stripes, spots and florals.

I know the history of them, and how awful they are. But I just think it's hilarious they were jumping about in bright colours and patterns. And sort of ironic if you think about it for a bit.

Slightly O/T -- DH had a relative (I think his great-grandmother) who, for some reason, the local KKK decided they needed to make an example of for something by terrorizing her home one evening.  DH said, however, she recognized them, even in their hoods (I don't remember how), and yelled at them, calling them out by name, and stating, "How dare you attack me, a widow alone with her children (or something like that -- I don't remember her exact status)!  Get out of here!"  The KKK members retreated and said "Sorry, DH's great-grandmother" and left.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #4847 on: November 06, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
At a Halloween waltz party back in college, one person decided to go for shock value and came as Hitler.

Rob

Bet that went over well. :P

Anyone remember when Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi officer for a party?

He was booed out of the room. Of course, that he came in doing the Nazi salute didn't exactly help matters.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Cherry91

« Reply #4848 on: November 06, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »
We can add to this list the Michigan girl who dressed as an injured Boston Marathon bombing victim for Halloween. She said there was nothing to be ashamed of, because she wasn't dressed as somebody dead or with limbs hanging off  ??? She lost her job because of this

Or the guys who dressed as George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, including blackface. What goes through peoples' minds?

They've learned that being "edgy" and "pushing the envelope" is what it's all about. That's what popular culture tells us, anyway - offensive is cool. They don't tell you that it only works if you're a celebrity.

And sometimes, not even then.

There's "edgy" and then there is 100% pure tasteless.

Well, that's it - you have to know how to balance on that line. Unfortunately, there is a lot of entertainment out there that also does not seem to know that fine balance.

Yup.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20749699,00.html

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/10/29/laverne-cox-julianne-hough-blackface/

There's an article in one of the papers today about two UK clubbers who went to a Halloween costume competition... as the Twin Towers.

Planes sticking out, fire painted on and all.

It gets worse. They won.

I'm hoping some heads roll over this one...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4849 on: November 06, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »

We looked at a house in a somewhat rural town 45 minutes from where I live now. The town is great, we really liked most everything, until we saw the local KKK hangout and restaurant. The letters are spelled out in the name, but it is definitely intended for the KKK group members and not the average citizen.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4850 on: November 06, 2013, 09:01:24 AM »
7 of the Worst Resumés Ever

Listing a previous job as "Marijuana dealer & nefarious dude," for example, may not be a good career move. Says the article, "Let this be a reminder that you don't have to include every job you've ever had."

Or,
This overeager jobseeker noticed the Technical Director of a company had died, and then mistook that as a chance to get his foot in the door by applying for the deceased’s job. His cover letter stated “Each time I apply for a job, I get a reply that there’s no vacancy but in this case I have caught you red-handed and you have no excuse because I even attended the funeral to be sure that he was truly dead and buried before applying.”

He then attached a copy of the man’s death certificate along with his resume. Yup. Just let that classiness wash over you for a second.
The article has links to original stories about the resumés

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4851 on: November 06, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »
A school principal in my area has been fired for dressing up as Mr. T for Hallowe'en.

And yet, the mayor of Toronto still has a job.   ::)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #4852 on: November 06, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
What is wrong with Mr. T? 
I never watched the show but I old enough to have.  I remember they were all good guys, doing good things. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4853 on: November 06, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
The guy who dressed up wasn't black but used makeup to darken his skin.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4854 on: November 06, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
The guy who dressed up wasn't black but used makeup to darken his skin.
*headdesk*

gollymolly2

« Reply #4855 on: November 06, 2013, 10:29:55 AM »
So he wasn't fired for dressing as Mr. T, he was fired for wearing blackface. I feel like if you don't have the good judgment not to wear controversial costumes to your job, you probably don't have the judgment to stay employed.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4856 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
7 of the Worst Resumés Ever

Listing a previous job as "Marijuana dealer & nefarious dude," for example, may not be a good career move. Says the article, "Let this be a reminder that you don't have to include every job you've ever had."

I have some sneaking sympathy for the no-longer-nefarious dude. His resume says, post nefariousness, he "got himself right", and had been so for many years.

I would admit that running a profitable drug operation would give you many transferable skills, as long as you didn't transfer the attitude towards legal compliance along with it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #4857 on: November 06, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
Another one bites the dust: The Washington Times Fires Rand Paul for Plagiarizing Column

Last week, Politico and MSNBC reported that some of Paul's speeches included plagiarized passages from the Wikipedia pages of Gattaca and Stand and Deliver, as well as language from Associated Press articles. And this past weekend, BuzzFeed reported that Paul copied at least three pages of his 2013 book, Government Bullies, from a 2003 Heritage Foundation study.

Head, meet desk.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4858 on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
Another one bites the dust: The Washington Times Fires Rand Paul for Plagiarizing Column

Last week, Politico and MSNBC reported that some of Paul's speeches included plagiarized passages from the Wikipedia pages of Gattaca and Stand and Deliver, as well as language from Associated Press articles. And this past weekend, BuzzFeed reported that Paul copied at least three pages of his 2013 book, Government Bullies, from a 2003 Heritage Foundation study.

Head, meet desk.
AP is going to nail his behind to a wall.  They feel that there is no such thing as "fair use"; they won't even let you quote a snippet of one of their stories on a forum or in a blog, or put a link to one of their stories.  They will allow you to do it IF you pay for the use of the whole article, at $2.50 per word
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hillia

« Reply #4859 on: November 06, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »

Head, meet desk.
AP is going to nail his behind to a wall.  They feel that there is no such thing as "fair use"; they won't even let you quote a snippet of one of their stories on a forum or in a blog, or put a link to one of their stories.  They will allow you to do it IF you pay for the use of the whole article, at $2.50 per word.

But of course, he's being targeted by 'hacks and haters', and he would like to legally murder them (aka duel) for slandering his good name, just like in the good old days:
http://gawker.com/rand-paul-plagiarized-3-pages-of-his-book-wants-to-sho-1458063394

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools