A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (983/1325) > >>

ladyknight1:
We have a person that works in our office that became sick two weeks ago. At this point, she has missed 7 days of work. That is not PD.

She has not gone to the doctor yet (she has medical coverage through our employer). She doesn't know if she is contagious, needs medication, nothing. She has family members who live with her that could take her for medical care.

What is really sad is that her absence has not affected work flow at all.

siamesecat2965:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on November 19, 2013, 08:48:52 AM ---We have a person that works in our office that became sick two weeks ago. At this point, she has missed 7 days of work. That is not PD.

She has not gone to the doctor yet (she has medical coverage through our employer). She doesn't know if she is contagious, needs medication, nothing. She has family members who live with her that could take her for medical care.

What is really sad is that her absence has not affected work flow at all.

--- End quote ---

She sounds like my one boss. when she's in, its more annoying than when she's not, and things run much smoother wiht her not here.

Midnight Kitty:
It almost sounds like she doesn't want to get well.  :-\

ladyknight1:
My personal feeling is that I have a few chronic conditions that I have to see my physician periodically about and if I get sick with something more than a cold, I go to the doctor as I simply do not have the inclination to be out of work for more than a day or two unless I have to.

If someone who is rarely ill gets sick like this, I understand the "wait it out" approach, but only for a few days. It has been 11 days since the person got sick.

cwm:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on November 19, 2013, 04:18:31 PM ---My personal feeling is that I have a few chronic conditions that I have to see my physician periodically about and if I get sick with something more than a cold, I go to the doctor as I simply do not have the inclination to be out of work for more than a day or two unless I have to.

If someone who is rarely ill gets sick like this, I understand the "wait it out" approach, but only for a few days. It has been 11 days since the person got sick.

--- End quote ---

Most places I've worked have a policy where if you're going to be out more than 2 consecutive days (or more than five days in a 10 day period, I think), you need a doctor's note before you come back. It was general practice to either have someone in your family drop the note with managers or fax it in as soon as you had it so they knew how long to take you off the schedule. I always thought it was ridiculous, because if I've got a bad cold and I know I'll be out for 3 days, there's nothing a doctor can do for me.

Now I know why policies like that exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version