A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74

<< < (983/2257) > >>

Lillie82:
On the "I'm Never Shopping There Again," thread (Reply #5104), I just posted about the funeral home that just forwarded, to the charity my mom heads up, some donations made to that charity in honor of someone who passed away...in November 2012. A year went by in between the funeral and the sending these donations on. The donation made by check may not be acceptable to the bank, because it's dated a year ago.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=83832.5100

When further investigation was made, the staff person at the funeral home vaguely said, "Oh, yeah, my secretary just went through some old files." My mom's acknowledgements to the people who donated were pretty grovelling,=: "So sorry we're just now thanking you, but we only just got this!" She wondered how the funeral home could NOT be grovelling.

WolfWay:

--- Quote from: Dr. F. on November 20, 2013, 08:18:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on November 20, 2013, 07:25:36 AM ---I'm blind..I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out.  someone let me know if they see them

--- End quote ---

They're off having an eyeball party with mine somewhere. Good grief! How long is this going to be allowed to go on?

--- End quote ---
My country has some heavy-duty labour laws about how much evidence you need before you can fire someone. You can't simply say "you're fired" unless they've broken the law or clearly violated their contract conditions. HR have to build up a solid paper trail before they can dismiss someone, to prevent lawsuits. I think mostly they're trying to push Mr 16 Years into changing jobs and from what I've heard he's looking and interviewing for jobs at the moment.

Sophia:
I've heard that when calling references for a job or rental applicant, that you should pay most attention to place before their current place. 
Imagine HR getting a reference request on Mr. 16.  You know they are going to give him a glowing review just to get rid of him. 
Same with a really bad renter.  Great review from the current landlord. 

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: Sophia on November 20, 2013, 11:45:02 PM ---I've heard that when calling references for a job or rental applicant, that you should pay most attention to place before their current place. 
Imagine HR getting a reference request on Mr. 16.  You know they are going to give him a glowing review just to get rid of him. 
Same with a really bad renter.  Great review from the current landlord.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely!

I have had employees in the past whom we have specifically decided to give good references to in the hopes they will just be gone!    We also address the problematic behavior though so normally they see the writing on the wall and quit anyway before getting to the point of a new job.  But I would absolutely give them a glowing reference if it got rid of them.  In the future?  I would be honest as to what the issues were.

Margo:
You can't do that here (UK). There is a legal obligation for a reference to be fair, accurate, and not misleading.

It tends to mean that someone who is not impressed with an employee will give a very basic reference which simply says "X was employed here from [date] to [date] as a [job title]"

We recently had a member of staff where that was literally all we felt we could say in the reference..

(We could have said a lot more while still being accurate and non-misleading, but he really would not have wanted us to. And yes, we did have to point that out when he tried to talk us into adding some glowing recommendations. It would have been fun...)

I recently wrote a reference for a friend of mine who needed a personal reference as well as a professional one. I took a copy of the form in case I made any mistakes and needed to rewrite  and am thinking about doing a more flamboyant one to send to her  as a joke (she already has the job she was applying for, so there are no negative associations to worry about)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version