Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1291538 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5010 on: December 04, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
Mr 16 Years is throwing his toys out the cot.

Mr16Y is now claiming a hostile work environment because Boss refuses to allow one of his projects to proceed until he fixes up a document. Mr16Y is also now demanding that the entire team gather together and have a general grievance airing session about what they don't like about him and why they have a problem with him.  :o

I wouldn't show up for that. Because in the back of my mind I'd be thinking "Oh my deity, this is a trap and he's gonna go all armed disgruntled postal worker on us..." Yes, I have an overactive imagination.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5011 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »

Mr16Y is now claiming a hostile work environment because Boss refuses to allow one of his projects to proceed until he fixes up a document. Mr16Y is also now demanding that the entire team gather together and have a general grievance airing session about what they don't like about him and why they have a problem with him.  :o

I wouldn't show up for that. Because in the back of my mind I'd be thinking "Oh my deity, this is a trap and he's gonna go all armed disgruntled postal worker on us..." Yes, I have an overactive imagination.
I still remember the disgruntled Xerox employee who shot several of his coworkers here in Honolulu.  I'm sure you don't want to be the victim of a copy cat. <pun intended>
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5012 on: December 04, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Third, because I think it's something he/she should hear and they do not sound capable of getting polite hints. However, we all know that will only invite them to argue and keep the dialog going.

I'd opt for a succinct "You are not qualified for this position. I suggest you consult a career counselling service to help you. Please do not contact us again." lather rinse repeat if they call or email.

I'd go for more generic, "The position has been filled. A qualified career counseling professional would be of far greater help with your questions. I recommend you find one and take your resume and cover letter to them for assistance."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5013 on: December 04, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
Well, he or she did *ask* for feedback, perhaps you should send it... :-D

No way am I sending that!  It's the type of thing that goes viral.

He did get a firm generic response however, and hopefully stops calling.    I loath it when job applicants keep leaving message after message.  It's as if they think I'm just sitting there waiting for applicants.   More often than not I'm not even in the office, and when I am I'm busy managing my staff and rushing in and out of meetings.   Leave a message, I'll call you back.  Leave 3 messages in a row, I'm probably going to file you in the "annoying" pile.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5014 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
Ceallach - What? You aren't impressed with their enthusiasm? >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Tea Drinker

« Reply #5015 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

Mr16Y is now claiming a hostile work environment because Boss refuses to allow one of his projects to proceed until he fixes up a document. Mr16Y is also now demanding that the entire team gather together and have a general grievance airing session about what they don't like about him and why they have a problem with him.  :o What the heck is he trying to achieve by that?  Boss is joking about offering to sell popcorn to the event. I really don't want to be there for this drama.  I don't see how ANYTHING positive can come out of it. Unless Mr 16 Y is trying to martyr himself or something.  >:(

That didn't work well during the Cultural Revolution, and it's not likely to work much better if the target organizes it himself and feels free to shout back.

I would, seriously, tell the boss that I don't think this meeting is a good idea, and that I hope it's not going to happen, because (all else aside) it seems as though Mr16Y is trying to undermine the boss's authority. Even if the team needed some sort of family therapy, which I doubt, a "let's all shout at each other" session isn't it.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

z_squared82

« Reply #5016 on: December 04, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
So, it probably wonít turn into PD, but one can hope.

My friend is a high school teacher. A student assaulted her in class. She was not hurt, but the other students saw it, potentially affecting her authority.

She finds out the student is getting a VERY light punishment for the assault. Friend did not care for that, went to talk to the appropriate person in charge.

Who basically told her that being assaulted was part of her job and she needed to get used to it.

Stunned, my friend said she was fairly certain the teacherís union would disagree. Said person in charge laughed, said no they wouldnít, but she should feel free to talk to them about it.

The teacherís union is not amused, does not think that being assaulted is part of friendís job description, and the complaint is now working its way through the proper channels.

(This will probably not affect the studentís discipline, but now friend is mostly upset at the lack of support she has received from the administration. And on the up side, all the students in the classroom who saw the assault, all of whom think snitching is for female dogs, volunteered to write up what they saw if it would help my friend/their teacher.)

alkira6

« Reply #5017 on: December 04, 2013, 06:56:08 PM »

My friend is a high school teacher. A student assaulted her in class. She was not hurt, but the other students saw it, potentially affecting her authority.

She finds out the student is getting a VERY light punishment for the assault. Friend did not care for that, went to talk to the appropriate person in charge.

Who basically told her that being assaulted was part of her job and she needed to get used to it.

Stunned, my friend said she was fairly certain the teacherís union would disagree. Said person in charge laughed, said no they wouldnít, but she should feel free to talk to them about it.

The teacherís union is not amused, does not think that being assaulted is part of friendís job description, and the complaint is now working its way through the proper channels.

(This will probably not affect the studentís discipline, but now friend is mostly upset at the lack of support she has received from the administration. And on the up side, all the students in the classroom who saw the assault, all of whom think snitching is for female dogs, volunteered to write up what they saw if it would help my friend/their teacher.)

Yeah, that's when you say screw it and file a police report.  Getting hit is not part of my job.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5018 on: December 04, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
Wow, I am outraged on the teacher's behalf.

We had a school shooting today, where many of my friend's children attend. I hope your friend has a positive outcome.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5019 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »

Mr16Y is now claiming a hostile work environment because Boss refuses to allow one of his projects to proceed until he fixes up a document. Mr16Y is also now demanding that the entire team gather together and have a general grievance airing session about what they don't like about him and why they have a problem with him.  :o What the heck is he trying to achieve by that?  Boss is joking about offering to sell popcorn to the event. I really don't want to be there for this drama.  I don't see how ANYTHING positive can come out of it. Unless Mr 16 Y is trying to martyr himself or something.  >:(
I wouldn't go. I figure he is trying to prove the hostile environment claim by recording and editing the grievance airing session.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5020 on: December 04, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »

Yeah, that's when you say screw it and file a police report.  Getting hit is not part of my job.
I agree. When a 5th grader pulled a BB gun on Coach, our principal refused to punish the girl because it was coach's fault for kicking the girl out of a club. The cops refused to take action because it was "she said/she said" with a little of it isn't a real gun thrown in.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #5021 on: December 04, 2013, 09:35:21 PM »

I agree. When a 5th grader pulled a BB gun on Coach, our principal refused to punish the girl because it was coach's fault for kicking the girl out of a club. The cops refused to take action because it was "she said/she said" with a little of it isn't a real gun thrown in.

I can't with that. There are people who have been killed with BB guns.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #5022 on: December 04, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »

That happened to my mother. A student pushed her, and when she complained, she was told the student would be punished. The next day, all the students went on a cool field trip to an amusement park and the student still got to go. My mom was supposed to chaperone--she declined.

greencat

« Reply #5023 on: December 04, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
I hope I witnessed professional darwinism in action.  A manager in another department had the following heavily paraphrased exchange with a lead from another team and the boss that is over both the manager's team and the other team.

Other team lead:  We need this thing from your team, and it needs to do this certain thing for us in this certain way, so we can do our jobs later on down the line.
Manager:  So I'm going to have my team do this thing this way.  It will do (something entirely different than what the other team asked for), like you guys wanted.
Other team lead: No, we need it to work the way we asked for originally, because otherwise we won't be able to do our jobs.
Manager: But we don't want you guys to be able to do that thing.  We need to work together to document why we can't do this thing.  Can't we all get along while we don't do this thing?
Big boss:  Do the thing the way they asked for it, because that's the way the thing works.
Manager: (and this part is NOT paraphrased.) Fine.

Yes, he responded to his boss like a sulking teenager.  In an email that went to myself, a few of his subordinates, the entire other team that made the request, and his boss.

The emails continued today.

Other team lead: Here's everything you need to do it the way we asked.
Manager: Thank you for giving me that.  I still don't think you need things to be that way and I'm not going to do it that way.
Other team lead: But that's the only way it will work.

Big boss hasn't yet dropped the hammer in response to that, but I'm making sure I take my last bag of popcorn to work tomorrow.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5024 on: December 05, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »

I'm a corrections officer and getting hit is not part of my job.  There is no way it is part of a teacher's job.  I second whoever said something about filing a police report.  I'm glad your friend followed up with it to the union; she shouldn't stand down at all.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.