Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1423113 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5040 on: December 06, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »
Update. Friend filled out correct form with Union. Administrator quietly removed student from friend's class. Although administrator did not follow the proper procedure, all the Union was really going to be able to do was get the student out of her class, so once they hear the student has been removed, they'll drop it.

Friend is still mad as ehell, especially since this administrator is in charge of her review, but they have mostly been avoiding each other. Administrator retires this school year, so friend won't have to deal with it for longer than that.
Next time, friend shouldn't bother with the school's chain of command, since they have proved that they aren't responsive, or the union, since they were willing to expose ANOTHER teacher to a violent student.  If she's assaulted again, she needs to call the cops and have the student charged, not just shuffled off to another class.  And maybe the local news.

Both my girls were assaulted at different times, on school property.  The school was just going to suspend the perps for 3 days.  We called police and filed charges.  The more violent offender was sentenced to Juvie, the other got community service and an additional punishment that fit the crime.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #5041 on: December 06, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
Update. Friend filled out correct form with Union. Administrator quietly removed student from friend's class. Although administrator did not follow the proper procedure, all the Union was really going to be able to do was get the student out of her class, so once they hear the student has been removed, they'll drop it.

Friend is still mad as ehell, especially since this administrator is in charge of her review, but they have mostly been avoiding each other. Administrator retires this school year, so friend won't have to deal with it for longer than that.
Next time, friend shouldn't bother with the school's chain of command, since they have proved that they aren't responsive, or the union, since they were willing to expose ANOTHER teacher to a violent student.  If she's assaulted again, she needs to call the cops and have the student charged, not just shuffled off to another class.  And maybe the local news.

Both my girls were assaulted at different times, on school property.  The school was just going to suspend the perps for 3 days.  We called police and filed charges.  The more violent offender was sentenced to Juvie, the other got community service and an additional punishment that fit the crime.

This is why I'm glad that the time I got repeatedly slammed into my locker, the two kids had police reports filed on them by the school. No one should have to sit idly by and be physically abused.

Vita brevis, ars longa

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #5042 on: December 06, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
A fellow nurse was once hit with a metal footstool by a patient. Said patient was in full control of his senses and was competent, and was a larger male than the nurse who was struck. Coworker called hospital security, and insisted they call police so he could file an assault  report. Security was reluctant to do so, but coworker was a stubborn, and he insisted.

His unit manager later called him into her office and read him the riot act for wanting the patient charged. IIRC, the patient was not charged/punished in any way.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #5043 on: December 09, 2013, 01:05:35 AM »
This isn't exactly professional Darwinism, but I can't believe they let themselves be caught for such a dumb reason...

Saw on Yahoo News that a bunch of American gangsters (73 of them, in fact) have been arrested for Medicare fraud.  They stole a bunch of identities of patients and doctors, set up phantom clinics where phantom doctors saw equally nonexistent patients, and billed Medicare.  They got caught.

How'd they get caught?  Medicare got wise to what was happening because (among other things)...
(1)  ENT (ears, nose, and throat) doctors were doing pregnancy ultrasounds.
(2)  Ophthalmologists were doing bladder tests.
(3)  Obstetricians testing for skin allergies.
(4)  Dermatologists billing for heart exams.

It just amazed me that these people didn't have the brains to research this a little bit first.  I don't think anyone would have suspected a thing if a low-level minion had walked into a book store and picked up a medical guide.  There are a couple of companies (Merck is one) who put out very comprehensive medical guides for the general public.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_bi_ge/us_medicare_fraud_arrests

I know this is an extremely old post, but thought I'd add another one to it. On the old show ''Unsolved Mysteries,'' a group of Medicaid scam artists who did the same thing were profiled back in the early 90s. Best example? They wrote that men were having gynocological problems.  ::)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5044 on: December 09, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
This isn't exactly professional Darwinism, but I can't believe they let themselves be caught for such a dumb reason...

Saw on Yahoo News that a bunch of American gangsters (73 of them, in fact) have been arrested for Medicare fraud.  They stole a bunch of identities of patients and doctors, set up phantom clinics where phantom doctors saw equally nonexistent patients, and billed Medicare.  They got caught.

How'd they get caught?  Medicare got wise to what was happening because (among other things)...
(1)  ENT (ears, nose, and throat) doctors were doing pregnancy ultrasounds.
(2)  Ophthalmologists were doing bladder tests.
(3)  Obstetricians testing for skin allergies.
(4)  Dermatologists billing for heart exams.

It just amazed me that these people didn't have the brains to research this a little bit first.  I don't think anyone would have suspected a thing if a low-level minion had walked into a book store and picked up a medical guide.  There are a couple of companies (Merck is one) who put out very comprehensive medical guides for the general public.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_bi_ge/us_medicare_fraud_arrests

I know this is an extremely old post, but thought I'd add another one to it. On the old show ''Unsolved Mysteries,'' a group of Medicaid scam artists who did the same thing were profiled back in the early 90s. Best example? They wrote that men were having gynocological problems.  ::)

To be fair, medical billing can be incredibly complex.  Doctors' offices have to tick off boxes on sheets with thousands of billing codes, many of which aren't labeled intuitively, and if they tick the wrong ones the insurance may deny payment altogether.  Obviously for a fraud operation of that size they should have made sure they had everything right  ::) but I can absolutely see how even a reasonably intelligent person could be billing things wrong and not know it.

faithlessone

« Reply #5045 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
A second-hand PD!

My BFF works for an advertising agency in London. They recently took on a new junior executive, who my BFF was supposed to train. Let's call her "Crystal".

According to Crystal's CV, she had a lot of basic experience in advertising, including a 9 month internship at one of the agency's competitors. Everything seemed to check out.

Apparently she is a complete nightmare. She doesn't have a very professional attitude - very loud, joking all the time. In her first two weeks, she had to be given 3 talks about dress code. Her time management skills are completely absent. She picks up some aspects of the job really quickly, but others have to be explained to her over and over again. Part of her job is to liaise with employees/clients in other countries, but she frequently Female Dog about having to stay late or come in early to talk to them (time zone issues - this was all in the job description and contract that she agreed to). She has very poor spelling and grammar skills, making even more work for my BFF because a lot of what they do goes online to the public, and poor English doesn't reflect well on them or their client.

The tipping point came on Friday. She was supposed to have an hour-long meeting with the "big boss" (my BFF's boss's boss), to explain exactly how their biggest client's brand works / exactly what her job is going to entail once her three-month "training" period is over. Now, this guy is super busy. SUPER busy. For him to take an hour out of his schedule to talk to an employee three rungs below him is a big deal.

- Crystal was 10 minutes late.
- She put on lipstick during the meeting.
- She asked several questions about salary/benefits/expenses (not his area, and definitely not what the meeting was about, wasting time).
- After half-an-hour, she told him that she had loads of work to do, and she ought to get back to it.
- Then she just got up and left.

My BFF is pretty sure they're not going to be keeping her after this week!!!

eltf177

« Reply #5046 on: December 09, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
I'm not sure there's much more Crystal could have done to really destroy her chances with keeping her job! And I don't see her getting much of a reference either.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5047 on: December 12, 2013, 04:40:32 AM »
Umm... wow... (not sure if this falls under Special Snowflake or PD, since I'm not sure he's even a SL translator in the first place).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/10510455/Nelson-Mandela-memorial-interpreter-was-a-fake.html

On the funny side of things, some scoundrel has set up a fake twitter account under the name "@memorialsigner" that had me crying with laughter.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Shalamar

« Reply #5048 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
I'm thinking that whomever hired him has probably committed PD.  Did they even check his credentials?  Not to mention that he now says he suffers from mental illness which occasionally leads to violent episodes, and he was standing on stage next to President Obama.  Yikes.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5049 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:13 AM »
Does anyone else ever think, "Maybe I shouldn't be reading this while at work?"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:05:39 PM by Sophia »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5050 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
No.  >:D

magicdomino

« Reply #5051 on: December 12, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »

It may have crossed my mind a time or two . . .

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5052 on: December 12, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »

That doesn't stop you though, does it? ;)

KarenK

« Reply #5053 on: December 13, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »

That doesn't stop you though, does it? ;)

Doesn't stop me.  ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #5054 on: December 13, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
Just a brief look at ranking before I start this on-going train wreck...

From top to bottom:
Shift Commander*
Captain
Shift Leader*
Lieutenant
Sergeant
Officer

*The SC is a captain, but he is the captain over the daily operations of the entire facility but mostly watches one side of the facility.  The SL is a lieutenant, but he is the lieutenant over the daily operations of the other side of the facility.

A fellow officer in my department, upset at how the SL had handled a situation (in effect saying an offender could do something she had said he couldn't), sent the SL an e-mail that said something to the effect of, "If your staff wants to change the rules of my area, your staff can run my area."  Later that day, when the SL ran into her, she proceeded to literally raise her voice yell at and scold him, in front of a sergeant nonetheless.

When counseled by our (her and my) captain, she came crying to me that our captain told her whatever the SL and SC says goes and they have command over our areas, too, as they are responsible for the entire facility.  She has another meeting with our lieutenant and captain this week.  We'll see if she gets herself into more trouble.

The worst part?  When talking to her (read: listening to her) about her yelling at the SL, she told me that if our supervisors had taken care of the issue, it (her yelling) never would have happened.  Sadly, this is a known pattern in her behavior of her not taking responsibility for herself.

I don't know how the meeting went, but I do know she is really digging herself a hole as I witnessed part of it and she told me the other.

We are not able to change our schedules without our lieutenant's approval.  She did that once before and got written up for it; this was months ago.  Just recently, she had an unusual day off (so not her usual weekend), forgot, and showed up to work anyway.  Instead of realizing this and going home, she stayed to work anyway.  Our captain was none to happy and told her so.  She said he was furious, but I am taking that with a grain of salt.  My guess is that he is just fed up with her antics.

Later that day, at shift change, I was talking to both our captain and lieutenant near to the exit as we were leaving.  The captain would acknowledge people leaving by saying their name and doing one of those head nods.  I want to make it clear that he did this to absolutely everyone.  When he did it to her, she snapped his name back at him in disgust.  In front of other people.  She is really not endearing herself to anyone.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.