Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1375061 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5055 on: December 13, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
^^^^

someone give me a wall so I can go bang my head against it

cwm

« Reply #5056 on: December 13, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
^^^^

someone give me a wall so I can go bang my head against it

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5057 on: December 13, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
At a nearly empty restaurant, a waitress seated us near the bathrooms. She refused to let us sit at another table, further from the bathrooms, because it was another waitress' section. And then another party came in a few minutes later and she seated them at the better table we'd asked for. Yeah, the corporate office will be getting an email

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5058 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:51 PM »
At a nearly empty restaurant, a waitress seated us near the bathrooms. She refused to let us sit at another table, further from the bathrooms, because it was another waitress' section. And then another party came in a few minutes later and she seated them at the better table we'd asked for. Yeah, the corporate office will be getting an email

Why on earth did she seat them at the better table when you came along first?!

ladymaureen

« Reply #5059 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
Because it was the other waitress's turn.

Jocelyn

« Reply #5060 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

This is common enough, if one is a woman dining alone. Apparently, it fills the other diners with horror, to see someone dining without a companion, so we should be shuttled back to the most obscure and undesirable table.  Either that, or they assume that women just aren't going to tip, so they don't deserve a decent table...and the server needn't come back and see if they need anything else. There's a certain well-known chain that tried this on me twice (once while I was dining with a female friend, once when I was alone) and I won't go back.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #5061 on: December 13, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »

This is common enough, if one is a woman dining alone. Apparently, it fills the other diners with horror, to see someone dining without a companion, so we should be shuttled back to the most obscure and undesirable table.  Either that, or they assume that women just aren't going to tip, so they don't deserve a decent table...and the server needn't come back and see if they need anything else. There's a certain well-known chain that tried this on me twice (once while I was dining with a female friend, once when I was alone) and I won't go back.

I wasn't dining alone.
*ETA: After that party left, she seated another group at that table.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:53:37 PM by TeamBhakta »

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5062 on: December 14, 2013, 01:59:51 AM »
When I was a hostess I'd catch flak from the assistant manager if I seated too many tables in one waitress' section over another, even if the customers had requested that particular person or if there was some reason why the customer had to be seated in that section, e.g. we didn't have too many tables where wheelchairs fit easily, or if someone couldn't physically manage a booth, etc.  Then again, the assistant manager was an old bat who was convinced I was after her job (which I wouldn't have taken no matter how well paid it was) so she took every opportunity to chew on me and/or tell on me to the manager, who fortunately took what she said with a considerable grain of salt.

However, the OP said the restaurant was nearly empty, so none of this should have been an issue.   

AngelicGamer

« Reply #5063 on: December 16, 2013, 02:39:30 AM »
When firing your head chef over the fact that he would like to off on Christmas because it's his daughter's 1st Christmas, make sure that you have the password to the Twitter account.

Otherwise, this might happen.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5064 on: December 16, 2013, 03:12:03 AM »
I wonder if the chef is going to be using that excuse every Christmas for the next 18 years. "But I have a daughter!" Drives me crazy. We have people here who demand the big 3 off because THEY have family. As if the rest of us do not.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5065 on: December 16, 2013, 03:30:42 AM »
I wonder if the chef is going to be using that excuse every Christmas for the next 18 years. "But I have a daughter!" Drives me crazy. We have people here who demand the big 3 off because THEY have family. As if the rest of us do not.

I used to have a coworker who stated she needed to have weekends off because she spent every Sunday doing work for the church (it wasn't true as she didn't go anywhere near church ever -- yes, we, her coworkers, all knew this, but I'm guessing she was betting management didn't know this).  Management didn't buy it and didn't give her every weekend off (eventually, they let her have EVERY DAY off because she passed around, at work, pictures of herself posing in lingerie in the hotel room she got in the hotel where the work Christmas party was that year).

I've been under the impression that, in the restaurant industry, it's a sucky-given that major holidays are pretty much mandatory work days due to the nature of the industry (that the busiest days are going to be the major holidays).  If this should be true, then it sounds like that chef has shot himself in the foot for future employment.

MissRose

« Reply #5066 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
I work in an industry where we do have to have some staff available EVERY day of the year.   On the major holidays, most departments will post the schedule via an email, and the managers will often ask first then if not enough volunteers, then by seniority (some may do by most to newest or some do newest to most).  When I was first there, for a while, I worked just about every major holiday.  What really got me is my mother telling me to work them so those with kids could have the day off (did she think I would like to spend time with family lol).  I have a spine now, and do not tell her what holidays I work vs not.

Some types of places always have to have to be staffed due to the nature of the work, and if you go into that type of work (restaurants, hotels/resorts, some stores, medical, police, tech support for internet/cable tv etc), you need to realize that you may have to work some holidays.

weeblewobble

« Reply #5067 on: December 16, 2013, 08:42:33 AM »
Ceallach - What? You aren't impressed with their enthusiasm? >:D

There is a fine line between enthusiasm and stalking.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5068 on: December 16, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
I work in an industry where we do have to have some staff available EVERY day of the year.   On the major holidays, most departments will post the schedule via an email, and the managers will often ask first then if not enough volunteers, then by seniority (some may do by most to newest or some do newest to most).  When I was first there, for a while, I worked just about every major holiday.  What really got me is my mother telling me to work them so those with kids could have the day off (did she think I would like to spend time with family lol).  I have a spine now, and do not tell her what holidays I work vs not.

Some types of places always have to have to be staffed due to the nature of the work, and if you go into that type of work (restaurants, hotels/resorts, some stores, medical, police, tech support for internet/cable tv etc), you need to realize that you may have to work some holidays.

Just got into this with a friend at work. We are closed for Christmas Day, but that is the only day. We work for a big box store. We don't have Boxing Day off. Never have, in all my years of working retail (sometimes it falls on your regular day off, but not often).

Mr. Complainyhead started in about being scheduled for Boxing day (he has Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off) and how he expects massive holiday pay, overtime, and an extra day off for 'working the holiday'. I said the same thing everyone else has said since the dawn of time. "We work retail. We don't get the day off."

"But it is a holiday!!"
"Not for us."
"It's a government holiday! They have to give it to us!!"
"It is a bank holiday. We are not a bank. No, they don't."

We went round and round on this one, and he wouldn't accept the idea that retail do not get perks like multiple days off at Christmas. And he'll complain again when the week comes and he does not get an extra day or extra pay for it, like he complains every dang year.  ::) Ugh.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5069 on: December 16, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »

Yes, I have to admit, I think that the fault lies more with the chef here. Unless the restaurant closes on Christmas Day, I would expect that *someone* will have to work it, and as SoCalVal says, it's the nature of the industry. If he wants holidays off, he should look at doing office work or something.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."