Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1369640 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #5160 on: December 19, 2013, 05:44:26 PM »
Blatantly falsifying one's time card is an immediate PD action.  Putting in that one worked 10 hours when the hours scheduled and the hours of operation don't support it is stupendously PD.   :o

Arrrrggggh! 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

nuit93

« Reply #5161 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »
Blatantly falsifying one's time card is an immediate PD action.  Putting in that one worked 10 hours when the hours scheduled and the hours of operation don't support it is stupendously PD.   :o

Arrrrggggh!

I had a former CW who would get to work an hour or two before her shift, clock in, then go do something else until her shift started.

She was later fired, but it was for something completely different and it took a few months.  Why she didn't get immediately canned for the timeclock misuse is beyond me.  :o

Dr. F.

« Reply #5162 on: December 19, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
Getting back to the thread topic, theres someone in my office who is slowly heading towards PD.
Its not the fact that he seems to purposely eat a diet to cause as much noxious gas as possible, its the fact he will seemingly happily do it noisily and obviously in a busy office, even while people are actually talking to him about work-related stuff.
I dont believe its any kind of medical issue but even if it is, for petes sake excuse yourself and go outside!

My now-retired former boss told me of a situation that occurred before I came to work at my current job.  It seems a lady in a certain department was unhappy with her job and coworkers.  She would deliberately eat certain foods with dire digestive effects and subsequently emit frequent and loud noxious fumes into the work environment.  After many complaints from her coworkers, my boss had to call a meeting with her.  She claimed she couldn't help it and had a medical condition but declined to provide any proof of such condition.  He told her it was disruptive to her coworkers and to try to tone it down and go to the bathroom if possible.  It continued unabated and she was eventually terminated.  I don't think that was the only reason, her attitude in general had a lot to do with it, but that was definitely one of the major factors.

Oof. I had one of those. An employee of mine was splitting an office with an employee of another supervisor. Other Employee insisted upon eating cold cans of tuna fish (ick) in their shared office. My Employee asked him several times to desist, as ME was (and is!) a hard-core vegetarian, and the smell was penetrating, no  matter one's diet. OE refused to comply. His supervisor was uninterested in helping. I eventually had to request a new office for ME.

ME has moved on to a new, awesome position. OE was fired after issuing a number of death-threats against other employees.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5163 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »
Or as Bugs Bunny put it "what a maroon"...(crunchy carrot noises)....

Karma strikes...the lesson is...don't add personal holiday shopping to a company errand...

The lesson is not to be seen with your personal holiday shopping while running a company errand ;)

No - the lesson is not to vanish for five hours for a "quick errand" AND get caught with an armload of shopping bags, too.

One "quick stop" for meds or something urgent while on a trip to pick up something urgent - probably could handle.  Several shopping bags and five hours is far, far too much time diverted from "work".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PeterM

« Reply #5164 on: December 20, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »
Gym teacher fired for being straight?

http://tinyurl.com/kec9pw4

???

I get the impression his supervisor doesn't like men.

That whole article reads like an unusually subtle piece from The Onion. Or maybe a "Glee" script. Is Sue Sylvester gay? Doesn't matter.

If it's true, it's proof (as if it were needed) that people from any group you'd care to name can be idiotic bigots who do things that are likely to cost their employers simply obscene amounts of money.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5165 on: December 20, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
Gym teacher fired for being straight?

http://tinyurl.com/kec9pw4

???

I get the impression his supervisor doesn't like men.

That whole article reads like an unusually subtle piece from The Onion. Or maybe a "Glee" script. Is Sue Sylvester gay? Doesn't matter.

If it's true, it's proof (as if it were needed) that people from any group you'd care to name can be idiotic bigots who do things that are likely to cost their employers simply obscene amounts of money.

$41,370 a year TUITION???  Talk about obscene amounts of money!  I wonder what his whole salary was.  My guess it that it was probably not much more than that. 

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #5166 on: December 21, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
If you are going to send an e-card at Christmas to the contractor with whose services you dispensed mid-year, a generic 'Season's Greetings' would be better than one which says 'You're an important part of what we do! We couldn't manage without you!'

It would also be better to BCC it, because nothing says 'you, personally, matter to us' like discovering you're on a mailing list of 52, which includes the name of the person sending the e-card, who has sent one to herself at work, from the same address.

Also, BCCing it would mean that the recipient wouldn't spend a day before Christmas wondering just precisely how unethical it would be to harvest useful contact names from the mailing list.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5167 on: December 21, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
If you are going to send an e-card at Christmas to the contractor with whose services you dispensed mid-year, a generic 'Season's Greetings' would be better than one which says 'You're an important part of what we do! We couldn't manage without you!'

It would also be better to BCC it, because nothing says 'you, personally, matter to us' like discovering you're on a mailing list of 52, which includes the name of the person sending the e-card, who has sent one to herself at work, from the same address.

Also, BCCing it would mean that the recipient wouldn't spend a day before Christmas wondering just precisely how unethical it would be to harvest useful contact names from the mailing list.

Maybe your New Years resolution NEXT YEAR could be to be more ethical.  :)

bloo

« Reply #5168 on: December 21, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

Maybe your New Years resolution NEXT YEAR could be to be more ethical.  :)

Love both these posts. I really LOL'd! :-)

Syrse

« Reply #5169 on: December 21, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
I've got one waiting to happen, I think...

Young guy that started at our work a few months back. I work in retail. Food Store.
In no particular order, some stuff he pulled:

- Rushing in at the last second, late, clocking in before going to change into his work outfit. When called out on it, he said he felt silly being late when he actually was on time. Err... no, you're late  ???
He kept doing it, so when he did it while I was counting the safe, I reported it. Boss called him into the office, told him he had to stop doing that, he started about not wanting to be 'late' in the computer. Boss asked him flat out if he'd rather be late or fired. He then asked why he did it again this morning. He claimed high and low that he hadn't done it. Of course he didn't know I was counting the money behind the door so he couldn't see me. Boss wasn't impressed.
- He is so... very.. slow! Whenever any of us are on till 1, we make sure to keep the speed up so we only have to call an extra till when needed, because, well, the rest of us has stuff to do in the store. Whenever he is till 1, you can't even turn your back because he will call you right away... and you will find one extra customer, both with two items in their cart. And then he'll waste 5 minutes talking to that first customer, after that transaction has ended. Which he will also does in rush hours.
- We get deliveries at night, with no stock room to speak off. So everything that comes in, has to be out on the floor by the end of the day. Whenever we're behind, he'll go 'oh well, we'll never get this done anyway' and slow down to a snails pace. How about we try and contain the damage instead?!
- He asks customers questions. A lot. Personal questions. And he'll keep asking. And asking. Until it holds up the till. And, my personal peeve: he touches the customers kids without even asking.
- I repeatedly catch him giving out wrong information, or cutting corners. Like handing out the very much outdated list on sugar free products that we no longer carry. Or not knowing what to do during a fire and refusing to go read the instructions on it. Or claiming that product X will be available within three days, no problem, he'll put one aside for the customer, and then you're trying very frantically to find a polite way jump in and go 'actually miss, let me just check in the computer if this is actually in stock and planned for dispatch, and I'm sorry, but we can't order single items because we don't have a stock room, you can only order in bulk.' And then after the customer is gone, you go over the procedure, again, and he goes 'oh yeah I already know all of that, I just figured it probably was going to get here anyway and what's it going to hurt to put one item aside?' Err... where do I even start??
- During his lunch break, he went into the store to buy lunch, returned to find long lines... and walked right into the break room. A coworker followed him to ask him what he was doing. 'I'll just eat this first and pay later.' Dude, that's theft and grounds for immediate termination!  :o
- Second time, lunch break, long lines... he turns to me and asks 'hey how about I just run this under my number at that till real quick?' I had to explain to him, very slow and clear, that you are not allowed to touch the tills when clocked out.
When coworkers buy anything, we sign their receipt. Lunch break, quarter break, end of shift, doesn't matter. Without that signed receipt, if the random check police (I don't know how they're called in English, sorry!) check you at the door, that's, again, grounds for theft and immediate termination.

He's gotten a few warnings already, and his trial period is coming to an end (trail is four months). All of a sudden, he's in a panic because he realized there's a talk with big boss planned at the end of his trail. The rest of us didn't have that, oddly enough. We just got a simple 'hey your standard contract is here, wanna pop in real quick and go over it?'

But I don't think he's getting it. The boss pulled him aside and told him how he was standing around too much, not doing anything. And that if he wanted his contract he had to step up. Guess what he did? If you guessed going into the loading bay and fretting about what boss just said for half an hour instead of working... yeah  ::)

eltf177

« Reply #5170 on: December 22, 2013, 06:50:37 AM »
Wow, Syrse, that co-irker really must _not_ want the job! I somehow seeing his probation period not ending well...

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5171 on: December 22, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
I've got one waiting to happen, I think...

Young guy that started at our work a few months back. I work in retail. Food Store.
In no particular order, some stuff he pulled:

- Rushing in at the last second, late, clocking in before going to change into his work outfit. When called out on it, he said he felt silly being late when he actually was on time. Err... no, you're late  ???
He kept doing it, so when he did it while I was counting the safe, I reported it. Boss called him into the office, told him he had to stop doing that, he started about not wanting to be 'late' in the computer. Boss asked him flat out if he'd rather be late or fired. He then asked why he did it again this morning. He claimed high and low that he hadn't done it. Of course he didn't know I was counting the money behind the door so he couldn't see me. Boss wasn't impressed.
- He is so... very.. slow! Whenever any of us are on till 1, we make sure to keep the speed up so we only have to call an extra till when needed, because, well, the rest of us has stuff to do in the store. Whenever he is till 1, you can't even turn your back because he will call you right away... and you will find one extra customer, both with two items in their cart. And then he'll waste 5 minutes talking to that first customer, after that transaction has ended. Which he will also does in rush hours.
- We get deliveries at night, with no stock room to speak off. So everything that comes in, has to be out on the floor by the end of the day. Whenever we're behind, he'll go 'oh well, we'll never get this done anyway' and slow down to a snails pace. How about we try and contain the damage instead?!
- He asks customers questions. A lot. Personal questions. And he'll keep asking. And asking. Until it holds up the till. And, my personal peeve: he touches the customers kids without even asking.
- I repeatedly catch him giving out wrong information, or cutting corners. Like handing out the very much outdated list on sugar free products that we no longer carry. Or not knowing what to do during a fire and refusing to go read the instructions on it. Or claiming that product X will be available within three days, no problem, he'll put one aside for the customer, and then you're trying very frantically to find a polite way jump in and go 'actually miss, let me just check in the computer if this is actually in stock and planned for dispatch, and I'm sorry, but we can't order single items because we don't have a stock room, you can only order in bulk.' And then after the customer is gone, you go over the procedure, again, and he goes 'oh yeah I already know all of that, I just figured it probably was going to get here anyway and what's it going to hurt to put one item aside?' Err... where do I even start??
- During his lunch break, he went into the store to buy lunch, returned to find long lines... and walked right into the break room. A coworker followed him to ask him what he was doing. 'I'll just eat this first and pay later.' Dude, that's theft and grounds for immediate termination!  :o
- Second time, lunch break, long lines... he turns to me and asks 'hey how about I just run this under my number at that till real quick?' I had to explain to him, very slow and clear, that you are not allowed to touch the tills when clocked out.
When coworkers buy anything, we sign their receipt. Lunch break, quarter break, end of shift, doesn't matter. Without that signed receipt, if the random check police (I don't know how they're called in English, sorry!) check you at the door, that's, again, grounds for theft and immediate termination.

He's gotten a few warnings already, and his trial period is coming to an end (trail is four months). All of a sudden, he's in a panic because he realized there's a talk with big boss planned at the end of his trail. The rest of us didn't have that, oddly enough. We just got a simple 'hey your standard contract is here, wanna pop in real quick and go over it?'

But I don't think he's getting it. The boss pulled him aside and told him how he was standing around too much, not doing anything. And that if he wanted his contract he had to step up. Guess what he did? If you guessed going into the loading bay and fretting about what boss just said for half an hour instead of working... yeah  ::)

We would call it 'random security checks' done by a manager or security staff. We don't have to have a signature - the cashier's name is printed on the receipt. And if we lose the receipt they can check the computer for the transaction. But the result is the same. No proof of sale, no job!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Syrse

« Reply #5172 on: December 22, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
blue2000, while our receipts do print out the name, you can just as easily use someone else's login and pretend cashier X rang you up. The signing off is a double safely, for both parties.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5173 on: December 22, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
Oof. I had one of those. An employee of mine was splitting an office with an employee of another supervisor. Other Employee insisted upon eating cold cans of tuna fish (ick) in their shared office. My Employee asked him several times to desist, as ME was (and is!) a hard-core vegetarian, and the smell was penetrating, no  matter one's diet. OE refused to comply. His supervisor was uninterested in helping. I eventually had to request a new office for ME.

ME has moved on to a new, awesome position. OE was fired after issuing a number of death-threats against other employees.

Your ME was a bit of a snowflake, in my opinion, himself. He can be as hard-core as he wants, but he can't tell other people what to eat for lunch. As a boss, I'd not be impressed by, "I MUST have my own office! I can't stand the trauma of the tuna!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JoW

« Reply #5174 on: December 22, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
..... clocking in before going to change into his work outfit.....
Is this a mandatory work uniform or just clothing that he likes to work in?  Do you work in the US?
Where I work you are required to clock in before you change into your mandatory work uniform.  We were told that anything mandatory has to be paid time.    (We aren't allowed to wear our uniforms off company property.) 

I'm in the US. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:47:55 PM by JoW »